PDA

View Full Version : Jack fly

big_george
12-03-2003, 09:02 PM
Can any one on the dark side suggest a good jack fly?.Interested in hook brands,size ,materal and colours used.
cheers big george ;)

Maxg
12-03-2003, 10:28 PM
Well a standard white Deceiver, 4/0 works pretty well, but you are mostly fishing darkish water among mangroves so bright flies, like white with a bit of flash work well. There is some evidence to say that jacks may not see all the colours, being limited to blue green, but Lutjanus species in oceanic water do see blue/green/red.
But in darkish water reds and attenuated rapidly so its better to say on the bright flies with flash and some water push, like gurgle. Cheers Max

Brett_Finger
13-03-2003, 02:28 AM
Biggie,
White Lefty's Dciver in 2/0,chuck in a bit of flash and your away,also prawn Flys in similer.
Shaun Ash makes my prawn flys (and white decivers ;D ) and thay are the best!!
Hookin,Brett :)

Jack_Lives_Here
13-03-2003, 04:42 AM
Yeh - a fly with white and flash like max and brett said, has managed me a few. Clousers with heavy lead eyes for the deeper stuff. Mono snag guard a necessary evil most times, when fishing heavy cover.
Hooks - don't think you can go past the Gamagatsu SL12 range. Strong as hell and nice and sharp.
Still have not managed a serious one yet. 38cm is my best on the wand to date.
They are sure a challenge.
Good luck.

Zeeke
13-03-2003, 07:19 PM
Dont tell anyone this.. but im bloody hopeless at flyfishing *crawls under a rock* and i can count all the fish ive caught on 2 hands... but of of the fish ive caught were jacks.. and they were both caught on the same fly.. a white foam popper on a size 3/0 hook.. with the usuall bit of fur around the ass and a tiny bit of tinsel.. popper also has 2 of those bubbley lookin eyes .. but thats what id suggest

Tim

Steve_Ooi
13-03-2003, 09:24 PM
gold clouser no 1 jack fly.
after this white deceivers ,pink things, black n barred.

but if im after jacks i will always pickup the gold clouser.

Steve Ooi

big_george
14-03-2003, 11:39 AM
Sorry about late thank you as i have been away from nett.
cheers george.