PDA

View Full Version : Mary River Cod fingerlings!

Fitzy
28-08-2001, 07:27 PM
At the recent (in May) southern Qld fish stocking workshop the issue of supply (lack there of) of Mary river Cod for release by stocking groups was discussed with some emotion by all & sundry. There are stocking groups desperate to get hold of fingerlings for release at various lakes in SE Qld but there is only 1 hatchery allowed by QFS to breed/sell them where others with brood stock are not allowed to do so. This hatchery has failed to produce for the last 2 years. After we did some stirring of the pot over the issue, QFS came up with the solution to give this hatchery one last chance to produce or give up the sole permit for producing M R Cod with assurances from this hatchery that things would be fine this year. ::)

As sure as Mormons ride Malvern Stars, I'm now told that this hatchery is of the oppinion that he can't supply yet AGAIN. #>:( So no doubt, if this is the case, stocking groups & therefore the public wont have fish for yet another year. This set-up needs belting up someone clacker!! Fair Dinkum!! Heads need to roll.

I do sympathise with the bloke after splitting up with the wife or something, but as I said at the workshop, "tough titties, we've got dams to stock, if you can't do it, give it up for someone else who can do the job".

What do you recon about this turnout?? Is it good enough or am I being a bit harsh here?

Fitzy..

This is no indication on the Gerry Cook Hatchery at Lake MacDonald that breeds M R Cod for the purpose of saving the species in their natural range in the Mary River itself. They seem to be having no troubles. Good on em too! :D ;D

Cremated_Reddog
28-08-2001, 09:44 PM
I don't think it is harsh. Like you said tuff titties about the marriage and if he can't produce hand the reins over to someone who can.I know nothing about this species but seems like you guys up there are passionet enough about them to want good quality stockings of the species. To me it sounds a bit like you guys need a project like the one we have down south called project bigfish for the freshwater cod.Have included the web address for you to look at maybe these guys can be of assistance.
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # Cheers Drew

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # www.projectbigfish.org.au

Fitzy
29-08-2001, 06:11 AM
Hi Drew,
Thanks for the info, will check it out.
Good mate Birdy has told me some great things about project bigfish & he recons there's more fish in some rivers now than he's ever seen before. It seems to be doing the trick.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Katrina
08-09-2001, 05:52 PM
;) Too right!! Everthing possible should be done to put this species back into SEQ waterways. The old finger should be pulled out, and get those fishies pumping out a few offspring. Hell, I'll put a few in my pool if anyone can help me arrange it. 12 months to aquaculture in suburbia, yee hah!!!!

lordy
11-09-2001, 09:28 AM
Fitzy, I've got to agree with you. Throw it open and let one or 2 others have a go as well. If he can start producing in good numbers then the license reverts back in 5 years. Until then the more the "Mary"er I say. Anything that eats the bass baitfish has to be good! ;)

Slates
25-09-2001, 08:35 AM
I reckon you're spot on there Fitzy.
If it was a private industry, the second the bloke said he couldn't provide, they'd be off hunting for another supplier! :-/

What is the story with cod in Somerset etc?
Are the all Mary R Cod?
Are there many people who target them? I remember seeing Harry Watson in FWF with some great examples of cod, but you just don't seem to hear too much about them up in SEQ? ???

I remember a few years back participating in the SEQ C+R comp and I think there was only about one landed for the whole weekend.
Are they becoming more prevelant (doesn't sound too good by your post!) or are they just one of those 'hard to catch' species?

Cheers, Slates

PS: there is a slim chance I might be up for this years SEQ C+R!

Fitzy
05-10-2001, 05:15 PM
Hi Slates,
The cod on the east of the great divide in SE Qld are Mary River cod. There was the odd Murray in Big W & S/Set & a fair few in Boondooma but all stocked these days are Marys.
They are becoming more common in SE Qld lakes but will almost definatly drop off again due to lack of supply to stocking groups. Howver the Mary System itself should be doing rather well as the whole of the fish produced at the Jerry Cook Hatchery go to the Mary system.
For numbers stocked, they turn up pretty regularly, particularly in Somerset.

All Day,
fitz