PDA

View Full Version : Fish Relocation

dazza
15-12-2002, 03:21 AM
Hi All,
We were having a discussion at work about keeping big barra rather than putting them back (impoundment fish). One line of thought is that it gives the others a bit of a chance to grow. How much food would a 50lb barra eat?
Why cant these fish be relocated and released in the saltwater?
Are there issues with genetics?
It would value add even further.
These questions have probably been asked before and I apologise for my ignorance.
I have only fished in a dam once (Boondooma), but it is looking like a very attractive option. Specially since my mate is moving to Tinaroo.
Cheers
Dazza

PG
30-01-2003, 02:22 PM
I've had a little bit to do with fsh stocking information and the issues surrounding it. The best I could say is that the genetics issue is a real one. Even Barra have different strains and therefore should only be stocked into their endemic areas. Perhaps your best bet would be to contact Department of Primary Industries and have a chat to a Fisheries Officer. I think Brisbane's man to contact is a Mr. Ivan Rudd.

DRJ
05-02-2003, 08:37 AM
The big issue with large barra is as you have suggested the volume of food consumed and then the volume of smaller barra they consume.
Obviously the big ones can't breed and if you are lucky enought to catch a big one I think you would find most anglers would be happy for you to take it. With the new regulations you can take an oversize barra from the SIP dams (QLD) any time of the year now.
So to help the smaller ones become big ones it wouldn't hurt to take out the bigger ones.
The only thing that stops relocating the barra are practical aspects (keeping it alive to move it to an esturine system) and the genetics.
The comments by PG re genetics are correct.

dazza
08-02-2003, 05:07 AM
Thanks for the replies guy's.
A mate has an "ex research" barra in a fish tank in his house. It's bottom jaw is badly displaced. I suppose a fish with that deformity would not survive in the wild. It can only eat dead food. Can't inhale a livie, although it tries!!!
The hardest thing about re location would be keeping the bloody thing alive. It was more a hypothetical discussion, with some very "bright" ideas on transport containers.
Cheers
dazza

DRJ
08-02-2003, 08:22 AM
I'd keep the fish as a "research" project as it hasn't got a chance in the wild if it can't take live tucker.

dazza
08-02-2003, 10:10 AM
Hi DRJ,
There s no way he would let it go, he has had it for a few years now and it is a pet and obviously its genetics are a bit haywire. It will be interesting to see how big it gets.
The fish originally came from Darwin, from a research station up there.
Cheers
Dazza

DRJ
08-02-2003, 10:23 AM
Given what the poor thing has had to put up with to help us get breeding better let's hope it has a very long, healthy and contented life chewing on dead stuff.