PDA

View Full Version : jungle perch

brendan
21-06-2002, 06:03 AM
What are the plans for jungle perch in terms of stocking and trying to build up there stocks.
They are one of the most exiting fish to catch up here in the north, but because of their aggressive style they are being cleaned up by unthoughtful people (much to my discust). I believe they should follow sooty's in stocking impoundments and mainly native rivers, as I have caught some horses and i reckon they would grow very large in dams, although they are a very fragile fish.
Is anyone at all trying to breed/stock them anywhere or any research being done would be keen to know about anyone with any info on these fish when I get a scanner I will put some on. Has anyone at all got any in dams/ponds?
thanks

Brendan (heading up mossman this weekend to chase them)

spook
17-09-2003, 01:05 PM
I've been out of the Stocking game for a few years now, but I haven't heard of any concreate plans to stock them, the problem would I assume be securing adequate brood stock, learning more about their breeding habits. I think they only breed in salt water or brackish water, as Bass and Barra, so they would only be a put and take fishery, nothing wrong with that though!
Mainly i suppose how they would adapt to Dam life, as an example, Mary River Cod have been stocked for quite a few years now and are still not being caught in large numbers yet. But there is a second reason for the cod, repopulation of an endangered species, and on that note why not Jungle Perch! ::)

DRJ
18-09-2003, 04:36 AM
Jungle Perch are currently on a list of desired species to stock by the stocking groups.

I am aware that one hatchery has managed to spawn some Jungle perch however they did not survive - this is not bad news as the research and learning has only recently started in earnest. The hatchery operater is confident of getting his first batch this upcoming season (yes they do require salt to breed - same as barra, bass etc).

The next issue that arises is that of where they can be stocked. As DPI have a translocation policy they will only be allowed into areas where they are or were.

Have to agree with you Brendan that they would make a great species in dams along the same lines as sooties. It is a shame you have seen idiots culling them.

They do require some high quality water and habitat so this will be another consideration before stocking.

Darren

lordy
26-09-2003, 07:04 PM
We need to raise about $30K+ and get industry support before stocking and breeding trials can really get going. They won't allow stocking until all the genetic work is done (ie are nth JPs any different to sth JPs). Given the limited isolated pockets in SEQ they wouldn't want the nth genes flooding the gene pool. They would be a great fish to stock, basically a superior bass for stocking purposes, growing up to twice as fast.