PDA

View Full Version : where to get fingerlings(jacks)

krazyfisher
17-12-2003, 12:59 PM
where would I be able to get jack fingerlings for a fresh water dam. I t is for a mate of mine in the mackay area
thanks

agnes_jack
18-12-2003, 04:00 AM
Krazyfisher
Dont know of anywhere in the mackay area but the gladstone area water board hatchery does them as well as Abbington hatchery at childers. Maybe if you gave them a call they may be able to put you on to someone closer. You may find that you have to book them some time in advance as numbers are very limited at this stage. I rang around last year and they can cost up around the $5 each mark. If they manage to Have a good season the prices may come down a little.

Hope that helps a bit Tony

agnes_jack
18-12-2003, 04:05 AM
Heres the phone numbers.
Abbington hatcherie-0741261844
Gladstone water board-49729548

Tony

DRJ
18-12-2003, 05:24 AM
Krazyfisher I suggest you check permit requirements with QFS as the fishstocking association can't yet get approval for jacks in the Mackay area.

Darren

agnes_jack
18-12-2003, 09:08 AM
DRJ
Why the no approval for jacks in the mackay area.
I was under the impresion that it is the same genetic stocks right along the east coast?

DRJ
18-12-2003, 09:26 AM
I am no expert but my understanding is the key issue is actually translocation.

QFS has a policy now that basically states that unless a species of fish existed in a particular area then it can not be stocked there. This does not apply to waterways where previous permits have been issued for species that have been translocated already.

An example would be Eungella Dam - it is unlikely jacks would ever of existed in Broken River so no permit will be issued for jacks in Eungella Dam. We are still discussing the jacks issue with QFS regarding stocking however I wouldn't expect us to resolve the issue in the short term. The other issue is (as agnes_jack pointed out) that fingerlings, if you can get them, are very expensive and therefore to do large scale stockings at this time my not be a viable option. A farm dam where smaller numbers are stocked may be a viable option for your mate.

If your mates dam is in an area where jacks may of (or still do exist) then he has a shot. There are some other posts around (and Fitzy answered one of them very well about establishing plants and forage species first) on stocking farm dams that your mate should consider first but in the meantime talk to QFS about the possibility of stocking jacks.

Regards
Darren

lordy
18-12-2003, 12:21 PM
QFS have pretty much banned freshwater stocking of Jacks for the present. They are trialling them in a few locations and only when the trails are done will they likely let them go to other areas (probably after even more trials in those areas). I'd imagine that freshwater dams might fall into the above ban under the risk that fish could escape.

For some reason the application of the translocation policy is patchy at best. Why where Jacks trialled in Tinaroo, its not as if Tinaroo is anything like Jack country (being above a water fall and such). The translocation policies existed before the fish where relocated there.

Fitzy
18-12-2003, 06:42 PM
QFS have pretty much banned freshwater stocking of Jacks for the present. They are trialling them in a few locations and only when the trails are done will they likely let them go to other areas (probably after even more trials in those areas). I'd imagine that freshwater dams might fall into the above ban under the risk that fish could escape.

For some reason the application of the translocation policy is patchy at best. Why where Jacks trialled in Tinaroo, its not as if Tinaroo is anything like Jack country (being above a water fall and such). The translocation policies existed before the fish where relocated there.
Christ Lordy (hahaha I cracked a funny),
Dont start me on the bloody translocation policy & its part time use (when it serves someones agenda).
Nothing wrong with the policy itself, but how it & the precautionary principle are either applied, over applied or ignored on an ad hoc basis.
I recon its either in or its out, not the hokey pokey as is the current status quo.

fitz

Brett_Finger
20-12-2003, 02:46 AM
yah Fitz,
if the rule is made, it is made to apply to all the people all the time,once again this seems to NOT be the case.
but i sure there will be some valid reason as to the reason Jacks lived abouv a waterfall,maby thay where there before the the continent was formed and got stuck whern the range was pushed up out the earth... :P :P :P :P
Hookin,Brett (being a smartass) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D