PDA

View Full Version : 2003/04 SIP allocation

Fitzy
14-05-2004, 07:19 PM
Primary Industries & Fisheries
The Hon. Henry Palaszczuk MP
27 April 2004

Funding to boost freshwater fishing

The Queensland Government has announced almost $400,000 to raise and buy native fish fingerlings for 29 freshwater impoundments across the State.

Primary Industries and Fisheries Minister Henry Palaszczuk said the allocation was under the Stocked Impoundment Permit (SIP) introduced in July 2000.

The scheme helps local fish stocking groups to release more fish fingerlings in those impoundments.

Mr Palaszczuk said the number of permits issued in 2003-04 (from 1 March 2003 to 28 February 2004) was 33,511, which was an increase over the previous 12 months when 31,740 permits were issued.

"This is good news when you consider the impact of the drought on a number of participating impoundments," he said.

"However, the increased number of permits issued was for weekly permits and the number of yearly permits actually declined. Therefore, the funding available for restocking has declined slightly compared to 2002-03."

"The Government is supporting these stocking groups in their efforts to enhance the freshwater fishing in Queensland. It is good news for local anglers, but a major drawcard for visitors who are keen to enjoy good fishing."

Under the scheme, individuals or a couple can buy an annual permit for $35 or a weekly permit for $7. Fishers aged under 18 years do not require a permit. A 10% discount applies on the annual fee for holders of all entitlement cards.

Permits are available from several local businesses operating near impoundments participating in the scheme. The permits can be purchased online at www.dpi.qld.gov.au/shop

The stocked impoundments are Lake Dyer, Laidley; Lake Clarendon, Gatton; Bjelke-Petersen Dam, Murgon; Borumba Dam, Imbil; Lake Monduran, Gin Gin; Boondooma Dam, Proston; Burdekin Falls Dam, Ravenswood; Tinaroo Falls Dam, Atherton; Lenthalls Dam, Howard; Leslie Dam, Warwick; Maroon Dam, Boonah; Cania Dam, Monto; Moogerah Dam, Kalbar; Connolly Dam, Warwick; Peter Faust Dam, Proserpine; Coolmunda Dam, Inglewood; Somerset Dam, Esk; Eungella Dam, Eungella; Teemburra Dam, Mackay; Gordonbrook Dam, Kingaroy; Lake Gregory, Bundaberg; Wivenhoe Dam, Fernvale; Kinchant Dam, Mackay; Lake MacDonald, Cooroy; Wuruma Dam, Eidsvold; Glenlyon Dam, Stanthorpe; Cressbrook Dam, Toowoomba; Cooby Dam, Toowoomba and Callide Dam, Biloela.

Media contact: Kirby Anderson (0418) 197 350

Impoundments 2003-04 SIP allocation
Bjelke-Petersen $24 201
Boondooma $20 843
Borumba $9 830
Burdekin $20 569
Callide $12 977
Cania $10 100
Connolly $1 440
Cooby $9 610
Coolmunda $14 075
Cressbrook $13 773
Eungella $7 524
Fred Haigh $29 057
Glenlyon $15 212
Gordonbrook $3 206
Kinchant $7 353
Lake Clarendon $3 400
Lake Dyer $2 516
Lake Gregory $1 520
Lake McDonald $4 527
Lenthalls $7 100
Leslie $14 724
Maroon $7 621
Moogerah $9 239
Peter Faust $26 808
Somerset $33 064
Teemburra $11 929
Tinaroo $28 686
Wivenhoe $23 747
Wuruma $10 848

http://statements.cabinet.qld.gov.au/cgi-bin/display-statement.pl?id=940&db=media

Fitzy
14-05-2004, 07:33 PM
Somerset topped the income & that's probably a fair indication of the good fish it produces & the pressure it gets.

Interesting to see Lake Monduran (Fred Haigh Dam) is right up the top (6th). A good reflection on its "coming of age" as a barra/barra mixed fishery in the past couple of seasons.

Number 1, 2, 4 & 5 top earners were bass locations. Food for thought.....

Overall total in the fund dropped, probably a fair reflection of the drought & low water levels at many locations. A bloody good reason for minimum water levels in stocked lakes.

IMHO Lake Clarendon should be dropped from the scheme. Hasn't had any water for as long as I can remember. #The decision to drop out rests with the relevant stocking group however.

Fitzy..

klyons
15-05-2004, 03:33 PM
Fitzy
Interesting also that Clarendon and Dyer, both basically puddles both got more funds than Lake Gregory, a body with relatively stable water levels. I suppose this is the price paid for being pretty well unknown to a lot of anglers.

Kev

Fitzy
15-05-2004, 05:10 PM
Fitzy
Interesting also that Clarendon and Dyer, both basically puddles both got more funds than Lake Gregory, a body with relatively stable water levels. I suppose this is the price paid for being pretty well unknown to a lot of anglers.

Kev
Yep, very surprizing. Gregory (the duckpond) is a great little fishery. I think with a round of the ABT Bass Electric series there this year it will help get the name out there. Dyer also has Laidley & Gatton right on its doorstep & a caravan park/campground there. This always helps bring in the visotors/tourists. Gregory's got that broken down lean too, the smashed up Bar B Q & no ramp (that's all there was last time I was there).
Being smack bang in the middle of Bundy & Childers I think one of them towns should be picking the ball up & promoting Lake Gregory a bit more.

Fitzy..

http://www.ausfish.com.au/fitzy/lakegregory.htm

dasher
17-05-2004, 07:14 AM
G'day Fitzy, checked out the duckpond on your website and you say camping permitted, but in the 5th edition of B to B it states No Camping. ??? Also is there much bank access for fishing. ??? Thanks in advance mate. ;D

Fitzy
17-05-2004, 03:27 PM
G'day Fitzy, checked out the duckpond on your website and you say camping permitted, but in the 5th edition of B to B it states No Camping. ??? #Also is there much bank access for fishing. ??? Thanks in advance mate. ;D
Dasher there's no official campground there. No official anything to be totally honest. A dirt track in, no ramp no nothing, except an old lean-too shelter that someone/thing tore down & a smashed up Bar B Q that is probably fixable with a bit of work.
You could walk all the way around the duckpond if you wanted to (would have to swim over the channel tho)
Ive walked probably a third of the way around it before & up the channel to the bridge & camped on the bank no probs.
I dont really think Sunwater give 2 hoots.
Is a great little fishery that is probably under-utilised both by locals & visitors.

Cheers,

fitz..

dasher
17-05-2004, 06:57 PM
Thanks Fitzy, could be an answer mate. Involved in a fishing and SOCIAL club, and looking for landbased fishing so sounds OK. Those of us that really want to fish can PO from the rest. ;D ;D ;D

dasher
20-05-2004, 10:06 AM
Sorry to be pest Fitzy, but some of the group just like to throw their line in and sit next to their eskies. What baits should they be using ??? I don't want to get into trouble cos I'm a plastic chucker and have to do the research for these sites. ::) I figure If the lure boys have a good day and the slackos miss out, guess who's going to be the blame. :o

cheers cobber. ;D

P.S. Do the spinners or fly boys need waders. ???

Fitzy
20-05-2004, 06:31 PM
Dasher,
There's commonly alot of fringe weed at Gregory. Will be hard to fish from the edge. If shore bound, waders could help get out past the weed, also good since its getting colder every week!
If bait is what it going to be used, I'd recommend suspending a live shrimp under a float & try to get it out to the edge of the weeds. For the eel tailed catties a simple worm on the bottom will work for them.

Recon you could get a couple hundred folks sitting around the bank & they wont get in each others way.

dasher
21-05-2004, 05:26 AM
Thanks Fitzy you're a bloody champ mate. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] Will table info at next meeting then the balls in their court. ::) Thanks again mate. ;D

Fitzy
16-06-2004, 09:28 PM
Also interesting to note that the top 4 earners have tourist parks at their lakes. It certainly does help to draw anglers & therefore preference votes if good facilities are available at a location.

I've been against a preference system from the start & still am. I warned all & sundry against playing around with the allocation formula claiming that it could well see stocking groups pitted against one another vying for angler votes. This is now appearing. Some of the earlier "complainers" are seeing their lakes dropping down in preference percentages as the various PR machines are kicking into gear.

fitzy..

lordy
17-06-2004, 12:11 PM
Also interesting to note that the top 4 earners have tourist parks at their lakes. It certainly does help to draw anglers & therefore preference votes if good facilities are available at a location.

interesting. do the boaties/fishos go because of the tourists parks, or do the tourist parks go to where the booaties/fishos are. chicken or the egg.

baldyhead
24-06-2004, 12:44 PM
Just a note I came across, certainly worth a read guys.
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, June 21, 2004
Subject: Restocking of barramundi into Tinaroo.

> Greetings,
> Details of barramundi stocking into Tinaroo using Stocked Impoundment
Scheme funds;
> 2001/2002. 47,500 fingerling - 50-70mm purchased from Barramundi Waters
> and Bluewater Barramundi.
> cost $14,327.00.
> 2002/2003 8/11/2002 -50,542 fingerling. all from Kuranda Fish Farm.
average of 70mm
> 12/12/2002 - 38,479 fingerling cost 35,283,53.
> 28/2/2003 - 40,089 fingerling.
>
> 2003/2004 13/10/2003 - 1135 fish Sugarland Barramundi $3,500.00 average
3000mm
> 15-16/6/2004 - 2,243 fish Sugarland Barramundi $7,000.00 average 2950mm.
>
> SIP's funds have been used to pay for Public Liability Insurance on the
Fish Barrier Net, purchase of tagging guns and tags for the Infofish
Monitoring Program, and maintenance of the net container - all uses
associated with stocking activities..
> Mark's fax number is 40 45 2294.
> Regards Ron.
> Beryl Liston
> Regional Liaision Officer. FNQ.
> DeC. (Distance & e-Learning Centre)
> Phone or Fax 07 40 547372.
> E Mail Address. listonb@usq.edu.au
> Website.http://www.usq.edu.au/dec/DECServices/outreach/RLO.htm
> Feedback.http://www.usq.edu.au/dec/support%20questionnaire/index.htm

klyons
24-06-2004, 05:43 PM
Baldyhead.
Those last two lots of barra- I hope thats a typo, average 3000mm and 2950mm. Damn big fingerlings :o :o

Kev