PDA

View Full Version : Red Claw

Dr_Dan
19-04-2003, 01:03 PM
Hey all. Just got a new property on the atherton tabelands, and was wanting to stock a small dam on it with redclaw. there is also a creek running through the property. Wondering if anybody has any ideas where i could look for redclaw to stock the dam with? Any ideas would be muchly appreciated.

Dan

jozz
23-04-2003, 04:43 PM
Cool! If u live in sa, vict, nsw or wa u should go out with a fishing rod and try to catch some trout! :)

Dr_Dan
24-04-2003, 04:31 AM
Yeh jozz, but i live in QLD near cairns. The only trout we get up here aren't the tiny freshwater things from down south, REAL TROUT!!!! BIG RED SUCKERS FROM THE REEF. I reckon a couple of big barra would go down alright tho! ;D

jozz
04-05-2003, 11:06 AM
There planning on making a freshwater barramundi farm in sa. I don't think the barra would like it here.see yalater..... j*o*z*z :) :D

caveman
19-05-2003, 04:01 PM
dr daan try the DPI they mite have some info

Batters
29-05-2004, 11:07 AM
just put an oprahouse yabby trap in your creek baited with meat overnight you will soon find out if u have some then

Leo_N.
13-08-2004, 11:09 AM
Dr Dan,
I'm not sure of the legality of doing what you are proposing. I know that there are plenty of redclaw in the local creeks and lakes, but they are actually endemic to the West side of Queensland (creeks running into the Gulf) and not native to the East coast at all. Farmers on the East coast have to have a 60cm solid fence, not to escape predators, but to prevent escapees.

I have plenty of redclaw info if you want to give me an email (letter link to the left).