PDA

View Full Version : New species approved for Wivenhoe

Fitzy
17-09-2004, 04:52 PM
Mullet have been approved for stocking into Lake Wivenhoe.
A trial will be started soon & stocking will be monitored by local stocking group & Qld Fisheries.
Mullet were once found well up the Brisbane & Stanley Rivers but are now blocked by Wivenhoe Dam.

fitzy..

DRJ
18-09-2004, 07:01 AM
Fitzy

Congrats

Where are you getting the fish from?

Regards
Darren

lordy
18-09-2004, 02:11 PM
Fitzy

Congrats

You take a mummy fish and a daddy fish, that love each other, then you........ ;D

Fitzy knows.

Jim_Tait
19-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Good news Fitzy,

it'll be interesting to see if they make a cahnge to ecosystem functioning in terms of fulfilling the detritivore / herbivore role again.

Now we just need about a 1000 km of riparian revegetation on tributray streams, some constructed wetland / detention basins on drainage lines carrying cleared land run off, some instream habitat structure replacement (snags and rock scour hole) and we might get those 'Brisbane Cod' cod going again hey? The ox is slow but the earth is patient!!

Regards - Jim

Fitzy
19-09-2004, 04:49 PM
Fitzy

Congrats

Regards
Darren
We will have to ensure the brood stock are sourced locally & that they are only used once; new breeders every year.
A commercial hatchery down here recently spawned half a million of them & they're going great ATM.

Cheers,

Fitz..

DRJ
21-09-2004, 04:56 AM
You take a mummy fish and a daddy fish, that love each other, then you........ ;D

Fitzy knows.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Now I didn't know that - the things you learn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards
Darren

Fitzy
05-10-2004, 06:41 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Now I didn't know that - the things you learn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards
Darren
Will have to try that at our new hatchery soon. ;)

fitz

DRJ
06-10-2004, 04:41 AM
Fitzy

New hatchery too - going well.

The boys have just upgraded one of the hatcheries up here and it now works a real treat. Some barra going into it very shortly for the first run.

Regards
Darren

Foxie
09-01-2005, 04:32 PM
Hey Darren
what sort of barra southern or northern

Foxie

Fitzy
09-01-2005, 04:33 PM
Hey Darren
what sort of barra southern or northern

Foxie

Will be southern strain

DRJ
10-01-2005, 04:37 PM
The batch that have gone through are from Gladstone so Southern strain. We will be putting through some Northern strain as well during the season.

Being based in Mackay we can go two strains either side to release into our impoundments.

Regards
Darren

Fitzy
10-01-2005, 06:55 PM
The batch that have gone through are from Gladstone so Southern strain. We will be putting through some Northern strain as well during the season.

Being based in Mackay we can go two strains either side to release into our impoundments.

Regards
Darren
I stand corrected. I thought the Barra Massie/Dixie line (north/south) was at Prossy.

gf

Kuhlia_R
18-03-2005, 07:49 AM
Mullet are a great fish for stabilizing the ecosystem and developing a benificial balance in the food chain, they also help to improve water quality and overall this is great news. ;D