PDA

View Full Version : Keyhole Lagoons  - Stradbroke island

bobby777888
30-03-2005, 07:01 PM
I went to a mates place (he lives on stradbroke island) on the weekend and we went canoeing in the keyhole lagoons. These lagoons not only contain gambusia but crayfish and i think i even saw some rainbowfish ( i think just melenatenia dubulayi) They seem a perfect for stocking. how can brisbanes fishing commmunity go about getting these lagoons stocked?

SeaJay
18-08-2005, 11:50 PM
Does every available piece of water really need stocking? Remember that the majority of fish stocked are high predatory (one reason that they are good lure-taking sportfish) and can have a high impact on the more numerous small species inhabiting natural waters. Species such as pygmy perch which inhabit some of those lacks are on the endangered list already.

scatter1
18-08-2005, 11:57 PM
may be way off here but i think those are fully protected parks.

SeaJay
19-08-2005, 12:05 AM
The fish you saw were probably Rhadinocentrus ornatus, which tend to be alot more common in those areas than Melanotaenia duboulayi.

mangajack
20-08-2005, 05:58 PM
I didnt think that freshwater natural lakes were to be stocked only man made lakes and dams and flowing river systems........

Jack

Fitzy
21-08-2005, 08:11 PM
I didnt think that freshwater natural lakes were to be stocked # #only man made lakes and dams and flowing river systems........

Jack

Got Buckleys of getting DPI&F to support any stocking within these lakes.
They are natural, unaltered waters & should be left as is. The stocking of native fish in Qld is only done as:
A- a last resort to save a species (ie Mary River cod)
B- When man made barriers to fish migration are in place (ie wiers & dams)

cheers,

fitzy.