PDA

View Full Version : Barramundi

Dale
06-07-2005, 10:08 PM
Live in Texas..have several ponds on my ranch with clear spring fed water..currently have perch, bass and catfish..does anyone know if I could stock Barramundi, and if so where could I get some here in the US..thanks Dale

nulla
07-07-2005, 03:26 AM
I don't know about availability of barramundi in the USA or the laws regarding their stocking in farm dams. There is an Australian company exporting fingerlings to the USA for growout in sheds.

Water temperature is critical with barra. Below about 20C (68F) they will not feed and die somewhere around 10 to 15C (50F - 60F)

I could probably find the name of the company that has live barra in the US if you are still interested but don't know if they would sell them live.

Awoonga
07-07-2005, 05:35 AM
Send Ken a email at the Gladstone Area `Water Board he might be able to help #.......:hatchery@gawb.qld.gov.au

Big-D
07-07-2005, 06:38 AM
:)Welcome to ausfish dale.
Cheers Big-D.

coraltrout68
07-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Are you going to stock the Barra in the same ponds as the other fish?

Big barra have a habit of eating smaller fish.

Dale
07-07-2005, 09:05 PM
thanks for all your responses..if you could help me find a contact to buy fingerlings here in the US, that would be great..also, I think I would try only one pond, so if they ate all the catfish and bass it would be OK as they were stocked by me and the other ponds are not connected in any way. thanks

nulla
08-07-2005, 03:56 AM
Dale

www.australis.us is the group I mentioned growing barramundi in the USA - they sell fish to eat but I don't know about live fingerlings. If you go to their web site you can find out more - including an email address.

Don't overlook my comment on water temps - I don't know how cold it gets where you are but barra are a tropical fish and don't like cold water

Wish you luck

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
04-08-2005, 06:46 PM
i do know that the gawb fish hatchery here in gladstone, qld, australia has sent fingerlings over to the USA for food fish, but i'm not sure on US legislation allowing an introduced and unnatural fish species to be released into your waterways. Certainly in Australia would such a practice be 'Pounced Upon' and the authorities would have a heart attack if such things were happening here in Aus. Think about the negative side if barra thrived in your home town of texas, escaped from your own ponds and into rivers and lakes and they 'ATE OUT' your entire US fish species!! (barra have a HUGE APPETTITE) We have a couple of NOXIOUS and INTRTODUCED fish species here in australia that are causing mass problems. the EUROPEAN CARP, and the TILAPIA, from indonesia i think. BAD BAD MOVE,,,,,,,,,Please seek further information from your appropriate U.S. FISHERIES DEPARTMENTS!
johnny M.

AussieLover
05-08-2005, 01:55 AM
wish I could have some Australian fish... :'(

ste
18-10-2005, 08:15 PM
A little info for you Bluewater Barramundi Mourilyan (naer Innisfail NQ) have a 5 year contract to supply a million Barra fingerlings per year to an Australian Company in the US.