PDA

View Full Version : Tingalpa Reservoir

Jeremy87
08-03-2004, 05:16 PM
I live right next to Tingalpa reservoir aka Leslie Harrison Dam and have often pondered about it being used for fish stocking. At the moment it is a strong hold for bite sized spangeled perch and tilapia and as an unstocked dam could be used to test several species of previously unstocked ie mangrove jacks ;D. It would also be a very convenient freshwater fishing location for many a fisherman (it would turn a 2 hour drive to a 2 minute bike ride for me to get to a favoured stocked dam). Anyway any thoughts or ideas would make interesting conversation.
Jeremy

Fitzy
09-03-2004, 07:06 PM
You'll have to harrass Redland council on that one. The word I have is that they dont want any fish stocked in there cause then ppl will want to fish there & THATS what they dont want. Take away the reason for going to give people no encouragement to jump the fence or park alongside the roads etc.
Get the clowncil onside & we can have a stocking group up & running in no time. Dont like your chances tho, but give it a shot by all means. If you get the nod give me a holler & I'll help set everything up for a new group.

BTW- I'm have it on good authority that there's bass & saratoga been released there. I've never fished it so I cant confirm or deny it.

Fitzy..

bobby777888
13-10-2004, 02:47 PM
im a new member, this thing seems pretty cool. me and my dad went fishing here once and we caught 16 spangled perch. We put in bait trasps and discovered a very intereseting type of grunter. We found a catfish nest like the ones that eel tailed catfish make and some big tilapia were in there eatinmg the eggs. at night he surface was alive with tilapia chasiong small fish. i met a person at my local creek who said there were jungle perch in there, but i think he was mistaking. Im gonna og back and try to catch them, but odes anytbody no the fines if you are caught fishing there?

lordy
13-10-2004, 03:28 PM
im a new member, this thing seems pretty cool. me and my dad went fishing here once and we caught 16 spangled perch. We put in bait trasps and discovered a very intereseting type of grunter. We found a catfish nest like the ones that eel tailed catfish make and some big tilapia were in there eatinmg the eggs. at night he surface was alive with tilapia chasiong small fish. i met a person at my local creek who said there were jungle perch in there, but i think he was mistaking. Im gonna og back and try to catch them, but odes anytbody no the fines if you are caught fishing there?

JP? The need saltwater to breed so unless there is a fish ladder I'm not sure how they'd be in there in any numbers. Most would have gone over the wall to breed years ago with no way back.

Jeremy87
17-11-2004, 03:40 PM
They're tilapia mate. There's thousands of the buggars in there. If you catch any destroy them. Its an even bigger fine to return them to the water than it is to be caught down there. They are a big problem during the winter. when the water cools they begin to die off. They removed 5 tonnes of dead tilapia from the dam last winter. As for Jungle perch thats a load of c#@p. There used to be bass in the upper reaches back before they damed it. The wall has no fish ladder and again they need salt water to breed. So if they're are any bass left they are more than 30 years old or have been released illegally. I have heard rumors though that there are still bass below the wall in tingalpa creek but these are unconfirmed. The only fish i have actually seen with my own eyes caught in that dam is spangled perch, tilapia and fresh water eels, aswell as a variety of small baitfish.

bobby777888
17-11-2004, 03:53 PM
Me and my dad went back the other day saw a eel tailed catfish nest, if you wanna check it out its on the right side of the bride that goes into burbank. we collected some mussles, then put em on our lines and we got a nice jew from the snag 50 m right of the nest.

bobby

Jeremy87
17-11-2004, 04:15 PM
I heard they where in there aswell, just never seen them. I've seen their nests when the dam has dropped, but the rain has brought the dam back up and its nearly full. How big are the spangled perch you catch. When i was 8 or 9 i used to go down with the old man and we'd catch then over 25 cm. But i haven't got one much more than 20cm for the last 2-3 years. I've never fished near the bridge before only in a small arm near some private property.

bobby777888
17-11-2004, 04:19 PM
17 centimetres is the biggest spangeled perch weve got so far. we use soft plastics usually. never caught an eel there before, what bait were you using and where?

Jeremy87
17-11-2004, 04:57 PM
I use either use worms or little baitfish from the dam to catch tilapia and spangled perch. I haven't caught any eels but i was there when a guy i met down there did. I occassionally take a flie rod down aswell when the water is low enough to cast. i fish in the bush behind the capalaba police station.

scatter1
10-08-2005, 10:29 AM
why is fishing banned on the reservoir? i have often driven past and looked at it wondering about the fishing. would at least make a good test dam for new species - barra, jacks?what's the go?

sam

theoldlegend
10-08-2005, 01:08 PM
After all the rain we had a couple of months ago, I heard that the Council was releasing water over the spillway as the dam was chock a block.

Wonder how many tilapia were released by the Council for doing that?

TOL

SeaJay
19-08-2005, 11:27 AM
...We put in bait trasps and discovered a very intereseting type of grunter.

Do you have any more info on that grunter? Did you manage to ID it?

Fitzy
25-08-2005, 11:27 PM
If there was enough interest in stocking this lake, I'd be prepared to do the yards & put a proposal together to present to Redlands Council to see how much access can be gained. There's no point stocking fish in there if nobody is allowed to go there to catch them....
I'd also put togther a management plan for the lake & then hand it all over to a community group to run once all the paperwork etc is done.

Remember that DPI&F will only support a stocking program if theres a community group involved. No community group = no fish stocking program. :o

Do I see any hands getting raised to be on a stocking group?? [smiley=gossip.gif]

Post up.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Fitzy..

landy1
27-08-2005, 08:25 PM
I begged council on this issue a couple of years ago and the answer was a flat no. They definately did not want any kind of angler attention citing all the old arguments ie. water quality blah blah.

Fitzy
29-08-2005, 07:34 AM
I begged council on this issue a couple of years ago and the answer was a flat no. They definately did not want any kind of angler attention citing all the old arguments ie. water quality blah blah.

Hey Landy,
Begging aint the way to appraoch it.
the thing that needs to be sold to decision makers is that a well managed fish stocking program can actually improve water quality.
Just asking will get nobody nowhere, gotta sell the concept and, if successful, anglers are the lucky winners.

Also alot of other things that may seem advantageous to councils etc but the water quality is a biggie.

Cheers,

GF

Jeremy87
30-08-2005, 08:55 PM
I'd be willing to help where ever i can. My scedule is pretty full though between 5 days at uni and working on weekends. A big issue is the tilapia dieing off each winter, if you can give evidence that stocking another higher order preditor or would reduce numbers you might be able to presnet a decent arguement of improved water quality.

scatter1
04-09-2005, 06:18 PM
hey fitzy,

if you could give us an idea of what would need to be done if we raise our hands it would be easier to see whether it's doable. like jeremy i'm very busy but i am also very interested.

sam

fishingnottake
05-09-2005, 03:43 PM
i would love to help anyway i can, but i've moved down to the gold coast now so the council would probbal ignore me :| but if there is anyway i can help, be it doing footwork, calling people up etc i'm more than happy to assist
ash

Jeremy87
07-09-2005, 02:43 PM
There was an article in the local rag saying that state government might take over redlands water supplies because of the current water shortage. I wonder if sun water would be an easier egg to crack than the redlands council.

Maria
07-09-2005, 06:44 PM
Fitzy,

Could you provide some information as to what is required to get involved and run a management plan for such a program?

Cheers

Ben

big_steve001
26-09-2005, 05:47 PM
yeh im willin to help out wat ever needs to be done. i would love to c a damn bein stocked wit decent fish close to wher ei live. so count me in [smiley=thumbsup.gif].
cheers steve

Louis
20-10-2005, 03:17 PM
G'day Fitzy,

I don't normally look at the "Freshwater Fish Stocking" section of this website and so please excuse the lateness of this reply.

I don't know what is involved and I don't know if my background and capabilities are sufficient but if I can I am happy to help in anyway I can.

So please consider my hand in the air.

Louis

stevo
31-10-2005, 04:01 PM
I to would help out as it seems like a few others will. I also don't know what and how involved it may get, but many hands make light work. It is an ideal location if it was to open up as it is a shorter drive than to any other location, and this may mean there may be more work as it might get VERY WELL used. As there is alot of Ausfishers within a 30 min drive maybe a few more can put their hands up to help? p.s another reason to get out and talk fishing. :-X ::) 8-) ;D :D ;)

Stevo

Louis
01-11-2005, 09:41 AM
Well put Stevo.

Louis

Louis
14-11-2005, 05:13 PM
Sounds good

Louis

Louis
10-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Any further to this?

Louis

Canoedle
07-02-2006, 04:14 PM
I would be in on a chin wag (beer) to discuss this, it's not exactly close to home (western suburbs) but sounds like a good cause. *raises hand*

adds31
18-04-2006, 09:09 PM
My hand is up to. I think the council doesn;t even use the water, its only there for emergency use such as if the water supply from Straddy ever dries up. I would even purchase a permit from council to fish there or even pay each time I fished there. What harm can an electric motor on the back of a cannoe do. Am all for it, count me in. PS. There are bass in there.

Cheers Adds....

Fitzy
19-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Folks,
If it is going to happen, it going to be a long drawn out process. I've made some enquiries thus far & I have to say there will be alot of resistance for several reasons. I wont go into them here however if/when I get something concrete, i'll report back here.

ibbo
24-04-2006, 10:52 AM
I'm in also, used to fish there when i was a kid, my mate caught the biggest eel tail catfish we had ever seen at the time (around 55cm). Such a beautiful stretch of water.

Are we just talking fishing off bank or electric motor only like Hinze dam?

Let me know how i can help, am fairly local to area.

If we finally get councils onside the next issue might be blockage of proposal from residents on dam. Cant see property owners on the dam wanting people wondering banks near their homes.

I know the banks are not their property but this may happen.

Dan

mossy007
30-04-2006, 07:04 PM
hey all, mossy here (a.k.a. bobby77788 - my old account stuffed up)

though the thought of sharing my fishing spots with alot more people doesnt really appeal, id love to be able to go to the dam without having to jump fences, or sneak in, so call on me if i can help in any way. got a dozen tilipia in about two hours in the holidays, they really seem to come on at about dusk.

on our first trip to the dam we found an interesting grunter, we took it to the ANGFA (australia and new gineu freshwater fishes association) and noody there could indentify it ( which was a very odd considering the knowledge levels of some of the people there) so we took it to the meauseam. A guy there said that it was an artificial hybrid (done with artifical insemination) and was half banded grunter half silver perch. .. it would be interesting if they could be caught on a line in the dam, as our fella died in a tank at around 15 cms.

hope we can get some stocking going
bob

blue-mako
01-05-2006, 09:27 PM
ill put my hand up, itd b great to have a gud fresh stock clsoe to home for once

cheers, troy

shayned
01-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Fitzy if I lived near there I'd have my hand up in a second, imagine a jack fishery in Brisbane. I believe in fresh they can become monsters. Managed properly you could turn that into a tourist icon and surely a council would see the benefit in that!! I'll watch with interest.

Jeremy87
03-06-2006, 09:17 AM
hey mossy, the hybrid theory isn't to far fetched. There are alot of hobby farms that drain into the lesly harrison that are stocked with australian natives. Its possible that someone purchased some silver perch from a hatchery that had a mix of hybrids in it and when there dam overflowed they swan down into the dam.

mossy007
03-06-2006, 07:45 PM
i wonder how big these hybid things will get..... i wonder how common these things are in the dam.... could be worth targeting. has anyone else seen anything like this before?

BadenS
05-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Just seeing if there has been any developments with this. If there is anything I can do to help move this along please let me know.

imagineer
11-09-2006, 05:43 PM
yip count me in .
for a council that wants more revenue and tourism a jack park would be great.

Neil

Hornblower
21-09-2006, 03:19 AM
I am willing to give it a go as well and help out any way I can. I will PM you Fitzy with my details.

hondaguy
29-12-2008, 10:30 AM
If there was enough interest in stocking this lake, I'd be prepared to do the yards & put a proposal together to present to Redlands Council to see how much access can be gained. There's no point stocking fish in there if nobody is allowed to go there to catch them....
I'd also put togther a management plan for the lake & then hand it all over to a community group to run once all the paperwork etc is done.

Remember that DPI&F will only support a stocking program if theres a community group involved. No community group = no fish stocking program. :o

Do I see any hands getting raised to be on a stocking group?? [smiley=gossip.gif]

Post up.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Fitzy..

I know it is over 3 years later but Redlands city does not control the dam any more it is the state government. Would help off set closures in Moreton bay? Any body interested in flogging a dead horse? PM or post up here if any genuine interest. Thanks Matt

bayfisher
08-01-2009, 08:39 AM
It would be good to see a bass lake closer to home http://senortuna.com/main/images/smilies/5191beatdeadhorse.gif ;D

jrf1973
08-01-2009, 09:35 AM
I'd be happy to help. Let's have another go.

Jungle Jim
08-01-2009, 12:57 PM
happy to help if possible let me know what i can do...

i live 2 streets away from it drive past and think how good it would be if we could use it...

JIM

alphas
08-01-2009, 09:52 PM
I have heard rumours for a while that there has been a M.S.P happening on that body of water for a while...(midnight stocking program)8-) 8-)

I lived at warriewood road at chandler for 4 years and use to drive down and set lines some nights,caught and killed alot of tilapia but never found the so called bass...maybe outnumbered by the tilapia??maybe just local legend??

Anyhow count me in,I work on a number of redland shire councillors cars at work...will ask whom and what to ask next one that comes in.

Always annoys me that on the way to the other dams,I have to pass one that would be perfectly suited right on my doorstep.

rayken1938
10-01-2009, 06:31 AM
Apparently SEQ water are reviewing the recreational use of their dams. Not certain if public responses are invited. Story that I heard is that they have commissioned a private firm to carry it out. Does anyone know the true story.
Now would certainly be an opportune time to start raising the issue especially with an election on the horizon.
I would love to get my freshwater fix locally rather having to drive 100k once or twice a week.
Cheers
Ray

stevo
11-01-2009, 12:06 PM
Hello Stevo here, still interested in helping. Wheather that is being part of the group to run or organize it. If it was to say have a limited number of people on it at one time or a number of licences to fish on it each year. or even to stock it if/when we get the go ahead. I think being part of this could be very good if Ausfish people could have a big role in it. Plenty of us around here local and lets face it it's still closer than driving to any other Dam so that means there is alot of us that fall into being Locals now... with the knowledge which is avaiable out there from A/fish members and ideas we should keep on this one to see if we really have a chance to get on this stretch of water.
just my two cents worth
stevo

snagking
13-01-2009, 10:11 PM
I live quite close to it, but I know i can't help much :( (being 14 and all) but just driving past it told me that it would make a great fishery!

alphas
02-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Spoke on friday to a redland shire councillor-reply was "Not even a chance while this mayor is in charge"
Again,this is not an official statement-but just an opinion from one who works in the inner sanctum at R.S.C.

Janelle
09-05-2009, 07:23 AM
Have been dreaming of winning the lotto of late because there is a block of land for sale on Duncan road. Thinking it would make a great carpark and launching area (mind you only when the dam levels are fairly high).

Count me in and I volunteer Duncan to help too.

will send you a PM Fitzy

Janelle

pop-eye
03-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Hi all

I have grown up in the redlands 30 years ago and i think it is a great idea on a few fronts. As previously mentioned it would be a very good draw card for tourism and secondly it would be a extreme positive from a environmental point of view.in helping the control of talapia
Having said i know how much the RCC like to make it as difficult as they can with anything. In my experience unless you know some one in the RCC or some else who does you are really pushing $hit up hill.

I believe one good angle of approach would be getting the local environmental agency, on board for starters One of the directors used to work for RCC as a Senior Conservation Officer for 6 years and as they still liaison with RCC he would have good contacts within the council. Also i am sure that they wouuld have to had done inpact studies on the dam before and should know it inside out

Would have to help with any submissions i would imagine

PM me for contact details

Good luck

Pop-eye

shayned
04-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Doesn't Seqwater now control this area?

pop-eye
05-06-2009, 01:32 AM
To be honest i wouldn't have a clue

hondaguy
19-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Here is a slim chance on getting the dam stocked. Access to fish it may be different matter. Got to start some where. At least some one in Redlands council is now nomitted to at least acknowledge freshwater fish.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=153986

Please post any knowlegde of actual fish species caught in the Redlands area
in the above post.
Jermay87 these things take time as your post is still going after all this time;)

Louis
11-02-2014, 12:03 PM
BUMP!!!

I came across this post by accident just now.

I thought I would give it a bump.

Has anyone heard anymore re this matter?

Louis

Lovey80
11-02-2014, 01:28 PM
Wouldn't this potential project be the perfect litmus test to see if a species like mangrove jack could out compete tilapia as a possible solution?

Triple
11-02-2014, 02:19 PM
BUMP!!!

I came across this post by accident just now.

I thought I would give it a bump.

Has anyone heard anymore re this matter?

Louis

Register asap -
http://www.yourseqwater.com.au/seqwater-recreation-review

March review - http://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/ehq-production-australia/6020c1a14963f6a2c0eea63eb3f3d1d46e400695/documents/attachments/000/001/101/original/Recreation_Review_-_Discussion_Paper_Release_Timeline_20140108.pdf?13 89153807

How to -
http://www.yourseqwater.com.au/seqwater-recreation-review/faqs#8

And get as many as you can to register and have input to at least get this open to fishing and try for water access (sail/paddle/electric or even better for waterskiing/jetskis etc but low emissions outboards 6 knots like wivenhoe would do too ;D)

stevo
30-08-2014, 06:53 AM
Just to keep this alive, have heard from a council that they are looking into fishing the dam again, just might be in next couple of years. I believe they are looking at best ways to operate it.