PDA

View Full Version : barra fisheries at lenthalls dam

bigdan123
08-10-2005, 04:30 PM
hi all
i am looking for opinions re stocking barra at lenthalls dam
would any ausfishers like to see the dam stocked with more barra ?
i am in the local stocking association and would like to see what the fisher persons would like stocked in the dam.

Dan

dasher
08-10-2005, 08:07 PM
Are you kidding :-X Who wouldn't want stocking of Barra in Lenthalls. :-?
Best of both worlds, Bass and Barra. :P ::) ;)

TonyM
09-10-2005, 05:51 PM
More please!!!

Have heard lots of reports of Barra caught at Lenthalls lately, it would be great to see more put in there.

bearclaw
03-11-2005, 04:12 PM
It would be great as it appears to be a good fishery for it. How many barra did they lose over the wall from the previous stockings.

bigdan123
03-11-2005, 08:56 PM
bearclaw
there has been a large number of barra caught at lenthalls dam between 400mm and 550mm over the last month.
they seem to be from the last stocking in December last year. they where released at 50mm. :o ;D ;D
unbelievable growth rate :) :)
we think that lots of barra went over the wall when it flooded some years back.
if all goes well this year there will be 10,000 more barra in the lake this year.

Dan

bearclaw
07-11-2005, 05:45 PM
Thanks Dan,
I dropped in there a year a so ago, keep meaning to pop back and have a try now you have convinced me.

Myles

bigdan123
08-11-2005, 09:01 PM
a mate ray with his first barra 71cm tagged at lenthalls dam

Dan

Fitzy
09-11-2005, 08:13 AM
Both bass & barra have gone over the wall there in the past,,, & both will again in the future. they both have similar requirements to go to the salt.

I say 10 000 barra is not enough.

Cheers,

fitzy..

Voltzy
09-11-2005, 10:10 AM
Please put more barra in lenthalls!! ;) Its a beautiful dam.

Given current translocation policy, it makes sense to put barra in.

Awoonga
09-11-2005, 02:42 PM
Yes put heaps in....Heap and heaps and even a few more.....Might stop a few of you blokes coming up to Awoonga....The less boats we have up here the better...More barra for me ;D ;D ;D :D :D

OldFart
09-11-2005, 08:03 PM
Many people pass the great fishery at Lentalls on their way futher north for BARRA. I have fished Lentals for bass and know what a great fishery it is. The stocking group are to be complimented for the work they have done with bass over the years. I am sure that they will do just as good of a job with barra. More people will tick Lentalls on their SIP if there are barra in there, and this will flow onto bass fingerlings as well. YES more Barra!

billybob3
10-11-2005, 07:28 AM
Gidday Dan

I have only just recently had teh pleasure to experience ifrst hand thsi beautiful piece of water and the fishing it offers.

You guys should be building this up more and more, so I am with everyone else in asking for more barra to go in.

These fish are great sport and get teh blood pumping, I certainly have 'FEVER"...BARRA FEVER!

Keep up teh great work and please let us all knwo if there is ever anything we can ALL help you guys with.
;)

bomber202
11-11-2005, 02:46 PM
Yep Dan,

Bangem in the more the merrier GEEZ I LUV BARRA

Regards,

THE BOMBER

jimbolikes_barra
16-11-2005, 04:14 PM
to fitzy
yes both barra and bass go over the wall but will they ever make it through the pros nets :'(

bigdan123
17-11-2005, 08:50 PM
thanks guys for all your replys
some good info there :)

Dan

Big_unit
17-02-2006, 12:54 AM
Now Ive fished Lenthalls, I know what everyone is going on about. Yep put more Barra in there, I just never knew how good impoundment fishing is.

Cheers
James

fad
19-02-2006, 08:52 AM
Shhhhhhhhh ;).

Big_unit
21-03-2006, 03:38 PM
No point keeping Lenthalls a secret, besides that the road in there will keep most people at bay until they fix it up.

Cheers
James

WHITTO
22-03-2006, 04:30 PM
I think that is a Dam fine idea,if the impoundment can sustain the additional stocking I say go ahead, Cheers Whitto ;) ;)

bearclaw
01-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Any more news on Barra stocking for the Dam. Dropped in for a look on the way up north yesterday. Yes that road is interesting but the upgraded camping area will draw more attention to the dam.

lureaway
09-05-2006, 12:20 PM
The local stocking group should be comended for its stocking of barra into lenthalls,however because of its proximity to Brisbane it will be doomed as a promising barra fishery unless its stocking rate is dramatically increased.The sip scheme does not generate enough money for fingerlings because Lenthalls is not nominated often enough,and my understanding is that from the income generated some members of the stocking group prefer bass to barra.Having fished extensively in other barra dams in the last 5 years it is very obvious that large stocking rates are extremely important together with the stocking of oversized fish.Lenthalls has enormous potential as a great barra fishery but beware the meat brigade from the south.

bigdan123
09-05-2006, 09:57 PM
i love all the input you guys put in and all the info goes back to the fish stocking meetings.

Another Question;
Does any one think that golden perch and silver perch should be stocked in lenthalls dam or leave the stocking program the way it is?

your input is very important

Dan

lureaway
10-05-2006, 09:10 AM
Golden perch and silver perch are obviously a cheaper option in terms of cost,however why would you sacrifice the work you are doing with barra for perch.
Dan has the stocking group thought of some corporate sponsorship for the acquisition of barra fingerlings for lenthalls.I know there is some talk of maybe some comps to raise money which is a agreat idea,however i wonder if the likes of some of the more skilled anglers of youre area could organize a day or two fishing for some Brisbane corporate people who are keen lure flickers if maybe they could see the potential of lenthalls they might collectively make a donation.

andrew73
10-05-2006, 10:19 AM
Hi all,

I am not nessarlly an avocate of stocking larger size fingerlings (>60mm) as look at the way the fisheries in Awoonga, Calide Monduran and the little known callamonda are developing and they are largely baised on smaller fingerlings in the 40 to 60 mm range. Lenthals is a gr8 dam and i think given time it will develop in to a gr8 fishery although overflowing i understand is a prob but we have similar probs here at home with callamonda and it is still a exclent fishery yes some fish do leave when it overtops but not all other wise we wouldnt be catching m plus fish there.

Andrew

lureaway
10-05-2006, 06:37 PM
spoke with a mate in mackay today and interestingly as andrew73 mentioned about callomonda, Teemburra, eungella and kinchant dams have all gone over the spillway yet people continue to catch large barra there as well.Also my understanding was that oversized fish went into the above dams however i was wrong as it seems both faust and tinaroo are the dams getting oversized fish seemingly to fill yearclass voids.In mackay as a matter originally of economics the stocking group simply put large no,s of small barra and sooties in their dams in multiple locations.However it is obviously the consistency of stockings since then which has led to their success.Perhaps youre stocking group could talk with mafsa as they have now created fisheries where barra and sooties are thriving together.
cheers

Az
11-05-2006, 11:28 AM
how long a drive is Lenthalls from Brisbane, anyone know?

bigdan123
11-05-2006, 04:15 PM
approx 3.5 hours AZ :)

Az
12-05-2006, 11:30 AM
thanks mate, might have to pay it a visit, are there restirctions on outboards? what are the ramps like?

bigdan123
12-05-2006, 04:52 PM
the ramp is new and great, :) the road in is bad dont drive fast :(
the widebay water has restrictions and they are; 4knts speed limit, a 6hp limit and no camping.
what i do when i am on the water with my boat (which has a 50hp) is stay to the 4knts speed limit at all times.
there are logs under the water everywhere :'(
hope this helps

Dan

jimbolikes_barra
12-05-2006, 06:29 PM
NO WAY MAN......... why waste all that time on putting golden perch into lenthalls, yes some people fish for them but i dont think its a liable option for the sportfishing and competition scene (barra and bass) lenthalls is on the barra trail and on the bass electric and bassin QLD list so it would be good if you could keep the focus on them. :)

and as for silvers well they might be good for a food source for a little while but when they get too big (for even the barra to eat) they really are good for nothing critters :( :-X

cheers
jim :)

jimbolikes_barra
17-05-2006, 08:53 PM
Bump :D

bazza_mundi
19-05-2006, 05:41 PM
Hey Danny,

More BARRA! I reckon we should keep the current program as it is with an increase in the Barra stockings. Since the Barra are starting to get to some size it has been drawing alot more anglers out of the woods and into the dam. They're a great fish and fight like crazy. I believe it would also be good to stock some mangrove jack, theyd be a fun liitle extra to catch. Just my thoughts anyway.

Happy fishing
Bazza_mundi

jack_attacks
05-06-2006, 07:01 PM
the widebay water has restrictions and they are; 4knts speed limit, a 6hp limit and no camping.
what i do when i am on the water with my boat (which has a 50hp) is stay to the 4knts speed limit at all times.

Dan

Dan
Sorry mate - I'm a little confused. If there is a 6hp limit, can you have a larger outboard on the back but providing your speed doesn't exceen 4knots, you are ok?

Or, do you take a chance with a larger outboard... :-/
Matt

Big_unit
05-06-2006, 10:21 PM
He runs the risk BUT will only attract attention if he exceeds the speed restriction.

You would really have to be crazy to fly around that Dam anyhow, big bits of timber just under the surface.

Cheers
James

mylestom
07-06-2006, 11:03 AM
There is a lot of travelling fisherman going north fish for Barra and Bass, Monduran is a great fishery to compare with. Great facilities and also great fishing. If you want the tourists by all means Barra is the main attraction for southerners heading north. The bonus of Bass and Barra is a great attraction.
In the threads there was a mention of the meat brigade.
We were just north for 9 weeks and fished most of the impoundments and yes we did sight a few of them.
There is no way they could use the amount of fillets that they kept on a daily/weekly basis. Eventually something will be done and it will effect all anglers. The greeder buggers always ruin it for everyone.
By the way we only kept the last fish that we caught for the whole trip a smaller (legal) Barra.
The risk that some of the fill the freezer mob take is that Fisheries or some one else will eventually catch up with them.
The facilities supplied by the Stocking associations is fantastic. If you want to keep a fish why not make a donation back to Association for each fish that you take out of that dam. Yeah I know about the SIP but that doesn't pay for all the costs. The groups can only run so many raffles and the demand on the local dollars in rural communities is really tight.
Good luck with your stocking and thanks for all the hard work.
Trev

hardb8
11-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Hi Dan,
# # # # # Some Toga and Jack would be a great addition to your dam,And maybe a few Cod?Imagine if you will a population of Jack at 10 to 12kgs lurking in your waters in the future.Sounds like there's already a steady Barra/Bass population.Variety or numbers?

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #Regards hardb8 #;)

oscar64
15-06-2006, 07:33 AM
Dan

Ahving had the pleasure of fishing LEnthalls with my good mates on several osccassions I recently took my partner there .

Now she hasnt fished much just getting into it , but was awe struck when my mate hooked a barra and it flew out of teh water near the baot.

She didnt get any barra that day, but she did get her first ever fish and lost a few goodsize bass.

why anyone woud deny the fisherpeople of SE Qld a chance to catch a barra and a bass in teh same day is beyond me.

I am fully behind your stocking group continuing with the program that you have in place and look forward to beeing back on the dam soon.

My self and on eof my good mates has already pledged $50 each to the assoc. to go toward stravel or purchase of barra for thsi years stocking, perhaps a few more of our fishing brothers woudl liek to make a small donation toward sa great fishery. ;)

Keep up teh great work you guys are doing up there, what a boom time for teh surrounding towns as well.

Pete

gnf
26-07-2006, 10:19 AM
8-)to dan and all the fish stocking association,
the first ever trip to lenthals was mind blowing with my first impoundment barra at 71cm I can't for the life of me understand why there would even be a debate on should there be more barra put in at lenthals.
I have caught numerous numbers of bass and barra on the same structure around the dam.

and the only regergetated fish that the barra have brought up while being landed is boney brim almost every time i have yet to see them spit out bass. so it's obvious that they are coigsisting alongside each other.
::)

bearclaw
17-09-2006, 11:50 AM
What has been the outcome of this in regards to fish stocking association, is there going to be more barra and bass added?

Myles

bigdan123
17-09-2006, 09:01 PM
What has been the outcome of this in regards to fish stocking association, is there going to be more barra and bass added?

Myles

yeah mate more barra and bass are going in :) :) :)

Dan

bearclaw
17-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Thanks Dan,
Great news and is there an amount decided on each and is this controled by the dept.
Also is the stocking group getting enough funds from the permit scheme or is it losing out to the larger dams, I see this bit of paradise get a hammering in the years to come as the barra growth rate explodes.

Myles

bigdan123
18-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Myles
all is good :) :) we are not losing out :) :)
we are a little worried about the new extension to the wall going up this year :-/ :-/
hopefully we wont have any fish kills due to vegetation rot in the new water covered ground
only time will tell :-/

Dan

Hairymick
23-09-2006, 10:37 PM
Hi Dan, I live in the area and would very much like to help. what can I do please.

bigdan123
26-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Hairymick
check your pms mate ;)

Dan

Hairymick
30-09-2006, 09:50 PM
Thanks Dan,

Guys, I was out there yesterday fishing from my kayak. When I put in, I had the place pretty much to myself and when I got back, there were big dollar bass boats and camps everywhere.

It seems there was a Bass comp going on. A Basstastic? Does anybody know anything about it.?

I tried to talk to one of the blokes but he just ignored me, like I was the village idiot or something so stuff em, I came home.

My point is this, while I was on the water, there were quite of few of these lovely boats running round. None that I saw was doing less than 15 knots. one boat slowed down as he went past and gave me a wave (thanks mate if you are here) and then sped up again.

I have walked all over that land while the dam was being built. the four knot speed restriction is there for very good reason. there are just submerged logs and tree stumps everywhere and the blokes who speed on it literally take the lives of the people into their own hands.

Back to the thread, I would love to see a lot more bass & barra introduced there and will do anything I can do to help. fishing was pretty quiet there for me yesterday with only two bass to the boat but lots of follows up in the backwaters.

blue-mako
06-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Hairymick: Dunno what was going on but is that lure an Attack lure? :P .

Troy

bassace
24-10-2006, 10:44 AM
I have been fishing lenthalls since it came on line after the first stockings of yellas, silvers and bass. I have watched with great intrest the development of one of the best bass fisheries in the south-east area.
I am sad to say that i have found that the bass appear to have become a bit gun shy when the BARRA come on the chew as the weather warms up, which is a bit of a shame as a full moon session in summer on surface lures for bass is great. Now a bloke has to contend with barra up to 80cm reduceing my lure supply at an alarming rate.
All i can say to the restocking of bass or barra is not to become to one eyed in one direction or the other, LENTHALLS was once called the best bass dam in the south-east, I haven't heard this term us in a while now have we forgotten about the bass or just become BARRA addicts.
I still love fishing LENTHALLS regardless of what is stocked but we shouldn't lose site of all the hard work that has been done in the past by the hardworking members of fishingstocking groups and local fishing clubs who started the stocking of this dam when it first was built.

SWANY22
20-11-2006, 08:36 PM
go mad 100000 a year would be better.

Feral
24-11-2006, 09:44 PM
Yes please more Barra, and good on everybody who gets off their arse and joins a stocking group!