PDA

View Full Version : Tiny fish I.D.

tiges
28-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Put a shrimp trap in the local lake to see what would show up. Interested to see what I could catch there, for transferring into my little farm dam as bait down the track. Got heaps of little guppies, tiny little shrimp, and a few of the bigger shrimp with the long nippers (cherabin?). Also got a few of the little fella's pictured, does anyone know what they are? Look a bit like little bass, very similar mouth, fins, fork tail etc, but I don't think they are. Some really tiny ones, which makes me think that they wouldn't be released as fingerlings so small. Fitzy or anyone else out there in the know, able to help me?

Cheers
Tiges

BrandonH
28-11-2006, 04:26 PM
either a small mouth almighty or a sliver pearchlet ;) thats my guess anyways :P have caught both in shrimp traps in teh fresh, have also caught the silver pearchlets in salt at times also :)

Cheers
Brandon...

TinarooTriumph
28-11-2006, 06:46 PM
Definetely looks like a very young Mouth Almighty, though I could be wrong... If Fitzy see's this he'll tell ya. Some reckon they are good Live-Bait, personally I think they arn't that flash, and are pretty weak... Barred Grunter work alot better and they run around like mad things. I had a look at your new 'Impoundment' Tiges ;D Reckon a few 'Moutho's' will make a good fodder fish for your stock.

Tim_01
28-11-2006, 07:02 PM
I'm pretty sure it's an Olive Perchlet, I've also caught them in some of my local creeks. ;)

Olive Perchlet facsheet:

http://www2.mdbc.gov.au/naturalresources/fish/native_info/olivePerchlet.html

cheers, Tim

tiges
28-11-2006, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. Tim I reckon your right with the olive perchlet, the pic in the factsheet looks a lot like it with it's fins up. Says they are endangered in the fact sheet, so I don't know if I'll take any as baitfish when the dam is finally ready for bait stocking. Seem to be in good numbers in my neck of the woods though.

Cheers
Tiges

Chimo
29-11-2006, 09:52 AM
Hi Tiges

It could also be a juvenile form of something larger so it makes it a bit tricky.

Perhaps email the picture to the Queensland museum website at
"inquirycentre@qm.qld.gov.au" and see if they can be definite.

Did you have a think about the dam trickle flow post?

Cheers

Chimo

tiges
29-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Pretty much sure it's the olive perchlet that Tim mentioned/linked to. My pic isn't the best, in the flesh with their fins erect, they're a dead ringer for the fish in the link pic. The lake is stocked with bass, silvers, yellas. Some I caught were tiny, less than 10mm. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I imagined stocked fingerlings would be much larger than this. So they would have to breeding in there, counts out bass, dunno about the others.

RE the trickle flow, thanks for the advice Chimo. Sounds like a good idea, especially with the lessening of any erosion and fish containment benefits. Will have to see how the whole thing behaves once it gets water in it. No rain up here from the storms this arvo unfortunately.