PDA

View Full Version : What fish goes where?

Tropicaltrout
16-09-2006, 10:16 PM
When a dam is perposed what decides or who decides what fish get stocked. now I know there are the things like whats native to the river system that is dammed it all that is to be stocked, but that's far from what happens look at borumba there's toga in there their not native to yabba or kingham, sommerset mary river cod, #so what or who determins what goes in these dams. why could you not say chuck barra in ewen maddock or borumba, or murry in mcdonnald?

This post is more of a question and please don't take it literally.

Cheers TT

blue-mako
20-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Usually it's because a few are released in there. Then they go and breed. But really what bad is it? Only makes the fishing better in most cases.

Troy

Hornblower
21-09-2006, 03:04 AM
I'm only guessing but I would think that a fish stocking group would probably have to make some sort of application to either the DPI or the EPA or possibly the local authority who may handle the compound. I can't imagine that the govt would let anybody drop in a heap of fish without some sort of regulation, mind you, I don't know how they would stop someone doing it either. You raise a good point though and I will watch for someone more knowledgable then me to reply to your query.

Cheers ;) ;) ;)

davez104
22-09-2006, 10:14 PM
You're right, it does depend on what is native to that river system. Anything that is native would be able to be stocked with no problems at all. If it is not native, then research must be done as to weather or not the species is likely to have any detrimental effects on native species. DPI has the final say on this. BUT, they don't allways get it right, we were allowed to stock Golden Perch into the Burnett River system, they are not native, and the research said that they would not breed in the river due to lack of suitable spawning conditions. However catches of 40-50mm fingerlings in shrimp traps before the seasons stockings had begun appear to point to successful natural spawning, go figure. Some species that are not allowed to be stocked still "find" their way into the system, but this should not be encouraged for the long term health of the river. If you want to see what can happen, take a look at some of the studies being done on Lake Victoria, in Africa. Nile perch were introduced as way for the locals to have an income, comercially fishing these predators, and for food. All went well for a while, untill the perch decimated the native fish stocks and basically ate themselves out of food. Some remnant stocks of native fish are starting to make a bit of a comeback and I guess eventually some sort of balance will be achieved, but its not a pretty picture.

Dave.

andrew73
13-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Hi all,

The QDPI is the govening body that regulates fish stocking in QLD. they also maintain policies on New species, translocation etc. but the dpi fish web site should have more info on these subjects.

Andrew

Tropicaltrout
14-01-2007, 06:34 PM
cheers fella's,

TT