PDA

View Full Version : Stocking my parents dam

Barraless
12-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Just wondering what species you would recomend to stock my parents dam with. The dam is at Kurelpa in the sunshine coast hinterland. The dam is approx 50 x 70 x 4mtrs and was drained and cleaned over 12months ago and has weed starting to surface now. When my parents drained the dam there was a 50cm silver perch in it (We could not believe it!). So I was thinking about running with the perch. My biggest problem is that I want to dam to be largely self sufficient (with little or no feed required to be added). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Cheers Matt.B.

Tim_01
12-01-2007, 10:51 PM
hey matt, are there any smaller fish or other food source in the dam? how deep is it? you could stock silver perch, golden perch (murray darling strain), bass and saratoga (very expensive). You can buy all of those from Sunshine Coast Crayfish producers at yandina which is probably the closest fish hatchery to you.

contact info link:

http://www.sd.qld.gov.au/dsdweb/v3/guis/templates/supplydir/gui_cue_supplydir_accountread.cfm?id=1278&account_id=35749

cheers,

Tim.

Barraless
13-01-2007, 04:46 PM
The dam is about 4m deep. Yeah I might have to check out to see what small fish are in there. Previously we have had a problem with eels in the dam. Would they greatly effect the fish that I release into the dam?????

Tim_01
14-01-2007, 09:18 PM
yeah mate I dont think you'd ever see your fish again if there's eels in there! :(

Tim.

madkeen_fisherkid
15-01-2007, 07:58 AM
stick sum big barra in there, then ull be rite ;)

Barraless
19-01-2007, 02:01 PM
Ok thanks guys might have to go eel fishing. Not really sure they are in there but they have been eels in the past there

childers
14-02-2007, 04:58 PM
redclaws for food supply ,they breed fast then barra

disorderly
16-02-2007, 10:23 AM
It sounds like a good sized body of water.if its only been cleaned out a year ago it may not have too many eels in there(some friends had a dam and the eels were taking full grown muscovy ducks).Why only use one fish species?
In the past we have had dams stocked with silver perch ,yellowbelly ,murraycod,eeltailed catfish,jungle perch and smaller species captured in local creeks(mudcod,rainbow fish).
I would be inclined to try as many species as you can get your hands on.It would make for some very interesting fishing in a couple of years time.
Also try to create some snaggy sections.You can use anything that is non toxic to the fish ie tyres,stumps and logs,rocks and boulders etc.

good luck with it .Its an exciting proposition.

cheers Scott

Barraless
16-02-2007, 11:26 PM
Would red claw damage the dam wall (ie bury into the clay lining). Scott unfortunately my parents dam is over 1000k from home so Iam looking at buying the fish (100 minimum) At this stage I just want to test to see if one species can establish itself. Unfortunately the dam level is low so I am waiting for a bit more rain, then I think I will release 100 Silver Perch and cross my fingers.

rando
08-03-2007, 01:06 PM
Could I suggest you first establish some feeder fish population in there. Snobnose gar, boney bream,something like that.
rando

ellicat
09-03-2007, 09:20 AM
Probably too late for you, but this is a handy link.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/40663/Primefact-89---Fish-in-farm-dams.pdf

Cheers