PDA

View Full Version : Cork Grips Finish

gavstef
28-07-2006, 07:48 PM
I have some rods with cork grips, do you varnish these grips or do you leave as the natural cork finish?

Please advise.

THX Gavstef

warrior
28-07-2006, 08:13 PM
mate heat up somewax ,heat the handle of the rod and slowly turn it and add the wax to it ,it will lastfor ages keeps the cork in good nick and when worn do it again,get a mate to turn it it makes it easier.cheers AL

DR
28-07-2006, 08:30 PM
i prefer to leave natural & wash down with rag soaked in metho every now & then, they come up as good as new..

hardb8
28-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Hi m8,
I too prefer to leave the natural cork finish,It feels special in the hand.You can clean them to new condition by taking your rod in the shower and give the grips a good scrub with the green type of scourer ya do ya dishes with.Be carefull not to scrub ya reelseat,blank or butt cap as the scourer will mark them.Ya cork will come out like new when it drys.You can also use a fine grit wet and dry sand paper as another method (2000 or 1800 grit) to remove the top layer if you want.

Regards hardb8 ;)

Adamy
28-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Take your rod in the shower and rub it with a scourer???? OUCH :o :o :o :o :o But dont scrub ya butt cause it will leave a mark...... hmmmm sage advice ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sorry had to be said!! :D

weipatopender
29-07-2006, 01:00 AM
I use neatsfoot oil or just rub in some sun screen gives you that been used for ever look keeps your cork soft

bearclaw
29-07-2006, 04:26 AM
Tru-Oil is another good finish, it is a gun stock oil available at gun shops for about $9

barfly
31-07-2006, 11:43 AM
bees wax is also another alternative it also makes for weather proofing spray jackets and has a lot of uses around the home and car ,cheers barfly

Sergio_kutz
07-08-2006, 10:22 PM
I accidentally got surf board wax on mine when i put it on top of my mates surfboard in the car, not a lot but the wax seems to have kept it in top nic and it still feels totally normal just like it did when i bought it.

Sergio

gr hilly
10-10-2009, 10:30 AM
my dads cork buts on his 2 old split cane trout rods he baught them in the early 1960s are still great, he only ever used neatsfoot oil. they have kept great after reading this i asked him what he had used thats what he said every 2 or 3 yrs he does it , im pleased i asked him caus he gave them to me cant wait to try them out tight lines hilly