PDA

View Full Version : A question on resin.

roz
01-01-2007, 04:12 PM
I am trying to achieve a nice smooth finish with my epoxy.

By that I mean, the end point of the resin.

When I am about to apply a coat of epoxy/resin I measure out from the edge of the binding about 2mm, then tightly wrap some masking tape at that point.

Trouble is, I still don't get that smooth seamless finish I have seen on other custom built rods, and off the shelf rods for that matter.

I am removing the masking tape after about one hour, well before the resin has gone 'off', I am also doing this every time I add another coat of resin.

The finish is OK, but I know I could do better.

I might scratch around for a pic or two.

Any advice much appreciated.

roz.

DR
01-01-2007, 04:27 PM
don't use tape Roz..
the best way is to leave the rod on the wrapping guides, then fill your brush with the required amount of epoxy. Hold the brush on the bind & just a bit over, then keeping brush still use your other hand to roll the blank. go all the way around & you will end up with a nice straight & smooth end where the epoxy meets the blank.
came across a video on u-tube the other day showing it, i will see if i can find it again, but don't hold your breath i came across it by accident the first time.. ;D

sid_fishes
01-01-2007, 06:27 PM
roz ,mate dont use tape it creates a buildup so to speak but if you use a drying setup[slow revoling] you will find that , that will solve the probelms you are having cause i have just watched my dads neighbour finish one of his rods[ some us pilot to some ex us president] great bloke but and i wish i could do what he does.

roz
01-01-2007, 10:35 PM
OK I will flag the masking tape.

stuart
02-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Roz

How the heeeeellllllllll are ya, long time no speak? Can you tell me what the hell you are doing so I can help you. What did you do last time that worked but not this time? By the way, stop using tape.

Stu