PDA

View Full Version : Another Feather Inlay

Tony_l
30-11-2006, 09:21 AM
Just finished a rebuild for a mate and thought I'd do something different.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/uploads/IMGP0547.JPG

Tony_l
30-11-2006, 09:23 AM
From the back

http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/uploads/IMGP0549_001.JPG

Tony_l
30-11-2006, 09:24 AM
Side o

http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/uploads/IMGP0551.JPG

stuart
30-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Tony_l

Thats a fine job mate, especially the coating you did.

Stuart
Precision Rods

DR
30-11-2006, 11:50 AM
looks great..
is there anywhere on the net that gives instructions on how to do this... i don't have the patience to do it, but would love to read about it. It's fascinating..

Tony_l
30-11-2006, 01:12 PM
Hi DR,

I couldn't find suitable instructions on the web but you can find heaps of photos.

You would be suprised just how easy these are.

For this one I laid down a bed of thread. Then tacked the feather tips down with some thread sealer. Once dry I positioned the feathers and tacked down the ends. Then a few coats of diluted thread sealer. Some thread over the but ends of the feathers and then the epoxy.

The tricky part is sourcing suitable feathers.

Regards

bearclaw
30-11-2006, 06:22 PM
Great work again Tony, meant to ask last time, where are you sourcing your jungle cock feathers, last ones I tried to get in, Customs seized at the time of the bird flu outbreak.

Myles

Tony_l
01-12-2006, 03:58 PM
Hi Bearclaw,

I buy most of my feathers from the U.S., sorry but most places I looked in Aus, suitable feathers are either unavailable or so over priced it isn't worth it.

I must admit that I get a bit anxious at times, considering the Jungle Cock cost me about $130.

Tony

bearclaw
01-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Yes I lost about $90 dollars worth, they need some sort of certification now. Just hope dogs don't snif any of your further orders.

Myles

sid_fishes
02-12-2006, 06:05 AM
tony, thats a great inlay, but why do you use jungle cock feathers -dont we have birds here with a suitable feather?Myles $90 that,s got to hurt cheers ian

Tony_l
02-12-2006, 09:48 AM
Sid

If you know of somewhere to buy suitable feathers at a reasonable price....I'm listening.

I live in regional Qld and all the tackle shops (5) in town sell rubbish feathers at top $$.

I don't have the time or skill to roll stunning thread wraps. With feathers you can customise a rod that will be unique.

Tony

sid_fishes
07-12-2006, 08:40 PM
mate if i knew where to buy feathers from i would not have asked the question, and if could do half the shit that i see rod builders doing i would be a happy man. i might be a dumb bastead but just what is a jungle cock[ apart from the thing in tarzans jocks]but thanks for the reply anyway SID

roz
08-12-2006, 08:49 PM
That is beautiful work & the first time I've seen it.

I would definately give that a go.

Was wondering if Peacock feathers cut down and possibly thinned out would work???

r.

ffejsmada
30-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Sid

If you know of somewhere to buy suitable feathers at a reasonable price....I'm listening.

I live in regional Qld and all the tackle shops (5) in town sell rubbish feathers at top $$.

I don't have the time or skill to roll stunning thread wraps. With feathers you can customise a rod that will be unique.

Tony
G'day Tony,
Beautiful job on the feather rod mate! Specifically what sort of "suitable"feathers are you after? I've got
thousands. Lot of small stuff, lots of big ones, lots of colorful ones, all sorts. I can't send you a PM as I haven't built up enough posts. I also want to know where in regional Qld you live as I'd like a couple of rebuilds done myself. Thanks, Jeff.

Tony_l
01-01-2007, 08:59 AM
SID

Sorry for the delay..... Jungle cock are remarkable feathers. I don't always use them but did on this occasion. Type it into goooogle.

ROZ

I have tried peacock and you will need to have a white background, and cselect smaller feathers. Post the photo's when your done. I have seen some of your wrapping and you have far more patiance then me.

ffejsmada

I try and stick to A grade fly tying feathers as the quality is generally uniform across the saddle.

This rod is owned by a mate of mine who has also asked me to do another three reduilds, after that I have two blanks of my own that I want to wrap.

Happy new year to all...

rick_k
06-01-2007, 07:42 PM
That's beautiful, Muriel.

Seriously, very very impressive!