PDA

View Full Version : ROD BUILDING WEEKEND 12th & 13th of MAY.

roz
13-01-2007, 03:51 PM
I've already had a few people ask when or if there will be another RBW.

So it's official. The 12th & 13th of May, as already stated.

LOCATION - will again be Greg's (Pinhead) house.......well, his backyard actually.

STUART McKENZIE of Precision Rods - Is very happy to run the class again.

So a BIG THANKYOU to both Stu & Greg.

Details will be sorted later on, after all it's still around 16 weeks away.

As you know we had a great bunch of guys last time and it would be good to see their faces again.

No tyre kickers please, last minute pull outs makes life difficult, although I certainly understand and sympathize when family & work problems pop up.

The numbers for this one will be limited to 15, so first in best dressed.

Looking forward to it.

cheers Roz.

finga64
13-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Pick me and I'll get back about the big brother #;D
Thanks Roz # :)
Thanks Pinhead :)

Lucky_Phill
13-01-2007, 11:31 PM
I'll be in again !! in the hope to improve on my bindings and maybe see a " weave " take place ?? Stui ???

I promise no spagetti rods this time ! :P

Phill

sid_fishes
14-01-2007, 07:11 AM
i,m in for another lesson or 2 thanks roz, greg cheers ian

finga64
15-01-2007, 05:49 AM
We all forgot to say ta to a very important person in the playing out of this little shindig...Stuart. :-[
So Stuart, thanks for being Eddy the expert for another week-end [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
Cheers Scott :)

Stuart
15-01-2007, 09:58 PM
Gee mate, I don't know about an expert. I was always told that an X is unknown factor and a spurt is a drip under pressure. I certainly relate well to the last. I always look forward to any thing rod building, no matter how good or what level your expertise is. Its just great to get together with like minded people and to have a laugh. Phill as for me doing a weave, I don't know mate because last time I was kept flat out keeping check on you guys.

Stu

Bearclaw
17-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Roz can't commit, but will drop in for a beer or two later in the day.

Myles

B_E_N
17-01-2007, 04:06 PM
hey
im interested in an abouts location for the weekend, im on the northside of brissy and am very keen but before commiting would like to know the distance id ahve to travel.
cheers

roz
17-01-2007, 06:00 PM
Hi Ben,

The rod Building W'nd will held at a private residence in Everton Park.

I think (not sure) as a junior member, you may not be able to send me PM just yet, you will have to work on that.

Anyway, post here if you are likely to be a starter & I will get more details to you.

Regards Roz.

Owen
21-01-2007, 07:15 AM
Roz,
Sandra & myself have decided we'll come down for this.
Look forward to meeting everyone.

cheers,
Owen

roz
21-01-2007, 07:51 PM
That's great Owen, you will really enjoy yourself.... I am hoping Sandra will also be a starter.

Will be in touch later with more info.

Looking forward to meeting you both.

Regards Roz.

jim_bream
26-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Hi Ros,
I've changed my mobile number, the new number is 0422-448-400, I'd love to come over and share the day with you all- I'll even be the chef for the day if that gives me the edge over anyone else! Ummm, maybe a case of tallie homebrews might sweeten the deal?? Anyhoo, I'm just 2 suburbs away and would really like to come so if there's any spaces left please consider me.
Happy Australia Day everyone!!
jimbo (Ian)

Stuart
27-01-2007, 09:14 AM
I second Ian coming providing he is checked at the door for Tallie Homebrews.:P

Stu

PinHead
28-01-2007, 04:44 PM
I second Ian coming providing he is checked at the door for Tallie Homebrews.:P

Stu

No beer of any kind for you until the end of each day ....if like last year they will need all the help they can get...LOL

Stuart
28-01-2007, 04:56 PM
OK that seems only fair. However Im bringing my own real beer this time. Cant drink that gold crap, like drinking cat piss, not that I have drunk cat piss but I reckon thats what it would tast like. Thats it Im bringing my own keg, as pinhead said, after last year I need it. ::)

Poodroo
28-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Hey if there is room can you count me in for the weekend too Roz? Thanks again for donating your efforts and time into these things and thanks to Greg and his wife for availing their place for it. I was sort of hoping to do something a little different and bring that Snyder Glas personal favourite of mine and maybe give it a new lease of life. Perhaps it might add a bit of a different twist in rod building by providing one to refurbish? As you have read recently I would love to put Fuji guides on it. Please let me know if that's a possibility. If not I guess I will be making a new one. ;)

Regards,

Poodroo

roz
28-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Love to see you there Poodroo,

Your idea re the snyder glas is excellent.

Would you be able to strip it back to the bare blank?? I've done that with a few of my old favourites, infact I will bring along my rejuvinated ugly stick, although I won't let Stu see the butt wrap, poor chappie has a bee in his bonnet atm.

It's up to you, but you won't believe the difference it will make, comes up like a brand new one. It will mean getting new grips, reel seat & butt cap... again that's up to you.

Will be in touch

cheers Roz.

finga
29-01-2007, 10:59 AM
Hey if there is room can you count me in for the weekend too Roz? Thanks again for donating your efforts and time into these things and thanks to Greg and his wife for availing their place for it. I was sort of hoping to do something a little different and bring that Snyder Glas personal favourite of mine and maybe give it a new lease of life. Perhaps it might add a bit of a different twist in rod building by providing one to refurbish? As you have read recently I would love to put Fuji guides on it. Please let me know if that's a possibility. If not I guess I will be making a new one. ;)

Regards,

Poodroo
Mate, go and see your brother.
He was trying to palm off some rod rollers onto me.
Better of in your shed then mine by the sounds of your big plans :)
By the sounds we'll finally say gidday ;D

shayned
29-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Roz,
Count me in again if you'll have me that is!!!!

Poodroo
29-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Thanks Roz. I thought I would show you a photo of the grips. I don't think it needs replacing but may need a bit of a sand back and re-laquering perhaps? See what you think. And thanks Finga. I will ask my brother about the rollers. Glad we will finally bump into one another.

Poodroo

roz
29-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Thanks Roz. I thought I would show you a photo of the grips. I don't think it needs replacing but may need a bit of a sand back and re-laquering perhaps? See what you think. And thanks Finga. I will ask my brother about the rollers. Glad we will finally bump into one another.

Poodroo

I think you are right, might get Stu a chance to add his opinion though... after all he has built a few rods.

The reel seat needs a bit of work by the look of things. Old gear like that has character imo. In my case the rods had those black synthetic grips that had become unstable from too much time in the sun.

I have my Grand Father's old beach rod and rebuilt it, I left the butt section in original condition, as it very old cork that had weathered well, besides that, old Pop once held it in his hands.

r.

roz
29-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Roz,
Count me in again if you'll have me that is!!!!

You're on the list!!!

Looking forward to seeing you.

Not too many places left now!!!!!!

r.

Poodroo
29-01-2007, 05:41 PM
I am so looking forward to this M&G. Having had no rod building experience should I attempt to remove the old runners before the M&G or wait until I get there so that I can be observed by the people in the know? Sorry about all the questions. Lol

Poodroo

roz
29-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Poodroo,

There's no such thing as too many questions. Geeez, the more I learn about rod building and fishing in general, the more I realise there's so much more to know.

IMO I would take off the old guides before you get there.

Quite a few people at last years rod building weekend had never built a rod before.

r.

Great White
29-01-2007, 07:01 PM
Roz , if there is enough room can Janine & I give it a go. From what I have seen in the rods you have made maybe you should be running the class :o

No offence to you Stu ;)

roz
29-01-2007, 09:22 PM
Roz , if there is enough room can Janine & I give it a go. From what I have seen in the rods you have made maybe you should be running the class :o

No offence to you Stu ;)

OK you're both in.

But I think you have just signed my death warrant.

Or a huge verbal flogging at the very least.

Might go and build myself a big concrete bunker.

With you two coming along, I think it's going to be better than last year if that's possible.

will be in touch & will PM you my phone numbers.

cheers roz.

roz
29-01-2007, 09:25 PM
only Two More Places Left.

Bribes will be accepted::)

Stuart
29-01-2007, 09:52 PM
Poodroo

That reel seat will come up nice once hit on a buffing mop using a polishing soap. I will bring one for you, you may have to remind me though. Poodroo, as for stripping the guides, wait till you get their mate and I will help you do it the safe way, that is with out butchering your blank. Roz is going to teach on how to do sick cross wraps and how to go blind. I think most guy's would rather look at her than me anyway. Cant wait to do another rod building weekend.

Stu

roz
29-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Poodroo

That reel seat will come up nice once hit on a buffing mop using a polishing soap. I will bring one for you, you may have to remind me though. Poodroo, as for stripping the guides, wait till you get their mate and I will help you do it the safe way, that is with out butchering your blank. Roz is going to teach on how to do sick cross wraps and how to go blind. I think most guy's would rather look at her than me anyway. Cant wait to do another rod building weekend.

Stu

Stu!!!

That was whimpy!!! I thought you would get stuck in a bit better than that.

As for going blind.... Well..... there are other things that will send you blind but we won't go there.

Yep, can't wait for the RBW bring it on.

r,

2DKnBJ
29-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Hi Roz
If there are any vacancies left for the weekend you can count me in.

Cheers Dazza

roz
29-01-2007, 10:08 PM
Looking forward to seeing you there Dazza.

will be in touch over the coming weeks.

regards roz.

Poodroo
29-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Poodroo

Stu

Thanks Stu. I feel much better now knowing that I am not going to be butchering the blank here at home and then bringing it along embarrassingly to the rod building weekend to show my handywork. ::) This rod used to be my alrounder off the rocks and still has a beaut action to it. The blank is in great condition still and I really do look forward to seeing it gleam again with yours and Roz's help. Thanks already for the advice. I think we are in for one hell of an enjoyable weekend. Maybe I can car pool with Great White and Herm. ;D

Regards,

Poodroo

Stuart
30-01-2007, 10:14 AM
Roz,

I was going to with both barrels but thought I would give mercy on you soul at the last hour. As for going blind, well I was going to go on about that a bit more but thought it wouldnt be good on this site. You know me, all prim and propper. :o

Stu

PinHead
30-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Roz,

I was going to with both barrels but thought I would give mercy on you soul at the last hour. As for going blind, well I was going to go on about that a bit more but thought it wouldnt be good on this site. You know me, all prim and propper. :o

Stu

when did that miracle happen ???

Stuart
30-01-2007, 01:22 PM
I had no doubt you would respond with something Pinhead. Just the same as always, that should be depressing enough for all involved in the RBW.

Stu

roz
30-01-2007, 02:50 PM
I like this Pinhead, while he (Stu) is picking on you he's leaving me alone.

r.

PinHead
30-01-2007, 06:41 PM
tis ok Roz..we (Stu and I ) will just have a few beers at the end of the weekend and discuss several things....could even be you.....I ain't scared of him.

Stuart
30-01-2007, 07:36 PM
Nothing quite like standing around having a beer with mates, talking about how woman can better serve us men. Roz, don’t bother calling me a pig, I already know and strive to better myself each day. You ask the misses, O hang on, she is busy washing, then she has to mowe the lawn, whipper snip, wash my cloths, take the rubbish out, hopefully with out disturbing my cricket. Life’s grand, got to go the wife’s coming. ;D

Stu

finga
31-01-2007, 06:48 AM
Nothing quite like standing around having a beer with mates, talking about how woman can better serve us men. Roz, don’t bother calling me a pig, I already know and strive to better myself each day. You ask the misses, O hang on, she is busy washing, then she has to mowe the lawn, whipper snip, wash my cloths, take the rubbish out, hopefully with out disturbing my cricket. Life’s grand, got to go the wife’s coming. ;D

Stu

What about cooking tea??
Who's cooking tea??? :-/

roz
31-01-2007, 11:30 AM
The three of you badly need to have the operation.

Stuart
31-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Roz

Yep, was considering having a lobotomy in both heads just to be safe. And no, I’m not from Tassie.:P

Stu

Owen
31-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Got all the bits for my new NV-07 samurai based rod today ;D ;D
It's going to be a spiral wrapped jobby.
I won't be able to contain myself until the rod building weekend so it'll either be a "work in progress", or a perfect candidate for some thread art of some description, though I'm not sure I'd want to start something I couldn't finish at TRBW

Thanks to Ross @ TRW for his prompt service and willingness to discuss options.

cheers,
Owen

2DKnBJ
31-01-2007, 07:48 PM
Cheers Roz
Now i have to decide if i want to build a new rod or re-build an old faithful.
Decisions,Desisions......Just too damn hard for us Males..

Poodroo
31-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Cheers Roz
Now i have to decide if i want to build a new rod or re-build an old faithful.
Decisions,Desisions......Just too damn hard for us Males..

:o Speak for yourself. ;D Nothing wrong with doing up an old faithful. In fact there is almost more sense of satusfaction seeing it transformed from rags to riches I think. I intend to find that out with my old Snyder Glas. ;)

Poodroo

wazza66
31-01-2007, 09:57 PM
Hi Roz,any room left for one more very interested virgin rod builder?
Would love to come,even more so after reading all of the previous replies.
Cheers
Wazza

roz
31-01-2007, 10:44 PM
Hey Wazza!!!

A quick look at the numbers and you are number 15!!! Good onya.

Looking forward to meeting you & I will be intouch over the next few weeks.

cheers r.

Any others please pm me, so if someone pulls out I will let you know.

roz
11-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Hi everyone,

On Saturday of our Rod Building Weekend, we will be given an insight into decorative binding by Dave Boyle of Visual Wrap.

Dave will be using slides & software, so show us how decorative finishes can be achieved.

Personally looking forward to seeing this.

A practical demonstration, especially in weaves takes too long, & cross wraps is a lot quicker, but also takes quite a bit of time.

This way we will get a condensed version. Dave will also be able to answer any questions & don't forget Stu is a weave expert also.

Just something else to look forward to over that weekend.

Cheers Roz.

Rodman
24-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Hi Guys

I live at Joyner and would like to attend

Thanks
Ken (Frazorodz)(Rod & Reel Repairs)

Rodman
25-03-2007, 09:49 PM
I would like to be one of the 15 for the 12/13 May 2007

Ken Burgess
38820562;D

Lovey80
11-05-2007, 06:40 PM
Hi guys, only been a member for about a week. Im moving back to Brisbane-Sunny Coast in about 6 weeks. Realise I have missed this RBW but would love to book a spot for the next one. I may be able to get a fresh stash of King Prawns strait off the boat(depends on the timming). Been asking a few questions on the topic and am spewing 1. That I only realised how good these sites were a few weeks ago and missed the boat and 2. That i'm not already living back in QLD.

Cheers Chris Love

blaze
11-05-2007, 07:07 PM
Hi All
hope you all have a fun weekend, might have to see if I can come up for a future one. At this point in time I have chickened out on building a loomis (going to start with a cheaper blank), but I have rung up a top pro builder in devonport and order a custom loomis.
cheers
blaze

Lucky_Phill
12-05-2007, 06:29 AM
I reckon you should do the Loomis yourself Robbie. Mate, if it doesn't turn out exactly the way you want, you can always re-do it. Also being an ' expensive ' blank, you might be more inclined to pay a tad more attention to getting it right the first time.

My first attempt was a M10 for offshore work and although I considered it " average ".......well to me it looked bloody fantastic cause I did it, I have been using it and with no problems.

Once you've built a rod, you'll know there are no big secrets to it. Well, maybe one... Patience...........

We''ll keep you posted on the goings on over there today and tomorrow. I am taking 2 rods over.... 15-24 big fish buster and a nice little 6' flick stick for the bream / bass season. I'll be concentrating on the 2kg stick as I have single foot guides for it, and I haven't put them on before.

Hey, and I'm sure there'll be one or 2 of us at the Agnes later in the year that can assist in any way we can. Now that sounds good. Maybe a night session finishing off some rods and using them the next day or so !! perfect.

OH, Robbie.... ALL goodies recieved. much appreciated. I'll keep you informed on that matter.

Cheers Phill

blaze
12-05-2007, 07:10 AM
expect plenty of pics
cheers
blaze

roz
12-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Hi guys, only been a member for about a week. Im moving back to Brisbane-Sunny Coast in about 6 weeks. Realise I have missed this RBW but would love to book a spot for the next one. I may be able to get a fresh stash of King Prawns strait off the boat(depends on the timming). Been asking a few questions on the topic and am spewing 1. That I only realised how good these sites were a few weeks ago and missed the boat and 2. That i'm not already living back in QLD.

Cheers Chris Love

Mmmmm.... Havn't even finished the '07 RBW and the're putting there hands up for the '08 event.

Cartons of VB make good bribes as well as green death for Pinhead, must find out what Sue likes (besides Greg.... poor girl).

Blaze,

YOU WILL BUILD YOUR LOOMIS YOURSELF!

Could combine the Agnes M&G and the RBW just for your sake Rob:o

r.

sid_fishes
15-05-2007, 07:01 PM
the problem with that is that because we keep coming back we need more teachers, more room[ no offence greg/sue],more beer ,more food, why cant we make this a once a month thing???? sid