PDA

View Full Version : GB1800 workhorse requires rebuild?

rick_k
12-01-2007, 10:59 PM
the front grip now rotates on the blank. Only had it since the '70s :'(

Could glue it back on, however am interested in replacing fuji glow in the dark runners with cup framed silicone carbides and minimalist bindings, including underbinding.

Have done this kind of job before, but going back in time to speed king filler and gloss estapol. Have heard of tricks with araldite and hair dryers.......

So if you are interested in the job and are on the Nth side, send a pm. Am happy to cut off the old metal winch fitting. Otherwise, hints and tips gratefully received

Noelm
15-01-2007, 11:59 AM
there is a million finish coats and fillers around these days, and if you have done it before, just do the job yourself, but I have found my local tackle shop charges just a bit more than the cost of the guide to replace one, so, in some ways it can be better to just drop it off one day, pick it up a few days later and save all the drama with home repairs (if there is any)

rick_k
16-01-2007, 12:27 AM
G'day Noel M,

That could be a goer. Will negotiate a price for the whole rod.

Years ago I crushed a runner on a much loved rod, bought a runner, rebound it myself, and sent it off through the tackle store for the new fangled epoxy treatment. Charged $20, and my nice bright gold trim came back all dull.

Apart from the dull gold, kinda makes sense now, as the repairer's rotisserie would have been out of action for almost as long for that one runner as a rod full, and the time factor for coating one runner would not have been much less than for 8.

I like binding the runners. Might have to talk to the shop about getting the full set of replacement runners, and then having the bindings epoxied. :DMay be a problem if the underbindings aren't filled/epoxied/? before the overbindings go on? Then again, speed king filler and gloss estapol last a decade or so :D

Still keen to hear from anyone who wants the job.

Noelm
18-01-2007, 08:30 AM
I always apply several coats of 'filler" before any finish coat is applied, you always get a good smooth finish then, another little trick is to put masking tape at the ends of your binding so when you apply the finish coat, you remove the tape and get a good straight 'end" to the epoxy, looks professional, don't think it is a secret or anything, but I see heaps of rods with rough ends on the finish coat.

rick k
19-01-2007, 12:30 AM
Thanks Noel M.

I've built a few rods, but am out of touch with modern techniques.

Know a bloke down South who does great work,but not economical to get the rod to him.

Think I need to get a rotisserie, or to pay someone to do the epoxy. It will be the latter,so I'll chat to them about their choice of filler etc.

Have seen no signs of interest from anyone in doing the job here, so will chat to the local tackle store.

Bearclaw
19-01-2007, 11:09 AM
Hey rick
you rebuild it and I will put the finish on for you.

Myles

rick k
23-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Myles, thanks for your very generous offer and very reasonable 'fee'. Can I contact you again if I need an epoxy job?

On this occasion I've decided to reglue the grip on old faithful, as everything else is holding up ok.

Thanks again to all.

sleepygreg
24-01-2007, 12:13 AM
cant believe there arent any tackle shops doing this stuff...its so bluddy basic and simple.....to get a good finish and at a reasonable price. Speed king is the old stand by for a quick fix.......there are so many excellent 2 part finishes on the market that only need simple techniques to give a superb finish........and if you keep your first coat thin....you dont need filler....thats my preference .....gives you a superb finish. Always coat the underbind before you over bind. build your finishes.
Greg