PDA

View Full Version : johnson 35hp/ 3cyl/ 2 stroke

casey
01-10-2001, 02:40 PM
hey fella`s.
does anybody know what the omc 35hp 3 cyl 2 stroke motor is like. im just thinking about getting a motor that has a lot less weight, my current motor is an evinrude 40hp 4 stroke, its brand new, owsome motor but i think it may be a bit heavy on my boat, they weigh 108kg, and the johno weigh`s 72kg, see what i meen. thanks catch ya...
casey.. ;D

dazza
04-10-2001, 02:22 PM
Hi Casey,
I know 2 people with the 35 johhno and they are happy with them. They recon they are not as good as the 4 strokes but better than the 2 cylinder 2 strokes. One guy repowered with a 4 stroke. What is you weight distribution like. I upgraded from a 30hp Johhono 2 cylinder 2 stroke to a 40hp 4 stroke. I was worried about weight but it isn't a problem. I have all my fuel up front and everything is well ballanced. I have a 4.1m Stessco which is rated to 40hp. The whole rig is perfect.
Regards
dazza

casey
05-10-2001, 01:47 PM
hey dazza.
the weight is a little off, but the weight of the motor is 108kg, it is heavier then allowable buy manufacturer, i think i will get the hornet soon as i get the cash, i really want my 4 stroke. catch ya..
casey

skeeter
30-10-2008, 07:10 AM
I have a Johnson 35 (same model you are referring to) on my 4.3m centre console. It runs and handles reliably, is as economical as you would expect normally aspirated 2 stroke to be. I would like re-power with DI 2 stroke or 4 stroke. But as you have discovered there is at least 30kg's difference to get into either of these. Thats not insignificant for smaller boats.

Its a hard sell really, I, like most rec fisho's are environmentally conscience and would like to benefit from one of the new style outboards. I am not having any problems with my Johno so its hard to risk trading up to a heavier motor.

My thoughts.
Peter

ozbee
30-10-2008, 07:55 AM
ever thought of welding a couple buoyancy tanks where your step up is. will help to lift up when stationary.

Spaniard_King
30-10-2008, 03:06 PM
I have a Johnson 35 (same model you are referring to) on my 4.3m centre console. It runs and handles reliably, is as economical as you would expect normally aspirated 2 stroke to be. I would like re-power with DI 2 stroke or 4 stroke. But as you have discovered there is at least 30kg's difference to get into either of these. Thats not insignificant for smaller boats.

Its a hard sell really, I, like most rec fisho's are environmentally conscience and would like to benefit from one of the new style outboards. I am not having any problems with my Johno so its hard to risk trading up to a heavier motor.

My thoughts.
Peter
.. geez you must have been digging for a while to find this post Skeeter :o

Ocean_Spirit
30-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Hi Mate,

I have a 1996/97 Johnson 35 3-Cylinder on a 1969 Seafarer 4.2Mtr Ventura that I restored. It has been a superb little engine, and would find it ver hard to part-with. Very smooth, always starts first-go, easy to service and nice simple design.

They were the very early forerunner to the later DFI engines that OMC introduced.

They were built up until 2001 as both Evinrude / Johnson. They were pulled from production due to production cost issues - very expensive small motor to build with plenty of features taken straight off the bigger Evinrude/Johnson V4's and V6's.

They have a great power curve and carry weight well. Looking at the new 25/30 E-TEC, they look to share a very similar gear-box arrangement (same gear box ratio).

They are a big improvement on say a 2-Cylinder 25/30/35. One thing that you should do, if you buy one, is remove the separate oil-reservoir and run them on 50:1 pre-mix just in your normal fuel.

Here are the specs below:

Displacement: 34.5 (Cu. In)
Bore/Stroke: 2.50" x 2.34"
Cylinders: 3
Fuel Induction: Carburetor
RPM:5200 - 5800
Weight (KG): 77KG
Gear Ratio: 2.15:1
Alternator: 4/12 Amp Electric Start