PDA

View Full Version : Stecco or Sea Jay ????

mossy43
16-12-2001, 06:48 PM
Has anybody had much to do with the Stessco RV and the Sea Jay range of boats? I am interested in the RV Hurricane 445 with a 40hp Yamaha on the back. I like the look of the boat but I unable to talk to anybody other then the salesperson to find out what they are really like. The other boat I like is the Sea-Jay 445 dinghy/sp with a 40hp Yamaha on the back. Again I can find no one apart from the salesperson to talk to about it. Could anybody give me some good information on these boats please? The main use of these boats will be short to medium offshore work along Fraser Island and alike.

Fitzy
17-12-2001, 09:08 PM
Hi Mossy,
I can't comment on the Stesco but I have test driven the Sea Jay 445 Dingy/SP while in Bundaberg recently. I found it to be be a good ride & tracked really well. Was able to throw it into some tight turns & she handled it well. The one I tried out had a couple of us in it & it jumped out fine. I didn't put it through any serious sea but it looks like it would handle a chop OK.

Specs as copied from their website for the 445 Dingy/SP:
- 2 mm bottom & 1.6 mm sides
- 1.97m beam
- 0.87m depth
- 11 floor ribs
- approximate weight is 161 kg
- 40 Hp maximum
- 95 kg maximum motor weight
http://www.seajayboats.com.au/images/4.5dinghy.jpg
Standard Fitout includes
2 Thwart Seats Foam Fitted
Back Corner Gussets
Front Shelf
Front & Rear Handles
Towing Eye
Rowlocks
Front Bollard
2 x 1.5" Plastic Bungs
Full Tank Rack
Spray Chines

I was pretty happy with the SeaJays & ended up buying a customised 4.9 Barra boat that is a bit more stable for the fishing I do (mainly in esturary & fresh)

You can go to their website for other info or your local dealer at http://www.seajayboats.com.au/.

I couldn't find any website for Stesco.

Hope that helps,

Fitzy..

mossy43
18-12-2001, 08:33 AM
Thank you for the advice I think I am more partial towards the Sea Jay as well they are a little wider and look like they would take the chop real well. I have since spoken to a couple of guys who have the 4.1 magnums and say they are great. I will be making a trip to Bundy to have a look at some of the models and maybe get one built to suit me with a live bait tank etc.

Brett_Finger
19-12-2001, 05:17 PM
Fella,
mate i am a staunch Sea-Jay man. have had three sea-Jays and all have proven to be very strongly built and extreamly stable!!! ;D
another great point i lave with them is the fact that if at all possable the guys at the factory can build the huul to presonal requirements,i have been fortunate enough to have all three hulls custon built to my requirements.
This is not always possable due to strict regulations,but if what your asking is possable to achive with the hull in question,you will find that it will not be a proublem.
the Sea-Jay dealers i have spoke to in most of the places i fish have been only to happy to discus the options avibale to us fisho's.
Hookin,Brett

Fitzy
19-12-2001, 06:22 PM
Hi Mossy,
Just noticed you were in Hervey Bay, only a short drive to Ron Glass Marine at Bundaberg to suss out or get prices on a Sea Jay.
Bruce & the crew there are always ready to help or give you some realistic options. Just today I rang them & they are sending me a smaller steering wheel so that I can fit more electronics onto the console.
Call them on 4151 3764.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

mossy43
19-12-2001, 07:16 PM
Thanks Fitzy #:D we do have a dealer here in Hervey Bay but I might go for a drive to Bundaberg and have a talk to the boys in the factory as well while I am there. There are quiet a few extras I want on the boat so if I talk to them they can tell me if it can be done. #;D Thanks.

Brett_Finger
22-12-2001, 05:18 PM
Mossy,
don't forget to take a good pair of shoes with you,there's a fair chance you'll get the tour of the factory, a very classy operation.and yes do call in and see Hoops and the team at Ron glass Marine as you will find them extreamly helpfull.
Hookin,Brett