PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions

Christine
18-12-2001, 05:25 PM
Looking at a new boat and wondered if you could help me out.

What are your opinions on the advantages/disadvantages of either a Quintrex Hornet 4.35m or Bermuda 4.60m?

They are similar in price and the Bermuda has last year's millenium hull, would you buy the Hornet or the Bermuda for the extra length?

It will be used on the dams and in the bay.

Thanks
Christine

Sandy
18-12-2001, 07:15 PM
I would never buy any of them hornet style hulls. There is no grade of aluminium that is suitable for bending like they've done & retains good marine qualities.
Either they will be prone to splitting or they will start getting dusty (oxidising).
Marine architects have warned against trying to make a fibreglass style hull out of aluminum, namely these hulls.
2 prototypes recently sunk. One went down straight off the back of the trailer.

You've been warned, be carefull. There are pitfalls to mass production in many industries. It looks like the boat building one is going down the disposable path too with these boats.

No mention was made of the other Quintix hulls.

adrian
19-12-2001, 04:39 AM
hi christine
you need to look carefully at your needs . the bay can get nasty 2.5 mtr swell is not out of the question . if you get caught in it , it will be a wet trip home . i have a quinnie 4.5 mtr bay hunter no problems with it , is the fishing mainly dams or about the same ? . an open boat is great for casting but you get awful hot and with no shade you'll get burnt . my friends have a simliar boat it's stable but I won't take it out ( i like a little shade ) as getting wet in summer is ok but winter no way . #each hull has it's differences . look for the one that fits in the space at home a longer and wider hull is more stable but the smaller one you can fit into smaller creeks when the wind blows . look at under floor storage the more that stores away underneath the floor the better eg. no tripping over rods or tackle boxs when playing the big one to the side of the boat . if you have your heart set on this type of boat get one with a flat floor , heaps of room and one that will keep you dry . #a light weight boat is great for moving around the yard , but is also easy for the wind to blow around on the water . I've been in both boats you want to buy but they have not impressed me with the layout that the owner has . spend heaps of time checking out the layout of other boats so you get an idea of what you want remember you are about to layout a lot of hard earned cash for this boat make sure it is what you want not what the salesman wants to sell you .
buy the best your money can afford do not go #over the amount you want to spent there is nothing worst than #a nice boat and no money for fuel to take it out
Anzac

krazyfisher
20-12-2001, 02:49 PM
I took 12 months looking for the right boat for me I had a 12ft tinny and now I have a 435 hornet and love it chop is no problem and is a very dry boat, very stable and I like the layout just got the standard and the front cast deck is big under storage is great 3/4 flat floor I have tried alot of boatys and fished in quite a few and for my usage it is the best I could find I use it in creeks for crabs and around the close islands upto 5mile out.I have been in some rough seas and was impressed. all I can say is how much I like my hornet the new ones not the old hull if you want to know any more just message me.

Jim_Linden
20-12-2001, 06:48 PM
Christine,

I can't help you with relative performance comparisons of the boats you have mentioned.

I can, however, advise you that the comments made about splitting and oxidising in Quintrex Millenium hulls, well intentioned as they may be, are technically a load of rubbish. I would not be put off from buying a Quintrex, if that is what you decide, by such comments.

Cheers
Jim Linden

Jack_Lives_Here
21-12-2001, 12:54 PM
Christine

I'm onto my third hornet. The new one is the millenium hull and it seems much drier than the old style hull. I had my previous boat thru some nasty stuff - wind against tide in the Hinchinbrook channel - and it performed like a tinny should. We took it steady and I felt safe the whole time. They are extremely stable to fish from. If you are realistic about what you want to achieve it should not be a problem. I would take my boat across to Moreton on a good day in a heart beat.

Sandy's comment may have creedence but put it in perspective - 2 boats out of how many hundreds out there ????

Jack

Lucky_Phill
22-12-2001, 04:08 PM
I will not advise you on what brand of boat to buy, but, check out page 37 of this months ( january ) Bush ' N " Beach to get an idea of what should go into a tinnie of that length. good luck and good fishing.

Fitzy
22-12-2001, 04:33 PM
I will not advise you on what brand of boat to buy, but, check out page 37 of this months ( january ) Bush ' N " Beach to get an idea of what should go into a tinnie of that length. #good luck and good fishing.

THought the name looked familiar. ;D

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Cremated_Reddog
22-12-2001, 06:37 PM
I will not advise you on what brand of boat to buy, but, check out page 37 of this months ( january ) Bush ' N " Beach to get an idea of what should go into a tinnie of that length. #good luck and good fishing.

Hey Phill I would check it out if the bloody thing ever got delivered like it is suppose to... >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

haven't seen November or december issuses yet, ron musta lost my subscription somewhere.... not a real happy camper at the moment....

Reddog

Christine
22-12-2001, 06:55 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for all your help you've certainly given me a lot to think about that's for sure. I've also been looking at the Bermuda 460 as well or a Sea Jay what do you think about these #??? The only thing I know for sure is I'll be putting a Yamaha on it #;D. #

I appreciate all of your comments guys, you know this is the only site that I got an answer to this question. It must say something about the type of people on this board. Thanks again guys.

Cheers
Christine.

Luke
22-12-2001, 06:59 PM
You bettcha

Christine
22-12-2001, 07:11 PM
Cheers mate

Luke
22-12-2001, 09:36 PM
No wuckers mate

Fitzy
22-12-2001, 10:41 PM
Hi Christine,
Cannot comment on the Bermuda as I've never driven one.

I did a bit of testing out of the Sea Jays before I bought one & was pretty happy with several models & sizes. I ended up getting a modified 4.9 Barra boat & am extremely happy with it. Super stability was one of my high priorities (for charter work) & that's what I've got. Had big blokes like Brett Finger & Harro in it & it don't budge. 8)
Just do your self a favour & ask alot of questions, like grades of aluminium used, thickness, number of ribs, as well as dimentions etc.
Also, as you've already made up your mind on the Yammy (4 stoke?), make sure the transom height is suitable for that particular model. Not all motors are the same length & some boats are better suited to certain brands on donk.
Don't forget to ask if they do custom work too. Some do, some don't.

Cheers & Merry Christmas,

Fitzy...

Christine
25-12-2001, 05:14 PM
HI Fitzy,

Thanks for that info I'll be checking everything out #for quite a while yet. I'm not in any hurry. Buying a boat is an investment in our fishing future so it pays to take ones time and hopefully get it right the first time. I don't think there'd be anything worse than buying a boat and a month later finding it's not what you expected.

Cheers and have a good one
Christine

tonyp
28-12-2001, 08:16 AM
Hi Christine,

I am on my third Quinny. and could not be happier. This one is a 4.35 hornet decks and live wells and rod locker and side console. It has been through some rough water in the dams and Open broadwater with no problems. no sign of hulls cracking in any of my boats, i would recomend side console if money allows as it is far safer to handle a boat in a large chop and bad weather than holding a tiller .
You are more than welcome to try mine if you wish, at B.P. crab Eric and away you go. 50 hp yammy 4 banger is a beaut motor. Quintrex bolted the motor on and it is very hard to make it cavitate unless i have it trimed way up. I can make the boat slide sometimes as well with the trim,if needed.
Speed well i would like to go faster but only in the comps, keep it back on 5500rpm and the fuel gauge stays fairly well still. Go fo the new hull, the eclipse hull is 80mm wider at bottom and about 110mm wider at the top. As well as the way the bow slowly comes round to the point and i have enough room for the Foxtrot.
I am a happy quinny owner. No need to go 24volt bowmount either 12 is plenty.55lb.
Just by the way have you had any prices as yet ? Would be interested to know what they are worth as i might sell mine when 12 months is up.
Regards tony

Christine
29-12-2001, 07:48 AM
HI Guys,

I've changed tac #;D I've now deceided on a Stacer 4.75 Nomad. #Haven't actually got prices yet but by pics and specs it looks like it would make a good allround boat.

With a rear pod and a full height transom and a few extra mm in the depth seems like it would be a safe boat. The bottom of the hull configuration gives it what looks like quiet a stable boat at rest and one that would track well through a sea.

This is all yet to be seen #:) I'll have to think about the motor.

Christine

krazyfisher
29-12-2001, 05:36 PM
Is that one of the hornet style hull copies?

Christine
29-12-2001, 05:55 PM
Is that one of the hornet style hull copies?

No Krazyfisaher it's not the same or a copy.
It's a pointy nose boat not a punt ;D
It's simmilar to a 475 Reef Hunter Caprice but instead of a centre console it's got a rear side console.

If anyone knows anything about these types of boats I'm up for all opinions. The boat is a 475 Stacer Nomad.

Christine

Fitzy
29-12-2001, 06:14 PM
Hi Christine,
Didn't know Stacer have a model called Nomad. Shows how much I know eh?
I know Sea Jay have a model called Nomad, in 3.9 & 4.2m. See http://www.seajayboats.com.au/4.2nomad.html

Just did a search & found Stacer Nomad info at http://www.stacer.com.au/475nomad.html

What ever you end up with, take care of it so it can take care of you.

Cheers,

Fitzy..