PDA

View Full Version : electric for my boat which one??

krazyfisher
06-01-2002, 06:29 PM
I have a 435 hornet and have to battle with 6m tides what size electirc do I have to get what batteries will I need how long do they last any and all info would be great

elegant_bass
07-01-2002, 07:07 AM
minn kota ap55
85amp battery do the job

big bad bass ;D ;D ;D

Simon
08-01-2002, 05:48 AM
I'm no expert but I would also suggest the Minn Kota Riptide 55lbs thrust bow mount. the foot controller gives you more options whilst fishing/casting. Love that auto pilot. I used mine in the Harbour and around the Island out from it and in the pioneer river at all stages of the tide from the V up to the bridge where the pipe goes across the river, although it was a little touch a go at one stage there when the current peaked just before the pipes I didn't have any probs at all.

The battery size really does depend on how you are going to fit the boat out with regard to distances from batteries if you will fit/use isolator switches and how long you plan to use it each session. I would suggest something in the 100s as when the tides get up and running you will have to be powering in the upper thrusts if it is a stand alone set-up.

One final note don't connect your sound to the same battery as the electric as you will get interference on the screen.

Cheers

Simon

Chris_J
08-01-2002, 09:39 AM
I have that "lecty" and i have not had any dramas at all. the autopilot is great.

The way to go.........

Chris

krazyfisher
08-01-2002, 03:24 PM
This is all great to know thats for the help fella's why bow mount and how long will it last for and how quick will it go.

Jack_Lives_Here
09-01-2002, 07:11 AM
Have to agree 100% with all the others - RT55 bow mount with auto pilot. I had one on my 435 Hornet and it was brilliant. I use a 109amp deep cycle battery and have only flattened it once and that was a big day with a lot of use at full power. The maximiser system extends the use time.

Why bow mount - I had a tiller steer (about 36lb) and it was a real pain in a hot bite, when I had to reposition the boat. It breaks all the concentration and got my goat plenty of times - my mate stopped me a few times from unbolting it and letting it swim with the fishes. The foot controls take some getting used to but it's a good excuse to get on the water and practice. The auto pilot is magic.

All the best
Jack