PDA

View Full Version : Repair Alloy 9" boat wheels

Hazzard
09-01-2002, 03:32 PM
Does anybody know if 9" Alloy boat wheels can be repaired. My wheel nuts pull through and I need the holes welded up and re drilled. Maybe they are disposable and would be cheaper to buy new ones. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

blaze
10-01-2002, 05:11 PM
Hi hazzard
just a thought, can the holes be redrilled if you rotate the wheel and put new holes between the old flogged ones.
cheers blaze

Hazzard
16-01-2002, 05:44 AM
good idea however the'rs a fin between the existing holes
i think like most things the're looked on as disposable :'( Thanks for the reply Chris

Jim_Linden
16-01-2002, 03:53 PM
Hazzard,

I had the same problem - the nuts hadn't quite pulled through, but they'd eaten in a fair way.

Mate, I wouldn't play around with them if I were you - they're pretty marginal at the best of times - welding, drilling, sleeving, etc. ain't gunna make them any better.

I bought two newies. Cheapest place I found was Caravan Accessories in Kogarah, Sydney (I mail order a bit of stuff from them for the caravan occasionally).

Make sure you put a bit of grease on the each wheel nut before tightening (stops the nut from galling the wheel material off), and DON'T overtighten. This is the most common cause of the problem you have - we all do it - we're so used to swinging on the wheel brace for the car wheels, that we just automatically do it on the boat trailer too. Just nip 'em up a tad past the point when they first bite.

Good luck
Jim Linden