PDA

View Full Version : micro chips in boats

mick
18-01-2002, 05:52 AM
i have recently been looking at buying a boat. it has a small blue sticker with a bar code and a 5 digit number on it. the owner says it is a microchip and part of the boats rego. does anyone know who does the microchiping???. it may not be an australian boat either so it might be a form of rego in another country, if so does anyone know what country???.

the last thing i want is to buy a stolen boat only to have the police take it, leaving me with no boat and no cash.

Jim_Linden
18-01-2002, 04:08 PM
Mick,

Don't know anything about the microchip bit, but, depending on what state you live in, you may be able to check on the status of the boat through the registering authority.

From memory, in NSW, you can now check on boat status through REVS - I think it's the same here in Qld too, but not certain. Give the registering authority a call, they'll be able to tell you whether the facility exists to check for legitimate ownership.

Cheers
Barrabasha

mick
20-01-2002, 05:41 AM
yeah thanx. ive tried. I rang the cops to do a police check, they told me to ring the roads and traffic authority, they told me to ring the department of fair trading, and they told me to ring the roads and traffic authority and so on and so on. after about 3hrs on the phone i gave up. unfortunatley the vessel is not state registered.

adrian
25-01-2002, 04:51 PM
hi
this is news to me too didn't know anyone did it . I would er on the side of caution and pass on the boat . too much is at stake your hard earned money isn't easy to come by . I'd pass on it because there is no way of telling as it doesn't sound like it's from around australia.

anzac