PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Oil

doorstop
15-01-2002, 05:08 PM
My Yamaha 40 is a great little motor and I'm very happy with it, however, it seems to be quite smoky especially trolling of course. I have heard that there are some oils which are almost smokeless and very non-polluting, what are these oils, where are they available and, most importantly, are they good for the motor??? ???

mick
20-01-2002, 05:58 AM
i have on old mercury, it runs well and is reliable. it used to smoke like a jamacan hippie. i found that you get what you pay for in oils. my advice is buy the dear shit and drop your mixture ratio back a little. a petrol treatment to remove the build up of tar and resins from the pistons etc is also a worthwhile investment.
hapy hunting

doorstop
20-01-2002, 08:38 AM
Mick, Thanks for that mate, I don't buy cheap oils because I firmly believe that cheap oils mean dear repairs.... I would also find it a bit difficult to lean the oil mix off, even if I wanted to, as the 40hp Yam has oil injection.....
I would actually pay quite a bit more if I knew an oil was the bees knees for the health of my motor AND not so bad for the environment, I don't like leaving an oily film behind me and the smoke is not so good either... Oh! and I can't afford a 4 stroke!
So I am still looking for recommendations for the "Ultimate" 2 stroke oil, all suggestions gratefully received. :)

Smithy
23-01-2002, 05:38 PM
Quicksilver oil is probably the best (expensive) but I am happy running Shell Nautilas. This was recommended to me by my outboard mechanic who said it is the best if you can't afford Quicksilver. I have found Castrol pretty disappointing for the hype that surrounded it when it first came out. Valvoline is pretty smokey whilst OMC and Mobil are smelly. BP is O.K. I think if I remember correctly. Can't remember if I have used genuine Yamaha oil.

Did hear a rumour once that Yamaha oil injection systems are pretty sensitive to the oils you put through them but not sure if this is B.S. or not. I run everything through my 70 but did meet a bloke who was having a bad run with his 40 and by switching oils fixed his problem.

By the way my 70 runs beautifully without oiling up. I do lots of trolling, up to 12 hours a day. Run your oiling up problem past your mechanic.

fatman
25-01-2002, 04:28 AM
I think the stuff you are looking for is Torco smokeless two stroke oil. #Can't vouch for it myself as I have not tried it yet, but I hear good things about it
cheers
FATMAN

have look here
http://www.lynxcorporation.com.au/home/Hot_news/hot_news.html

team_mongo
25-01-2002, 04:55 AM
We used torca during a hinchinbrook trip. Yes it has less smoke (but does still smoke a little) and the power was good. Unforntunately our trip was interrupted when the the outboard (merc 30) died mid channel. Took a couple of days to fix. Turned out to be the electronics, but dont know if it could be related to the oil?? I think unlikely.

Give it a go, and see what you think.

George

doorstop
26-01-2002, 12:10 PM
:) Thank you all, that was just the answer(s) I was after. I shall now go and try, I do have to admit that after having the motor serviced last week that it seems to have improved somewhat, but I am still going to try some of your recommendations.
Thank you again!

webby
26-01-2002, 04:12 PM
Hi fellas, i have a 99/130 yammie, and have always used
yamalube2 receommended for motors running ratio 100:1
and oil injected, have not had any probs with this oil, then
only thing i find and it might be the case with all 2 strokes
is after a long run and u dont idle down for awhile before
killing motor, when u start up again i get a bit of smoke,
probably cause by not letting motor idle down . but the
yamalube is great a far as my use, which is bay and beyond
regards

flat_chat
27-01-2002, 07:49 AM
The best smokeless oil around is 'rude synthetic oil. This is the oil that they recomend to use in the FICHT engines. Being synthetic there is no oil smoke and there is virtually no oil smell when trolling downwind. Be warned though it is not cheap just bloody good.