PDA

View Full Version : 4 stroke v 2 stroke 40hp is it worth the change

Snoz
28-01-2002, 10:21 AM
I am contemplating changing my 40 HP 2 stroke Yamaha to a 40 HPYamaha 4 stroke. I do a fair bit of trolling in fresh and salt water. I was wondering if anyone has made a similar change to a 4 stroke and what their experience has been. Is it worth the change for an average fisho. Any comments greatly appreciated. :)

krazyfisher
28-01-2002, 10:29 AM
I have a 40hp 2 stroke and would change tomorrow cheaper to run, less noise, less smoke, they run smoother the list goes on and on but sorry I cann't see the money in it I'm staying with the 2 stroke untill I win lotto

Islander44
28-01-2002, 01:05 PM
Hi Guys

Remember too that with a 4 stroke the engine maintenance is more.
The outboards are often bigger as well, relative to a same HP 2 stroke.

Saying that i'd like one!

doorstop
29-01-2002, 01:31 PM
When I was buying my new boat 2 years ago I did my sums and it turned out that given a fuel saving of 30% and the increased service and maintenance costs, I would have to use 900 litres of fuel per year for 5 years to save the difference in price between the 4 stroke and the 2 stroke....
Given the sweetness of the Yam 40 on the previous boat I bought another 40hp Yamaha 2 stroke.....

elegant_bass
30-01-2002, 02:28 PM
i have 40hp 4stroke yamaha ,trade my 2 stroke .
hardly any nose or smoke.remamber you allwayes need 2stroke oil on top your fuel.

Randall
31-01-2002, 04:26 AM
Guys, this is the age old question, and a subject for debate.

Many of my fishing friends of late have been talking about this very subject and this is what the general concencus seems to be. (And I agree)

Although 4 strokes are smokeless and cheaper to run, the 2 bangers, with all the recent developments seem to be the smarter choice for the avid boaty who uses it consistently.

Price is cheaper.
Instant power. (4 Bangers are less responsive)
2 Bangers are very quiet now (Getting very close to 4 strokes)
2 bangers are considerably lighter.

The technology emerging with 2 stroke outboards makes them a clever mans choice these days. A man who wants "performance" out of his donk.
For those who are die-hard 4 strokers, thats good. They have often found that this is all they require from thier OB`s.

I like to "leap" up on the plane, and 4 strokes just dont cut it for me.

My thoughts anyway.
Regards, Randall.

Fitzy
31-01-2002, 05:06 AM
Hi Randall,
Go & talk to a few pros who run 4s. They wouldn't change back. Savings in fuel is the biggie. Talked to one recently who is up to 4000 hours on his evinrude 70 with not a hick-up.
The 4s leap out just fine these days, the difference noted by some can be attribuited to the extra weight invovled & crappy standard props put on some of the ealier models. (Hondas are still notorious for crap props as standard)

Things to consider:
-Length of servicable life before rebuild
-Re-sale value
-Operating costs. Fuel & oil purchase & consumption
-Smoothness of motor (trolling anyone?)
-Reliability & ease of startup
-Environmental impacts. ie noise, smoke, exhaust, oil. Also underwater noise from props.
-Service costs
-Initial purchase price
-Peer pressure (are you doing the same as your mates?)
-Weight. (2s lighter, 4s can be more stable at rest)

* Top end speed & speed out of hole is almost the same these days.

Everyone has their own requirements. Horses for courses.

Fitzy..

Randall
31-01-2002, 06:23 AM
Agreed mate.
I only have experience with smaller that 40hp, along with many other anglers who run with this rating and the 2 bangers seem to deliver the instant response to a W.O.T.

For me, its all about getting out of the hole real quick. Top end is not as important.

I`m yet to be convinced that 4 bangers with the same HP rating come anywhere near the 2 bangers for power to weight ratios.

This may all change with increased HP ratings of the larger 50-hp and up?

RG

doorstop
31-01-2002, 12:08 PM
I don't know if weight is such a problem nowadays, when I was doing my little "research" the difference between Yam 2's and 4's was one (1) lousy kilo.......and as far as the smoke goes, I am taking advice from you guys on my "Oil" post and smoke shouldn't be a problem :) :) :)