PDA

View Full Version : steering

Physical
29-12-2001, 03:37 PM
I am in the process of preparing to install new motors on my boat. Because I am going from the standard shaft (20") to XL shaft (25") I need to fit hydraulic steering. Also because of the alterations to the pods, I am required to install bull horn rams for each motor. Can anyone tell me the best hydraulic steering system for a twin hull 5.5 m cat boat at a reasonable price. 8)

Kerry
29-12-2001, 06:36 PM
Can't really say I like bullhorns and the problem on a Cat more so than a mono is the bits that can overhang. On a Cat my first consideration is a good tie-bar system which can eliminate one ram and also can reduce the steering as both motors are tied together.

As for rams something like the Hynautic K6 which is probably one of the smallest heaviest built front mount rams around.

There's reason for this question, but why is hydraulic required?

Cheers, Kerry.

Physical
01-01-2002, 03:35 AM
Kerry
The reason for the question, is that I have a Kevlacat and I have to lift the rear of the pods 15 cm so that the 25" shafted motors can be fitted. This then raises the steering point above the marlin board so that the single ram cannot function unless I mount it on top of the board.

8)

Kerry
01-01-2002, 10:06 AM
Ok can see your problem now and it's disappointing to see Cats fitted with 20" motors. It's a good move going to 25" motors.

I'm still for a single ram on the starboard engine and a good tie-bar system which if properly designed should still fit under the duck board and articulate with steering arms from each end to the motors. The only image I can lay my hands on at the moment just doesn't quite go far enough to see the design of the steering arms but if your interested I'm sure I can find better.

http://www.cqnet.com.au/~user/aitken/steer2.jpg

I also don't like the double ended rams made for Cats as these are difficult to bleed when insatlled upside down (as in under a duckboard).

Cheers, Kerry.

Kerry
04-01-2002, 05:59 AM
Physical, the steering arms.

http://www.cqnet.com.au/~user/aitken/tiebar_1.jpg

http://www.cqnet.com.au/~user/aitken/tiebar_2.jpg

Cheers, Kerry.

Physical
05-01-2002, 04:27 PM
Kerry

Thanks for the photo's, this is the same system that I have installed at the moment, except that my current system is a manual one. The main problem is that the duck board is set for the height of 20 inch motors and when I lift the motors 6 inches, the duck board is then 6 inches to low to fit this type of system to. That is why I have to get away from a system mounted under the duck board. Also if I tied the motors in, the tie bar would be 6 inches higher than the duck board, again a nuisance. Have had a look at a single action ram for each motor, but when extended so the boat turns to s'board the ram is 8 inches out past the side of the boat. That is why I have to look at bull horns. Thanks for your assistance.

8)

Kerry
09-01-2002, 04:04 AM
Physical, the height of the duckboard relative to the motor steering point shouldn't affect the fitting of a tie-bar system. Noticed the steering (single ram system) on a Cat the other day where the duckboard was a good 10-12" lower than the steering points on the motors. Basically it has to be a 3 piece tie-bar (as the photo's above) and not a single straight bar as you may have now. I know sounds a bit complicated but I believe the cost and functionality is probably an improvement over using 2 individual rams.

I wouldn't have thought the front mount type rams (like the K6) would stick out any further than something like a bullhorn type (K10 in link below) ???

http://www.morsecontrols.com/marine/SteeringComponents2b.htm

Cheers, Kerry.

les
31-01-2002, 02:02 PM
Kerry

Can no longer use the name physical, stuffed up my password. Never mind.

The motors are currently being fitted and at this stage will be using the manual steering and when it is finished, I will have a look at the K10 ram, if I find the steering to hard or heavy.

Thank you for your interest and help.

Les. 8)