PDA

View Full Version : Towing

cap
31-01-2002, 12:02 PM
G'day everyone, I have a few points that I would like to open for discussion.
1. Many people have told me not to tow my boat with my motor trimmed all the way up and supported by the motor support brackets.(except for the dealer that supplied the boat for me!) Even in my Yammie manual it says to use a transom saver bar, whatever that is?
2.I have a new Dunbier trailer and apparently they make a motor support bracket to suit their trailers for $115.Is this the answer?
3.What is the most practical and cost effective way to tow a boat without damaging the motor leg and hydraulic rams?

adza
31-01-2002, 03:44 PM
Hi cap,
The motor support bracket is a metal rod that goes between the trailer and the leg of the outboard and it supports some of the waight of the outboard.
I have used them on all my boats and I think that they are a great idea. You can buy generic adjustable supports from most boating stores. Hope I have helped.
Cheers
Adza ;D

cap
31-01-2002, 04:05 PM
Thanks for your reply Adza.I am pretty familiar with the motor support brackets that are on the market but one of my concerns was whether it is a good idea to use them.Numerous people have told me that because the boat and trailer move independently from each other when towing,no matter how tight the tie down strap is, this movement creates undue stress on the leg of the motor and transom as well. Too many people have mentioned this,for me to disregard as a serious problem.

Cheers

Cap

fatman
02-02-2002, 06:12 AM
Hi,
When I tow I put the trim bar on it's highest setting and flip the shallow drive thing in place and tie it in place with a rope around the bottom of the motor back to the trailer. I tow to the coast from the southern highlands regularly and (if anyone knows the place) travel the goat track out to Grabine (Wyangla Dam) and have never damaged or hit the motor on the ground.
I think that the closer the motor is to it's locked down position the better, this is how it sits and that is how the transom is designed to take the weight of the motor.
cheers
FATMAN

Jack_Lives_Here
03-02-2002, 03:32 AM
Cap,
The motor support bracket does just what it implies - supports the motor. It does not fix it to the one position as not to allow any movement. On mine, the rubber on the forks allows movement as does the rubber strap across the back of the leg. I've followed my boat when being towed by another vehicle and yes the trailer and boat do move independantly but the bracket allows for movement, due to the rubber. I'm not talking huge amounts.
Without a support bracket, the exaggerated effect when a motor is trimmed right up must be hell on the transom???
I've taken mine to Hinchinbrook 3 times now - some 2200km round trip from Brisbane each time and NEVER experienced problems.

Jack

Lucky_Phill
03-02-2002, 11:45 AM
I have to agree with adza and Jack. Every one of my boats has utilized amotor support bracket. It IS ONLY for support. When the motor is set at the position for towing, the majority of the weight is on the transom.

The rubbers and the straps ( ocky in my case ) allow for any independent movement. The other reason I like the bracket, is that it has to be removed prior to launching, and at that time your eyes will generally see if your bungs are in.

On my larger boats, when travelling, I tied the boat to the trailer, motor to the boat, bracket to the leg. Very little movement. I travelled from Brisvegas to the Whitsundays and also to Turkey Beach and 1770, and you know what those roads are like.

In the end, the decission is yours and I hope we all here have not confused you. :( ???

Lets not forget the other end of the towing situation. The weight at your tow ball should be about 200lbs ( 90 kgs ) or a " grunt ' lift. This stops swaying.

adrian
04-02-2002, 03:29 AM
hi cap
I too use a bracket , have ever had a boat i find that the it takes some of the weight off the back of the boat and on to the trailer an d it makes you check to see if the bungs are in ;)
anzac

jonesy
04-02-2002, 03:44 PM
hi there cap
I have had my rig for just on nine years now ,ihave allways used a leg support when in transit and never had any problems with my out board leg or had any sign of transom stress.
jonesy

cap
05-02-2002, 07:29 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments, I think it is pretty unanimous, I'll ring dunbier and get myself a motor support bracket :)

Cheers

Cap