PDA

View Full Version : Is aboat suitable for bar crossings?

dnej
05-02-2002, 01:22 PM
Gidday ,
I am a boatie from way back, but have only been around the bay and local rivers.Coming back from Peel is a rough as I have been in, and that can be a horror at times.
I have, as I have said previously. a Stessl 20 year , Named "Fairly Old".Its in good condition ,powered by an equally old (but great) 60 HP Mariner, the last made by Yamaha. Thats not at the prop by the way, so I guess about 55HP in todays rating .Its a cuddy cab.5.3metres long ,with attached transom pods, 80m litres each
I have inbuilt floatation, (styrene) right through out, dual battery system,27 meg radio,GPS &sounder
A mate of mine is always at me to go over the pin bar, or out through the seaway with him. He has a Signature 16 foot with a 60 HP Johnno( bit more modern than mine, and is not a risk taker)
What is the best way to tell if your boat is suitable,and how do you get experience? I have been and had a good look at both areas, and some day you could take a 12 foot tinny out. Any ideas would be appreciated,
Regards David:)

Heath
05-02-2002, 04:23 PM
You would definatly have to pick your days. You see the problem with bar crossings is that once you are commited it is often more dangerous to try & turn around to come back in. Your boat being 5.2m & with a 55hp on the back, leads me to think it is a tad underpowered as far as hole shots are concerned for crossing a bar. A boat draws the least water & travels best when up on the plane. The last thing you want when you pick the lull is for you to will the craft on the plane, by that time the lull could have passed, you are half way accross & a big set decided to stand up in front of you.

You best bet for heading outside would be the Seaway. No problems there except in really big seas.

adrian
06-02-2002, 07:27 AM
hi dnej
I have a 17 ft quinne with a 40 ( I think a little under powered but as a present who cares ) and i have run outside on good days from the seaway and moolooaba . I always check the weather and if in doubt i dont try it . i've tried the south passage bar only when calm many trips called off on getting to the bar to find it a little rough for me if you sit and watch other boats you can see the best way to go but try it only on calm days as it is not worth risking life for a snapper or reef fish
anzac

dnej
06-02-2002, 08:42 AM
Thanks for your replies.The old motor gets the Stessl out of the hole extremely well,especially since I fitted the pods.( Also increased the top speed to 43KPH up by 10 KPH.As I suspected , choosing your days is the common sense approach,that I would have taken.Is it best to go with a couple of boats initially? ( Thats the offer)
Regards David

Lucky_Phill
06-02-2002, 03:55 PM
Hey dnej, The old saying goes, If it's too rough to cross the bsar, it's too rough to fish.

The Seaway is a good bar, by most standards. If you happen to get a string S/East'r and a run out tide. That spells trouble. I always tend to go out on the IN tide and return on the same tide or the next in, if possible.

I have fished quite a distance offshore in my 4.15 tinnie. Like Heath says, on the surface yor rig seems a little underpowered. The best experience you can get is by going out and doing it. Let commonsense prevail.

If you want to fish offshore, have a go at the Sunshine coast reefs. The Bar at Mooloolaba is the best on the East coast, and not a problem. For fun, go out of Curumbin Creek and fish Palm Beach Reef. Last time I went out there, I drove through 8 sets of breaking ( white water ) waves. Bloody shallow, and the only time I have ever put on the life jacket before going out. :o

BY all means, if you get an invite to travell offshore with others, do so. Remember always, log on and off with the relevant authorities.

There is a web site www.coastalwatch.com.au that should give you video footage of the Seaway Bar and other spots and beach conditions.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

webby
06-02-2002, 04:24 PM
Hi Dnje, Heath,anzac and old phill have just abt said it all,
have crossed sth pass and pin many times, and local
conditions do play a part, but its what the wx been like nth
and sth of us that playsthe biggest part, as its the swell
offshore that determines if the bars are passable, and the tides play there part too, top or bottom i find are best if
conditions unsure. as u have the least water flow in and out
when tides are running this helps built the waves formations
your best choice for experience is the seaway as heath
said, it does get big swells but its the most passable on
most days. follow a few other out just for trials,
and always login with the nearest vmr/coastguard when
abt to cross and advise them when your out, and i always
wear lifejackets no matter what the conditions , when cross
ing any bar. there is a seaway camera going 24hrs,
not quite sure of the website off hand. wish they would put
one on nth straddy. and the big rule is once committed
DONT try and turn back. if you have a few spare bucks
Bill Corten (bush & beach) runs bar crossing course
regards

Heath
08-02-2002, 05:38 PM
Hey dnej, # The old saying goes, If it's too rough to cross the bsar, it's too rough to fish.

The Seaway is a good bar, by most standards. #If you happen to get a string S/East'r and a run out tide. #That spells trouble. # I always tend to go out on the IN tide and return on the same tide or the next in, if possible.

I have fished quite a distance offshore in my 4.15 tinnie. #Like Heath says, on the surface yor rig seems a little underpowered. #The best experience you can get is by going out and doing it. #Let commonsense prevail.

If you want to fish offshore, #have a go at the Sunshine coast reefs. #The Bar at Mooloolaba is the best on the East coast, and not a problem. # For fun, go out of Curumbin Creek and fish Palm Beach Reef. #Last time I went out there, I drove through 8 sets of breaking #( white water ) waves. #Bloody shallow, and the only time I have ever put on the life jacket before going out. # :o

BY all means, if you get an invite to travell offshore with others, do so. #Remember always, log on and off with the relevant authorities.

There is a web site www.coastalwatch.com.au that should give you video footage of the Seaway Bar and other spots and beach conditions.

8) # # # # # # # 8) # # # # # # # 8) # # # # # # # # 8) # # # # # # 8) # # # # # # #8)

Currumbin creek is a good bar as far as bars go, because it heads off into a bay on your left, what that does is it means the deep water if not far away, it allows you to outrun the breaking swell if you miss the lull or if the waves are breaking close together (IE Northerly) it was excellent for a long time there, but the big seas of the last fortnight have stuffed it, the entrance is really shallow & you have to head straight out into a sort of lagoon which has deep water & then pick your moment from there. It is all about experience & heading out with other boats is a great way to learn. It won't take long before you can read the bar.
The website mentioned is good, ( WHEN THE CAMERAS ARE WORKING).
Big swells also don't always mean rough seas either. Sometimes a big ground swell is pumping, yet the seas are flat( Last week sometime) good conditions once out. We didn't get any fish but :'(

It is very simple, if you don't feel confident turn around. ;)
No fish is worth putting your rig on it's lid. ;)

dnej
09-02-2002, 12:44 PM
Many thanks everyone,Just got to fix my hatch ,and will go from there
David