PDA

View Full Version : Oil Injection Problems

Jason_L
03-02-2002, 04:29 PM
I was just wondering if anyone had any problems on thier motors with the oil injection.

We owned out boat from new for about 8 months before the oil injection stopped working 80%. to which we received an error message on teh dash.

in the end we ended up getting it disconnected and now put the oil in manually with the fuel.

has anyone else had these problems..????

Though to look at things on the bright side. the engine now starts so much easier than it did before when the oil was injected automatically.

unfortunately i can't remember the brand of the engine.

Lucky_Phill
11-02-2002, 12:13 PM
You are not alone son... :(

I have and been told of so many people disconnecting that dreaded auto feeder. The only sure way is to put the oil in yourself. As you said , never runs better. ???

Kerry
13-02-2002, 03:15 PM
Surely you know what sort of engine you have on the back :o as all oil injections are not the same and shouldn't be all bundled the same.

Cheers, Kerry.

Jason_L
13-02-2002, 07:26 PM
well. i don't see the boat every day. i'm lucky to see it once a month.. it's 200km's away at our beach house and i haven't been up there for ages.
i could ask dad but he's in bed. hehe. i dont' think he'd like me waking him up for that question. hahaha

i'd only be guessing if i said a brand name.

skales
14-02-2002, 06:07 PM
Jason , I bought a second hand boat with a 90 johno , first trip out oil alarm went off .The mechanic I use, disconnected the oil injection , he claimed that even if it was working fine there was no gerantee the fuel to oil mix would be 50 to 1 due to the dieframs streaching further or less as time goes by . So for peace of mind mix the fuel yourself and be sure the motor is getting enough oil to the pots .

Jarrah Jack
12-11-2009, 08:32 AM
Thought I would give this thread a bit of a bump because it has some information but really because Jason's reply to Kerry is a classic. ;D

Noelm
12-11-2009, 09:06 AM
OK, here goes, MOST oil systems are very very reliable, and any mechanic who wants to dsconnect it, will never see me again, some of the very early systems were not so flash, but they were also reliable as long as they were looked after, the later (say 95 onwards) of all brands are great, very little trouble and a very simple system for service, leave it on, get it fixed/updated (if it is indeed really faulty), your motor, your wallet and the environment will love you for it.

Noelm
12-11-2009, 09:09 AM
OH, I forgot, if the oil system makes it hard to start it must be a real funny motor you have, the self mixer has half of f*&)K all to do with the motor actually starting! I would be thinking the inept mechanic that disconnected it for you, probably fixed (somehow) the fuel pump/line/carbies/choke while he was stuffing about with it

Spaniard_King
12-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Noel,

Don't think Jason visits this site much any more :)

Robbo76
12-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Gees, 02. Bit long in the tooth eh, Just noticed. Oh, Jarrah resurrected it.:)

Noelm
12-11-2009, 11:52 AM
yep, saw all that, but I just put my bit in, just in case some else has a look.

Roughasguts
12-11-2009, 01:03 PM
I have had no problem with any of my oil injection systems.

But if you like to be sure ! mark the oil bottle every time you go out! then mark it again when you get back. If the motor stops smoking ! and you stop using oil !then your in trouble, Hopfully the alarm goes off first.

If it does! wich it might ! then carry a spare 1 litre bottle of oil in the boat, stick that in whats left in your fuel tank, if it's 50 litres then your set with a fuel oil ratio of 50:1.

Drain the fuel water seperator, after sticking the oil in !! prime the fresh stuff through. Then do a couple of stop starts with boat to slosh the oil mix in.

No trouble at all and you stil have a good motor that hasn't run dry of oil.

Cheers.

dreemon
12-11-2009, 02:07 PM
RAG'S You said that in a post way back and I have been using your great advise, :D

I do have an issue with my oil injection , well not the injection but I have cleaned the carbs and fuel tanks and it runs great (90 yam) but then it starts flooding a carb, I can pull the air cover off and prime the bulb and see fuel pissin out of one of the carbs,

what I have been doing is remove the drain bolt and flush the carb with the primer cause I find it easier than pulling a carb off , but in the needle and seat I have found a bit of black something, and seeing that the "bit" in the seat area was bigger than what can fit through the filter, it's comming from someware else.

So I'm thinking that because there is no oil filter could it be crud in the oil tank and that is getting into the needle and seat and causing it to flood? or does'nt the curcuit in the carb work that way,?

I'll pull the oil tank off and poor the oil through a filter and give tha tank a good clean and replace it, I just don't know where else the crud would be coming from? But will be keeping the oil injection.

anyone else had clean there oil tank ? thanks

Roughasguts
12-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Hi dreemon thanks for the feed back! nice to know I am of some use.

Mate the oil bottle can build up crud right down the bottom just where the outlet pipe is. (just as you say stringy oily stuff) I recomend pulling the Oil bottle off, plug the oil line that you took off with a golf tee (so no air gets in) . And wash the bottle out with petrol! let it dry or dry off with a air hose re- fit and fill with new oil, and you should be right to go.

Now with the sticky needle and seat ! pull the rubber fuel line off and spray carby cleaner in the line After you have drained the fuel bowl ! hopfully that will clear the sticky oily crud. Then flush as you normally do with the primer to get rid of the carby cleaner.

Mate if you then prime it and that carb floods guess what!!
Pull it off the manifold and clear the needle and seat or get a new set.

Sorry there no easier way.

But cleaning a carby is not hard scrapping off the old gasketts is the hardest part.

When you pull the carb off and you have taken the fuel bowl off! blow in to the fuel line with (with a spare off cut hose) your mouth if you can do it with the fuel float in the up position (lift it up gently with your finger) then you have to
clean or replace the needle and seat.

Mate it's easy I did my first when I was 10 years old.

Cheers.

To make a gaskett go to super cheap get some gaskett paper and some bearing blue. Smear the bearing blue on the face that needs a gaskett ! then push some gaskett paper on the blue! Easy Huh then cut out the paper with a pair of nail scissors, a razor blade , and a small hole punch to make the bolt holes.

You end up with a perfect gaskett.

All that is providing oil goes to your carbys first and gets mixed in with the fuel! On My Suzuki the oil goes straight to the crank ! so I would not have that issue. Best to do a bit of search and explore to see where your oil lines go when they leave the oil tank and pump.

Have Fun.

Malcolm W
13-11-2009, 09:47 AM
I had 5 years boating with an oil injeted yamaha 130 and now the past 3 years with a CV pre mix 115 yamaha (2003 model came with the boat). Both motors are pretty much the same and appear to run the same, apart from the 115 being smokier at start (and mixing is a pain).

The 115 I mix at 50.1 and with both motors I travel 100+ km round trip @ approx 4000 rpm straight to the fishing grounds.

Given that they are doing similar revs I thought the oil usage would be close to the same (dont do low rev trolling). But the 130 used heaps less per km travelled. the oil injetion must lean off a lot more through the rev range than I thought.

I have even thought of leaning my 115 to say 60.1 as I dont go much over 4000 rpm. Is there any info on oil injection and roughly where in the rev range the full amount of oil (50.1) is injected?

Noelm
13-11-2009, 10:00 AM
50:1 is delivered at max RPM with an "auto mixer" newer systems lean it out to way less than 100:1 at low speed

Malcolm W
13-11-2009, 10:16 AM
50:1 is delivered at max RPM with an "auto mixer" newer systems lean it out to way less than 100:1 at low speed

Given that perhaps I should lean it up a bit.

dreemon
13-11-2009, 10:16 AM
RAG's just had a good look and the oil is delivered to the intake manifold and not the carbs, so it must dribble out then get mixed with fuel going through the reed valves then into the crank so theres no way it can foul the needle and seat so it's prob the same as your suzy,

I did have all the carbs off just before we went for our 4 day holiday, and gave them all a really good clean, most of the crud was in the bottom bowl, some in the mid and clean on the top bowl, I used compressed air when I cleaned them.

so now I have pulled the oil tank out to give it a sound cleaning and there is some goo inside, it did run great all day yesterday so maybe (hopefully) all junk has passed through , the only other thing I can think of if it's the black carb hose lines getting old ? , thanks for all your info and tips 8-)

STUIE63
13-11-2009, 10:22 AM
[quote=dreemon;1096483 the only other thing I can think of if it's the black carb hose lines getting old ? , thanks for all your info and tips 8-)[/quote]

that was my first thought
Stuie

Roughasguts
13-11-2009, 11:10 AM
RAG's just had a good look and the oil is delivered to the intake manifold and not the carbs, so it must dribble out then get mixed with fuel going through the reed valves then into the crank so theres no way it can foul the needle and seat so it's prob the same as your suzy,

I did have all the carbs off just before we went for our 4 day holiday, and gave them all a really good clean, most of the crud was in the bottom bowl, some in the mid and clean on the top bowl, I used compressed air when I cleaned them.

so now I have pulled the oil tank out to give it a sound cleaning and there is some goo inside, it did run great all day yesterday so maybe (hopefully) all junk has passed through , the only other thing I can think of if it's the black carb hose lines getting old ? , thanks for all your info and tips 8-)

Good thinking That about the petrol hose line going soft!

Think your on to it.
Cheers