PDA

View Full Version : Which Boat?

Lizard
30-12-2001, 01:44 PM
I am allowed to buy myself a boat #;D, my wive said so.
I am looking at a Quintrex 4.35 Top Ender with a Yamaha 40 or a Stessl 4.35 Angler with a Honda 40.
This will be my first boat, #any opinions on which would be the one to go for. ???

The_Walrus
30-12-2001, 05:14 PM
Have you looked at the SeaJay range of boats?

Strongly built, wide for their size and good freeboard.

Luc

mossy43
30-12-2001, 06:23 PM
Lizard I am also looking for a new boat and from the advice I have been given and the countless hours of looking at this boat and that boat I agree the Sea Jay is the boat to go for. They are a very stable and safe boat. I had the opportunity to go for a run up along Fraser Island a week ago in a 4.1 magnum with a 30hp Yamaha on the back and what a great boat. Without a word of a lie the wind swung around to the north west at about 15 knots and if anybody knows the area they will tell you Wathumba Creek is no place to be in a 15 knot north wester. #:-[ There were only two of us in the boat and we had a fantastic trip home. It would have to be the driest boat I have been in and it was a boat you felt comfortable as well as feeling safe in. 10 out of 10 in my books. #;D

krazyfisher
31-12-2001, 02:45 AM
Lizard
The one thing that I do know about boats is that the right boat is different for each person. After owning a 12ft stessel is was going to update to a 435 or 4.4 stessel I think they are good boats. I was than convinced by a friend to go for a test ride in a 435 hornet and that was that I bought one now it is the most stable boat I have been in seems to be a dry boat with a soft ride and can plane at a slow speed, but I dont think it is the right boat for everyone. A mate of mine has a 4.1 seajay and he thinks his is the best boat in the world. All I can say is that you will know the right boat when you find it. As for motors I have a tohatsu and have not had a problem with it or the one before it. If I did not care about money it would have a honda on it. Get all of the dealers to take you for a test ride you will know which one to buy. Hope I've helped

Katrina
31-12-2001, 03:21 AM
;) Have to admit our old Stessl is a very tough, stable, dry boat. It just lacks storage, which is something we have to work on!!!

Lizard
31-12-2001, 06:46 PM
Thanks to all for the response.
To The_Walrus and mossy43, I have now had a look at the Sea Jay Escape on the internet and am keen to have a look at one at the dealers. I will have to see if I can try them all through the dealers and make a decision then.
Regards.

Jim_Linden
01-01-2002, 12:48 PM
Lizard,

No question the Sea-Jay is a well built boat. Had never seen or heard of them before leaving NSW to move up here a while back, but have been very impressed with what I've seen since. I know that Brett Finger and Fitzy, two guys who really give a boat a good workout, wouldn't part with theirs for quids.
Just to confuse matters, and since you really should give yourself as many options as possible (hey, that's what being a consumer is all about) have a look at the Horizon range.
I bought a Horizon 3.66 V-nose last year at the Newcastle Boat Show - I was in the market for a new tinny for both home work and roof-topping. I had narrowed it down to either a Stessl Edgetracker or one of the Quinnies. Then I saw the Horizon at the show, and all other bets were off. Great boat, beautifully built, very fisho-friendly configuration. Didn't look much at its bigger cousins, but I know there is quite a range of them - what I saw of the ones on display at Newcastle, they were extremely well built, and designed very much with fishing in mind.
By the way, at the same show, I had been looking at buying either a 15hp Johno or Yammie to go with the new tinnie - ended up coming out with an 18hp Tohatsu. A real punt for me - I had barely heard of them before that . But given the chance to compare all three virtually side-by-side at the show, the Tohatsu came up trumps in just about all areas. A decision I have not regretted.
Have fun.
Cheers
Jim Linden

adrian
03-01-2002, 06:00 AM
have a good look at all the different types of tinnies around , get info on hull types thickness etc.etc . and by all means get to test drive as many of the different types as you can . as it's easy to say this one is better because of some feature . think of where you are fishing bay ,river or dam and the type of conditions you might face in the area of your choice . and remember if your not compeletly happy with one thing about the boat in question then find another boat as you don't want to have a boat that doesn't do what you want it to do .
anzac

brianp
31-01-2002, 11:49 AM
krazyfisher and others

I am also looking for a boat, for use in the Kimberley where I currently live, but also to use down south when I move back there. I have been tossing up between the Quintrex 4.35 Top Ender (v-hull) and Hornet Trophy and would like any advice anyone has on the rough water performance of the Hornet and the stability (particularly when stopped) of the Top Ender.

Krazyfisher - how have you found the Hornet in the rough?

krazyfisher
31-01-2002, 02:53 PM
Brian
I have left a post for you but again I love my hornet if you haven't been for a ride in one it is a must you will than see what I mean but if I was going to be in big seas all the time I would get a 17-19ft glassy please feel free to email me with any question I can help with happy to chat
have fun

DR
19-02-2002, 05:02 AM
Lizard,
My wife let me buy a new boat too. After much research ended up with 4.3 WEBSTER TWINFISHER + 40HP MERC. Worth having a look at, I am extremely happy, wouldn't swap for anything.
regards
DR.