PDA

View Full Version : 15 year old buying a boat

Fisherman02
28-01-2002, 03:49 PM
Hey guys i'm looking to buy a boat while chatting in the live chat room to some guys will said canoes are better then tinnys what do ya guys reckon I should buy if it is mostly for brisbane river fishing and sea fishing and maybe the odd river?
I need one that will not cost much
cheers jack

doorstop
29-01-2002, 01:25 PM
Hi Jack,
I hope you don't think this is a silly suggestion, but, have you considered building a wooden boat of your own? There are designs which are easy to find which are not dear to build, not difficult to build and would probably do the job admirably ..... and the added bonus is that when people ask where you got it you can say "I built it".

Fisherman02
29-01-2002, 05:03 PM
thanks no I dont think that is stupid! so does it come in like a kit like a house when ur building your own house? How much would ya say coz in the trading post I see boats for less then 200 so if it is anymore then that then ill just buy a boat!
cheers jack

doorstop
29-01-2002, 06:01 PM
How much to build a boat??? Difficult mate, depends on what you want, but you mention sea fishing so I assume you are going to need something of reasonable size, at least 12ft I would think, a reliable motor etc...... I can't see you getting that for $200 out of the trading post. Maybe I'm getting to be a bit old on it but I think safety comes first and that doesn't come cheaply Im afraid. Perhaps someone in your area can be of more help, someone that knows your local conditions and markets, good luck.

Fisherman02
29-01-2002, 07:42 PM
hey thanks man
say where you based? Maybe we can throw a few lines together whadya say?

Luke
30-01-2002, 03:51 AM
Gday Jack,
I don't know what I'd choose over a tinny or a canoe. That is your choice but take into account how far you are from the water. If you are a fair distance and can't get it car topped or towed down there a lightweight canoe would be what you would want. Maybe a light plastic one could be an option??
Cheers Luke

Randall
30-01-2002, 05:38 AM
Jack, I have an old Mercury 2.hp sitting in the garage that I dont use anymore.
It needs some work and a tune-up, but is basically OK.

It would be good to hang off the end of a canoe or real small tinny.

Its yours if you want it.

Email me if your interested and I`ll drop it off.

Regards, Randall.

Fisherman02
30-01-2002, 04:23 PM
hey randall thanks Umm how much do ya want for the engine? Luke thanks maybe plastic eh? I was thinking of alloy coz it is stronger and safer. Could ya give me some prices?

Luke
31-01-2002, 02:46 AM
Hey Jack,
ask Brian to buy a trading post and have a check through that in the boat section. The plastic ones would be quite strong I'd think and you can get a new price from maybe Goodtime or you could pick up a second hand one at a good price for plastic,fibreglass,wood or aluminium.
Cheers Luke

Randall
31-01-2002, 03:50 AM
Jack....as I said , it`s yours if you want it. I dont want any money.
Let me know if you want it. If not, it will go into the Junior anglers fishing gear bank.

Regards, Randall.

doorstop
31-01-2002, 12:14 PM
Hey Jack,
That's a "B" good offer from Randall who is obviously a "B" good bloke...... TAKE IT!!!!

Fisherman02
31-01-2002, 03:29 PM
Hey randall
thanks i'll take the motor if you really don't mind. But I really would like to somehow pay you back sometime what bout going fishing somewhere?

Randall
31-01-2002, 04:53 PM
Hey Jack, is your company so good that you want to pay me back by gracing me with your precence? ;-)

Dont worry mate, I understand where your coming from!!
No need to pay me back Jack, its my pleasure.

I`d be happy to take you out in the boat one day soon. I`m pretty much booked out for a little while, but I WILL get back to you. I will try very hard to get around with the Merc either this week or the weekend.

Regards, Randall.
BTW....You will find whenever we talk about the Brissy river on this forum, we are generally refering to the upper reaches. Have a look in the street directory for Colleges Crossing. There`s a clue for ya ;-)

Fisherman02
19-02-2002, 03:48 PM
thanks randall
you'll have to come out with me sometime when I get a tinnie and try out this motor!!

Fisherman02
20-02-2002, 03:54 PM
thank you to everyone who has replyed to this post:)