PDA

View Full Version : Bow mounted electric motors

Finny
14-02-2002, 05:54 PM
Hi all,

I have a 4.25 Shadow Mirage Ally Craft with a 40Hp Yami 2 stroke, tiller steer. I am considering the possibility of a Bow mounted electric motor with foot controls. I haven't looked at all yet but would like a starting point. I would be using it for trolling, drifting positioning and of course manouvering and holding position around tight areas such as oyster leases.

So any input re cost and functionality would be great.

Thanks in advance

Finny

Jack_Lives_Here
15-02-2002, 03:15 AM
Finney,

I've got one of the ever reliable Minn Kota's on the front of my rig. It's the RT55 with Auto Pilot. I went to the 55lb thrust becuase it was still a 12volt unit and it has plenty of grunt when the wind and tide are working against you. It's now on my 455 Hornet and drags it along fine. I saw one the other day at Northside Marine for $1750 which is a bloody good price.

I use it for all those things you mention. The auto pilot is great when moving along parralel to a bank - set and forget.
The foot controls take a bit of getting used to, so would suggest you go somewhere in the open to get used to it.

All the best
Jack

Finny
15-02-2002, 10:39 AM
Been doing some more research. I will be using the motor for 99% saltwater work. I have been looking on the Minn-Kota site and there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of difference between the saltwater and other elec trolling models apart from the COST. So the question is would a non salt model do the job if I looked after it?

Thanks

Craig

Jack_Lives_Here
15-02-2002, 10:57 AM
Yeh, same questions raised by myself when it came time to outlay the bucks. The dealer told me the saltwater models have a higher corrosion resistance on the circuits than the other models.
Saying that though, I had a 32lb transom mounted standard model before this and it's still going strong 4 years down the track.
I outlayed the extra $$$ because it's an expensive item and if it did fail it would be covered by the warranty.

All the best
Jack

Simon
15-02-2002, 11:06 AM
I would assume that the models designed for fresh wouldn't be sealed as well as the salt models.
I've done and so far gotten away with it with a standard 30pbl transom mount but that doesn't get the spray facter and has less components to it. I also use a truck load of lanolin spray to keep the water off/out of it.
I pick up a RT55 as mention at the last Brissy boat show for $1400 so was rapped with the price. Personaaly I would go with a salt water model.

Cheers

Simon

Smithy
21-02-2002, 05:50 PM
Check out the Motorguide range. They are the biggest selling brand in the States. Motorguides are now being distributed by Merc/Mariner dealers.