PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!  A desperate boater about to Hari-Kari!!!

Randall
26-02-2002, 01:38 PM
Ok guys and girls, I have a problem that I`m throwing out to the gurus on Ausfish.

I have a 35 Evinrude Elan 2 banger that has a frustrating problem.

I originally had a CD unit shit itself and replaced this to find that although the boat now worked on 3 cylinders rather than 2, it would not rev out past 4000rpm.

OK, the O/B mechanic said it must be the timing sensor and he replaced this. Still would not rev out past 4000.

Then the O/B mechanic said only one thing left that it could be...the Stator under the flywheel. Replaced that and still only 4000rpm!!! AARRRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Since then, I have checked fuel lines....OK. Adjusted cables to achieve Wide Open Throttle....OK. Check numerous times for any resident water in the hull....OK. Checked for any lifting fibreglass on the bottom of the hull....OK.

Got desperate and checked exhaust ports for carbon....OK. Replaced gearbox oil...mainly because I could ;-)

I even rewired the whole boat electrical system in the event I may do something to make the problem go away. Not so!!

I am desperate. Anyone who can help me with other ideas would be seen as my personal saviour and be worthy of large amounts of respective worship that this title demands!! ;-)

Regards, Randall.

doorstop
26-02-2002, 06:15 PM
Sounds to me like some seriously demented individual has swapped your prop for something a bit "higher geared"..... Have you got any mates who are depp into practical jokes? ;)

Katrina
26-02-2002, 06:20 PM
:o Bit of a mean, nasty and expensive practical joke!

Tony_SA
26-02-2002, 06:23 PM
G'day Randall
I can symapthise entirely, although our problem was with a 90HP mercury. We ended up with a new stator even though the symptoms pointed to fuel starvation, but to your problem.
I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination and you've probably checked these yourself but:
Is the rev counter/ tacho accurate
What were max revs before the CD Unit changeover ?
If they were around 5,500 (or whatever wot is) then its back to the drawing board, but I'd be inclined to email OMC (oops, are they back in existence, you could try emailing Bombadier in the US) for their suggestions.
If they were <4,000 then your prop setup might need looking at. Have you proved you can get stated WOT revs using current setup ?

Phone round different service shops for their input.

Didn't help much did I. ???

perhaps you'll get better advice soon.

Good luck - Tony

dnej
27-02-2002, 11:46 AM
Spoke to a client of mine some time ago about similar problem. Turned out to be a blown fuse of all things.Would let him start,but couldnt get the revs he wanted.Replaced the fuse and away she went. Happened to his son also on a separate occasion.

Worth a thought anyway.He had a Mercury made,Mariner
Regards David

Randall
27-02-2002, 03:07 PM
Dnej, I`ll check it out, Thanks.
Regards, Randall.

Randall
27-02-2002, 03:10 PM
Tony_SA, yeah mate, I used to get 6000 rpm out of it before. Same prop.

Still, thanks for trying mate. Much appreciated.
I think I may in fact email OMC.

Regards, Randall.

Lucky_Phill
27-02-2002, 03:49 PM
Hey Randall, have you tried adjusting the throttlebody exumanator to 3/4 pulse-a-ton, and then dioframgate the whatitjigger and spatoramit to the idojunkpileit. And if that doesn't work , reverbrate the electrogizmotronic pooftanamates. When that fails, chat to the bank manager, and invest in a good old ( brand New ) 4 banger Honda.

cheers ;D ;D ;D ;D ??? ??? ;D

Cremated_Reddog
27-02-2002, 04:03 PM
LMFAO ;D

only you'd come up with something like that Phill...

Randall will check with a mate of mine down here tommorrow for yuh.. he's the man

webby
27-02-2002, 05:22 PM
;D Randal, had similiar probs with my Yammie, two faults
1. would be cruise along , when overheating buzzer would
go off and the motor shuts down to 2000rpm, let her cool
and away we go agin only for buzzer to go off again
turned out to be sensor unit on the heads, were faulty
got that fixed under warrenty
2. new sensors and couldnt obtain high revs, back ontrailer
and to mech', turned out the fuses were the wrong size to
allow enough ZZZZZZZ current thru for fuel sensor units
these were changed when i had the sender unit on the head
replaced, they put wrong fuses in. would hate to be offshore
and have drama with these new motor, they have sensor
unit governing everything. not sure abt evinrudes, wether
they have the same set up.
Ddont suppose anything i said will help ah well
just get fitzy to tow you around ;D

Cremated_Reddog
28-02-2002, 05:13 AM
Randall, spoke to my mate he said to get tech to put peak voltage meter on it, that will tell you what's happening with most of what you have changed...
could be firing under load or stator not putting out enough amps/volts.he also said without looking at it would be hard to do just a process of elimination....

sorry he didn't give exact answer
Reddog

Sniper
06-03-2002, 08:16 AM
Randall,
I'm involved with a local surf club on the sunshine coast. Was involved with the IRB (rubber duckies) and had similar problem with a few yamahas. The fault was the rev pack, replaced that and still did it. The new pack was also faulty so it may be worth checking out the new parts yo got too.
Nothing more frustrating than tracking down a fault.
Good luck
Bill

Randall
07-03-2002, 11:56 AM
Guy, thanks heaps for all the ideas. As it turns out, I have tracked down the problem!!!

All the outboard gurus who worked on the thing all missed the obvious!!

Bloody middle cylider coil!!! It was breaking down under load!!!

Did a continuity test on it and sure enough, it was reading low ohms!!! Lower than the other 2 pots!!

Got a new coil, cost $40, and am down the river this arvo to put it to the acid test.

Cant believe I`ve just spent over a grand replacing all the real expensive parts just to find that $40 would have fixed it!!!!!

Regards, Randall.

Luke
07-03-2002, 02:11 PM
Hey Randall,
might be time to get yourself some new outboard gurus at that cost :o
Cheers Luke