PDA

View Full Version : Motor choice help guys

squire
08-03-2002, 10:49 AM
:'(was wondering if someone could help me with a decision we arewishing to putt a 90 HP on a 17ft half cab but I am Undecided whether to go for the mercury 90Hp or the Evinrude or Johnston V4 hp any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks squire? ::)

adrian
08-03-2002, 03:23 PM
hi
you have to look at weather or not the hull can take the hp output it looks like you have . brand names are much the same ( so to speak not trying to offend the diehards who swear by their brands ) i would be looking at the weight of the outboard and seeing which one is the lightist and the most cheapest to run . have you had a think about 4 stroke motors . it's hard to say go with this one or that one as only you know what type of work the motor will be doing take your time and you will make the right choice .
anzac

Lucky_Phill
08-03-2002, 04:26 PM
This question gets asked the most on this site. It really boils down to your budget, uses, size of boat.

If you are going new, then the only options are injected 2 stroke or 4 stroke. 90hp of either will run around the $10,000. :o

Pros and cons are numerous. But , do a LOT of homework. IE:- am I trolling a lot, amd I waterskiing a lot, do I cross bars often, do I travell great distances to fish, etc etc

Family boat, you need quietness = 4 stroke

Fishing boat for the boys = 2 stroke

running costs are less for a 4 than the 2, then the weight comes into it, but in the research I've done, those extra few kilos aren't gonna make that much difference with the 4.

I had a mariner 90 on a 17ft Savage and the thing was a rocket. Plenty of grunt for skiing, but a thirsty bugga. But that was the old style 2 stroke. I also had a 140 johno ( 80 model, really 120hp ) on a 17 & 1/2 Nova. Both boats didn't notice the weight, and bar crossing were a breeze with the responsivness.

Choose a motor like you'd choose a woman, something that is cheap to run, won't give you trouble and gets you outta the shit if needs be ;D

squire
09-03-2002, 05:37 AM
Thanks phill I like your choice of words! and I chose my wife well so I'll guess I should get it right then because she is an absolute gem.

dnej
09-03-2002, 10:10 AM
Have a good look at the Yamaha range,You will be pleasantly surprised.Yamaha used to make Mariner, and I have one of the last made by them at that time. (1980) Its a great motor .
I compared the new Yamaha models to my old Mariner motor, and while there are refinements,much remains the same.
Personally ,I would steer away from Johno range.
Hope this helps
Regards David

Lucky_Phill
09-03-2002, 01:35 PM
Well Squire, you'll have to let me know where you got your model ( wife ) as mine is due to be traded in. ::)

takes a lot of paint to make it look good, is a bit loud, hard to start, isn't cost effective, never ready when I am and is about as reliable as a 2 bob watch. ;D

squire
12-03-2002, 04:39 AM
;)Well Lucky Phill I actually meet her one morning when I saw her Running for her bus and her Bus kept going. So being the gentleman that I am I offered her a lift and 9 years later were still together. So hang out at the local bus shelter you'll be suprised who you meet. hehehehehehe :)