PDA

View Full Version : Boat Speeds

krazyfisher
26-03-2002, 04:04 PM
just would like to know what the average speed of boats are would like to know if mine is fast , slow, or normal 435 hornet with 40hp does 55kpmish with an avarage load what does everyone else boat do?

adrian
27-03-2002, 02:47 PM
hi krazy
sounds good to me. I've a 4.75 mtr bay hunter with a 40 hp (under powered i know but as a present it will do ) and it tops out at about 45kph on the gps but i hardly use the speed too much go go gas is used . the weight is a factor mine is about750 kgs so the speed i get is about it .

anzac

Lucky_Phill
27-03-2002, 04:13 PM
Well, speed in a boat is governed by a couple of things. mainly the prop. If you have a tacho on the boat, and you know that your engine runs to 6000rpm ( say ), take the boat to flat water, push the thgrottle all the way forward. If the boat is going flat out and the Tacho says 6000rpm, your prop is right on the money. If you need speed pitch the prop up, if you need holeshot, go down. I'd say your prop is right, 55 in a 4.35 is hooting. What does my 4.15 stessl with the 40 yammie do ? Do Do's in my pants. :o

Kerry
29-03-2002, 05:06 PM
I say you prop to achieve max WOT spec (plus a little) and things like speed, hole shots don't/shouldn't even rate a mention as far as engine life/stress is concerned.

Cheers, Kerry.

Finny
30-03-2002, 07:25 AM
Hey Lucky Phill,

I have a 4.25 Ally Craft Shadow Mirage with a 40 Yammie 2 banger. Mine flies as well, just wondering does yours have the standard "out of the box" prop?

I have no idea how hard mine is revving as mine is tiller with hydro tilt - none of that fancy stuff yet!!! Doesn't sound like it is over revving when giving it a belly full, seems to max out nicely just going by the sound of it.

Regards
Finny

Sniper
30-03-2002, 01:23 PM
Just like to say that I too have a Hornet in the Trophy fitout with a Mercury 40hp 4 stroke on the back, rear tiller, and top speeeed so far is 38.9knots so what ever that is in mhp or kph. thats with a prop staight out of the box and nothing done to the motor. To quick sometimes. Make the eyes water though :'(
Bill http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm35.gif