PDA

View Full Version : Boat Trailer (Galvanised Springs)?

shawn
21-03-2002, 03:01 PM
Just wondering what everybodies thoughts were on galvanised springs for boat trailers.I had a set a few years ago, but one snaped.I have been told that the galvanising process is a lot cooler now, so they are not so brittle. Most of the trailer manufactures use galvanised springs now,so they must be better than they were. # # # #

Also does anybody know anything about the single leaf springs that take the place of 3 or 4 leaf springs also galvanised.

Any thoughts ? # # # # Shawn ???

skales
21-03-2002, 05:35 PM
Yeh Shawn have had them on the previous boat and found to be just as good as leaf springs , best part it takes out the rust problem that occurs in between the leafs , I will be going back to them if and when the spring go on this new boat trailor cheers Bruce

shawn
22-03-2002, 03:54 PM
Thanks Bruce.......Do you know how long they have been around ? They look like they would be a lot more practial than normal leaf springs.How were they on rough roads and
tracks, and were yours galvanised ?

# #cheers....Shawn ::)

skales
22-03-2002, 07:05 PM
hi Shawn , I put the spring on the other trailor about 4 years ago, they weren't galvanised but I didn't see that as a problem being one solid piece of steel , more consurned with the shackle brackets being galvanised on the trailor as the spring is only fixed at the front and the back slides up and down within the shackle bracket which is fixed to the trailor As for them being used for rough roads or off road use they are rated from 250 kg up, per spring I did take them down some rough tracks and found them to be ok. One other thing they are easy to fit. cheers Bruce

Kerry
24-03-2002, 03:16 PM
Ever thought of going to torsion suspension and simply giving all springs away ???

Cheers, Kerry.

shawn
24-03-2002, 05:12 PM
G'day Kerry

What exactly is " torsion suspension"?
And where do I see it?

Cheers....Shawn ???

Kerry
24-03-2002, 05:47 PM
Torsion suspensions, similar to Alko

http://www.americanarv.com/alko.html

Cheers, Kerry.

Brian
25-03-2002, 04:22 PM
Interesting set up indeed kerry

Brian

shawn
25-03-2002, 05:15 PM
Kerry ,
The torsion suspension looks good, but I will check out the cost.Might be an overkill for a 14 foot tinnie.

Bruce,
The single leaf springs might be the way to go. I will do some more homework and let you know what I decide.

Thanks....Shawn ;)

Heath
25-03-2002, 06:33 PM
We have had the parabola single springs on our trailer for about 2 years now. No problem with them at all. We decided to go with the single parabola spring because the salt water has no where to hide, as it does on leaf springs weather they are galvanised or not. We undercoated the spring several times in rust protector, then gave it several coats of paint & then finally we covered the spring in a smear of grease. This has kept the spring & axel in excellent condition. There is no sign of rust at all. We also give the tailer a good lashing of fresh water after every trip aswell.

dnej
26-03-2002, 06:19 AM
Just remember,break the single leaf,and thats the end of your journey. Break a leaf in a multy leaf, and you still have support .I have a single leaf set up on my Stessl trailer. So far so good , but really did not thing about "what If".
David

Smithy
26-03-2002, 05:24 PM
You've been on "Timewaster", well that boat used to live on the Redco single axle trailer I now have under "Blacksmith". It has a couple of little cracks on the main frame but the galvanised springs have stood the test of time. It is a pretty old trailer and would have been one of the first batch of trailers with galvanised springs and axles. They are about 5-6 leaf. 3-4 should suit "Sh##%F&*^!$1".

Broken springs are just bad luck. "Katana" has done about 9 trips into Middle Ck with double leaf slippers without a problem. I always carry a spare when I go in there and I have sold 2 in there to blokes with broken springs. All of that is pure luck - whether good or bad. You were just unlucky when yours broke.

Go the galvanised springs and don't worry.

shawn
26-03-2002, 06:05 PM
G'day David,
I had multi leaf springs on my trailer when the spring broke.
They were 3 leaf springs, and the largest spring broke so there was nothing supporting the axel.The wheel went straight back and jamed into the mud guard, making a hell of a lot of noise and smoke.Luckly we were about 10 km from home and able to bodge it up,a block of wood and the tie down straps ,pulling each way.We were lucky it happened there because we were on our way home from Caina Dam
(500 km) .So as I see it , its the luck of the draw as to which leaf breaks.
cheers....Shawn

shawn
26-03-2002, 06:22 PM
G'day Rob,
I am going to go for galvanised springs again.Just trying to work out which ones to go for,the Parabola springs are looking pretty good.
What's ," sh##%f&*^!$1" stand for? ;D

see ya......Shawn

Volvo
29-03-2002, 11:12 AM
Ever thought of going to torsion suspension and simply giving all springs away #???

Cheers, Kerry.

Kerry are they available this neck of the woods ?? and where ??.
Cheers

aussiebasser
29-03-2002, 04:09 PM
Hi yall,
The parabolic single leaf springs are great, I had them on my last boat, and will have them on this one soon. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm21.gif I got mine direct from Mullins Wheels who are at Acacia Ridge. Phone No. 32778677

Kerry
29-03-2002, 05:03 PM
Kerry are they available this neck of the woods ?? and where ??.
Cheers

Volvo, as far as I know they come out of Brisbane (Alko Suspension ?). My pair are 12 years old and so far they haven't done anything wrong.

Cheers, Kerry.

Luke
29-03-2002, 06:39 PM
I was under the impression that you don't grease springs and they are actually better with a layer of rust on them. Correct me if I'm misinformed is this true or false? ???
Cheers Luke

Kerry
30-03-2002, 06:13 AM
Luke, springs are still steel, one unattended layer of rust won't stop at that.

Cheers, Kerry.

Luke
30-03-2002, 02:29 PM
Kerry,
I understand that but what I'm asking is 1. are you supposed to grease springs(I was under the impression you don't as grease or oil reduce the friction and reduce the damping effect between the spring leaves) and 2. Maybe not so much rust as to speak but not touching them at all. Wouldn't that be better than greasing/oiling as it would have improved friction and damping without the lube. Might sound stupid and maybe it is but I'm just wondering the truth to these two things.
Cheers Luke

Kerry
30-03-2002, 02:55 PM
Luke, maybe one of those catch22 situations. Might be better for "springing" if not "rust treated" but not much good in the longer term if not ???

I suppose not having had springs to worry about for so many years might be a bonus but if I did I think I wouldn't grease them (as such) but at least coat them with something. There's a few rust prevention solutions/sprays that come to mind.

Cheers, Kerry.