PDA

View Full Version : Broken Tinny

dazza
01-04-2002, 03:51 AM
Just had 2 small splits welded up in the tinny. They were just beside the front end of the skids. Exactly the same on both sides. I have raised the centre rollers to take a bit of the weight off of the skids.
I hear it is a common problem. Any ideas on how to stop it from happening again?
I don't use it as a trailer when we go away, although it has been towed over some pretty ordinary dirt roads ::) ::)
Cheers
Dazza

Lucky_Phill
01-04-2002, 04:08 AM
Hey Daz, the majority of the weight should be taken by the centre rollers / Keel. The skids are only there as a guide for launching and retrieving and to keep the tinnie balanced while on the trailer. There is a weight distribution ratio, but I can't put my finger on it just yet.

Here's my tip, drop the skids down so they don't touch the boat. Now, tighten the bolts so that using a hammer they go up being tapped. Now when the skid touchs the boat, evenly front to rear, give it one more little tap and tighten. Do the same to the other side.

I have a tie down strap at the rear of my tiinie that puts downward pressure about 30 cms either side of the centre of the boat. Unlike the straps that go right over the boat and put pressure on the gunwhale, therefore putting presure on the outside areas of the boat.

Also, try to get the pressure evenly from front to rear on the rollers. Sounds like you might have to start from scratch.

Have a good day.

dazza
05-04-2002, 02:16 PM
Hi Phil,
Thanks for the tips mate. Sunday was spent tinkering with the trailer. Fingers crossed, problem fixed :-/ :-/
I think alot of my problems are due to the weight of the motor on the back. The Honda weighs about 90kg or so. Do they make trailers, taking into account heavier motors??
I am sure I will have to make a few modifications to the trailer, but I guess time will tell.
Cheers
Dazza