PDA

View Full Version : ADVICE NEEDED

squire
04-04-2002, 07:31 AM
Would anybody out there be able to tell me what the difference between the saltwater series of mercury outboards is as compared to their normal range? I can't seem to find out any info anywhere on it.

mick
04-04-2002, 10:37 AM
SQUIRE

I DIDNT EVEN KNOW THERE WAS TWO RANGES, BUT I ASSUME THE DIFFERENCE WOULD BE IN THE CORROSION RESISTANCE OF THE COOLING SYSTEMS.

Kerry
04-04-2002, 04:00 PM
Not entirely sure but over this way they are all "saltwater" versions where as in the states I believe there are some other straight "freshwater" models made for that specific market.

Cheers, Kerry.

Sweetlip
04-04-2002, 05:58 PM
I saw on another website a similar question and the response by a Mercury guy was that "Saltwater" motors are what they call some motors above a certain size.

Back when I was deciding between Mercury and Yamaha, I was asking the same question. I bought a 60HP 4 stroke Mercury three months ago and there was no option of saltwater or other.

Perhaps it is historic as they all need the same after trip flushing etc.

Sweetlip.

Mick_P
04-04-2002, 07:07 PM
I think the Saltwater series start with a 90hp in the carby model and 150hp in the injected model.

Col
05-04-2002, 01:34 PM
Many years ago, Mecury had a reputation for being a fresh water motor (the old blue band). They were manufactured in the US and were designed for fresh water lakes. I'm confident that nowadays, Mercury (or Mariner) motors don't distinguish.

cheers

Col

squire
06-04-2002, 06:57 AM
Thanks for your reply folks have since found out that the saltwater series is built for a higher corrosion factor and they are blue on the cover and marked saltwater and the other is red on the cover just as well I did a bit of research or I would have bought the wrong one.

Mick_P
06-04-2002, 02:05 PM
Squire, I think you will find the information you received is not entirely correct. As far as I know there are no models imported to Aust that are specifically for fresh water. The merc portables ranging from 2.5 - 30 hp with a red band are salt motors, their mid range models from 30-125hp with red band also salt motors. There is a Sea Pro model from 10 -225HP with a blue band aimed at commercial fisherman which has a number of parts bigger and stronger than a standard motors like strengthened gear cases and modified carbies but this has to do with a heavy workload not corrosion protection. Their salt water series which starts at 90HP also has a red band. I dont think you would have bought the wrong motor it just depends on what type of motor best suits you, 2or 4 stroke, electric start, 2 or 3 cylinder. Fresh and salt dont come in to the equation.