PDA

View Full Version : EPIRB batteries

Jeremy
04-04-2002, 07:10 AM
I know this topic has probably been covered before, but can anyone advise me of where to go in Brisbane to replace EPIRB batteries, preferably as cheaply as possible.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Kerry
04-04-2002, 03:35 PM
Depends on what brand of EPIRB as some use freely available off the shelf batteries (still the legality of offical replacement) and others are basically return to manufacturer which appears a fairly (overly) fixed price anyway.

Cheers, Kerry.
#

Jeremy
05-04-2002, 02:50 AM
Can't remember the brand but can give a good description. The orange cylindrical ones about the size of a 1.5 litre softdrink bottle with string coiled oround the bottom. 5 year battery life I think.

Jeremy

Kerry
05-04-2002, 04:01 AM
That's a back to the manufacturer type. Cost is probably going to shock you especially considering what a new one is worth.

Get a price to replace the battery from anywhere that sells them and I would imagine the $$ won't be all that much different between agents.

Cheers, Kerry.

dazza
05-04-2002, 02:26 PM
Hi Jeremy,
One thing to keep in mind is that you are dealing with a vital piece of saftey equipment. Doing it on the "cheap" might be dangerous to you and your crew. Anyone who sells them should be able to get the batteries replaced. Make sure it is by an authorised repairer. I agree with Kerry though, they have us by the short and curley's. It is a piece of equipment that we must have and maintain, but the cost can leave a bit of a sour taste though.
Cheers
dazza

Heath
05-04-2002, 05:59 PM
The cost of replacing the batteries is about half that of a new EPIRB.

As it is the batteries in them have a shelf life of 10years, but for safety sake, they have a 5 year expiry date.......

skales
05-04-2002, 07:09 PM
Hi Jeremy , I had my Epirb run out of date and was given a address to have it re-stamped , batteries checked/changed and serviced for re-use of 5 years . The cost of this is about $140.00 which I found alot cheaped then buying new. It takes about 2 weeks.Take it to GPS Tracking Systems at 7 Forge Close Sumner Park they will look after you . A new EPIRB frequancy will be used around 2006 and our EPIRB's will no longer work so we will be up for a new one then . Cheers Bruce

Jeremy
06-04-2002, 02:45 AM
Thanks for the information everyone. I will make some calls to retailers and the GPS tracking systems place and get some quotes.

Jeremy

Kerry
06-04-2002, 03:22 AM
Things will want to change when the 121.5 system is terminated and everybody will be required to go to 406mhz Epirbs, which is by far and far the best system anyway.

Hopefully the purchase costs (from $1600 and UP) will come down but the cost to currently replace a 406 battery is around $350.

Cheers, Kerry.

adrian
10-04-2002, 03:15 PM
hi gang
when I gotmine the marine dealer told me that any marine dealer can service them does or has anyone ask them . as they sell the things in the frist place

anzac