PDA

View Full Version : Boat security while travelling

Luke
13-04-2002, 05:03 AM
Just interested to know how people secure their trailers and boats when staying overnight while travelling. I've had a good look around and the hitch helmets came up but for about $200 from autopro you can get a wheel clamp that covers your wheel nuts and I've been told makes it virtually unstealable without a grinder which makes a lot of noise anyway. Makes sense to use a hitch helmet and a clamp as then they can't take the boat or the car or both. What's everyones ideas and does anyone use these?
Cheers Luke

Jack_Lives_Here
13-04-2002, 07:03 AM
Yeh those hitch helmets are great. Last thing you want is comimg back from a top day on the barra up there and finding no trailer. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm33.gif I looked at them but didn't have the $$$$$ at the time. Bought a bracket from Sundown that does the same thing. I tow with it on and all. Gunna make a heap of noise if thet try to pinch it - grinder type theivery. Small investment for piece of mind.
I don't trust the old padlock and chain to the car routine any more - heard of too many boats being pinched from car parks.

Luke
13-04-2002, 07:21 AM
Yeh, Dave how much are those brackets worth. The reason I'm also looking at the wheel clamp is I can take the boat off and leave it there without it being moved by vehicle or hand. Even with the bracket on they could pick it up and carry it off by hand and grind later. Not a real heavy boat and two people could easily run her off on foot. The combo of both could be real good security. What do you reckon?
Cheers Luke

Jack_Lives_Here
13-04-2002, 09:09 AM
Yeh, pretty sound thought process to me. The bracket I got was about $50. Basic but works fine.

Cando
13-04-2002, 01:43 PM
Hi, just a quick note.. If your leave ya boat somewere, not only take your radio's sounders and what ever is not boted down with ya but take some of the boted things as well........ arrrr yes take ya prop as well or u could be like me and have no prop now.... :'( :'( :'( 2 min's is all it takes to lose a $500, 5hr old prop!!!! Was not happy :'( :'( :'(

Sniper
14-04-2002, 06:35 AM
Hi Everyone. The trailer locks that you are talking about are about the best on the market, just shop around for them. I myself work for Auto One in Maroochydore and have seen exactly the same product advertised in junk mail and magazines at almost twice our retail price so it pays to shop around. But the whole thing is that everyone should be able to leave things out without some lowlife knocking everything thaqts not bolted down off. We'll all be spending more time preventing crime than fishing soon, god help us
Bill >:(