PDA

View Full Version : FUEL ADDITIVES?????

mick
26-03-2002, 07:37 AM
CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WETHER PUTTING OCTANE BOOSTERS OR GUM AND TAR REMOVERS INTO MY FUEL, WILL DO ANY DAMAGE TO MY OUTBOARD. I AM A BIG FAN OF THESE ADDITIVES IN CARS. BUT I DONT KNOW SQUAT ABOUT OUTBOARDS.

FISH ON

The_Walrus
26-03-2002, 02:03 PM
;DI've always used a fuel supplement in all things mechanical.

This includes my 25/4 Yammi from the first time I started it. ;D ;D

Luc

adrian
26-03-2002, 02:37 PM
hi guys
are we talking about products like spitfire or similar things . I too would like some info on what you can add

anzac

Lucky_Phill
26-03-2002, 02:59 PM
What is the point of the additive ? These additives' for cars tend to be used for cleaning injectors, top end, and boost performance. They do not get better fuel economy ( noticeable anyway ).

The only thing that happens to a 2 stroke is a " varnishing " effect in the carbies. This can be solved with a good clean out.

I would contact your Motor Manufacturer for more details before trying these things.

Maybe a four stroke engine is different to the 2 banger. ???

Kerry
28-03-2002, 06:37 AM
Simple rule, don't use automotive additives in outboards.

Cheers, Kerry.

Fitzy
28-03-2002, 07:22 AM
Hi Kerry,
What about 4 strokes? Arent some of them basically car engines?

fitz

fisho
28-03-2002, 02:51 PM
I don't add fuel additives as such however I have always followed my marine mechanic's advice of using high grade petroleum (eg optimax) in my motor (a 2 stroke) - he claims you will receive cleaner running and better fuel economy - I have followed this advice for years and have no reason to disagree with him. ;)

Kerry
28-03-2002, 03:43 PM
Fitzy, 4S's might be a possibility but until there's some confirmed results I reckon I'd prefer someone else's motor to be the guinea pig first. Certainly heard of some of the new dfi's/efi's not liking some of this stuff at all (real bad news).

Fisho, I'll disagree with him especially running PULP type fuels in low compression motors, which many of the 2S outboards are. Different octane fuels have different burn times so without modifications to the engine the fuel can still be igniting and exhausting at once, which isn't good.

Cheers, Kerry.

Fitzy
29-03-2002, 11:41 AM
I don't add fuel additives as such however I have always followed my marine mechanic's advice of using high grade petroleum (eg optimax) in my motor (a 2 stroke) - he claims you will receive cleaner running and better fuel economy - I have followed this advice for years and have no reason to disagree with him. ;)
Hi Fisho,
One of the top Yammy mechanics in oz told me to ALWAYS run super in ALL 2 strokes. Recons they run better on it. They HAVE to reccomend ULP becasue that's what the law says. I got a 97 Merc 2 stroke that has only been run on super (or LRP) since brand new & I aint had a problem yet.
There's also some nasties in ULP that are normally run thu a catalitic converter in cars. However boats, whipper snippers, chainsaws etc don't have catalytic converters & your breathing them nasties that are worse than lead (Benzene?) straight into your system.

Fact or fiction? Truth or myth? Food for thought.

Waddyas reckon?

Fitzy..

Lucky_Phill
29-03-2002, 01:14 PM
That's strange Fitzy, Steve told me you run your Merc on Bundy Rum ???

I do believe you are right about running LRP. We do tend to breath a lot of fumes from the outboard moreso than stuff out the arse end of the car.

I think a lot more info is needed here. Good topic Mick ;D

Fitzy
29-03-2002, 01:54 PM
That's strange Fitzy, #Steve told me you run your Merc on Bundy Rum # #???

I do believe you are right about running LRP. #We do tend to breath a lot of fumes from the outboard moreso than stuff out the arse end of the car. #

I think a lot more info is needed here. #Good topic Mick #;D
Hi Phil,
Never that rum stuff. Aint touched it since I was 16. Possibly a drop or 2 of Dimple if anything. 8)

Best leave it at that, family site & all.

Fitzy..

Kerry
29-03-2002, 04:54 PM
Catalitic converters :-X now there's a real nasty piece of work :o, especially before they get hot, and they have to get hot, otherwise they don't work, but then if the right amount of material went into them in the first place to really made them work right they'd be worth a fortune and nobody except nobody would be able to afford them.

Anyway California in all it's "future plans" have declared that all inboard boat engines (the rest will follow I'm sure :P) will require converters by about 2005 (I think). Now apart from the fact that there isn't a catalitic converter invented yet that can handle water cooled exhausts, I suppose there's currently an opening for a good inventor.

Cheers, Kerry.

Katrina
29-03-2002, 06:49 PM
;D Russ says - regarding the use of Optimax type fuels in 2 stroke outboard motors. The recommended octane number of this fuel is slightly higher than LRP. After consulting with BP (I know optimax is a shell fuel! Wanted the opposition's point of view) I found that this fuel is a cleaner burning more reliable fuel than LRP, and also assists in the removal of carbon deposits from 2 stroke outboards. Care should be taken, however, not to constantly run "Optimax" through your system as it does clean out the engine, you only need to use it one in every 4 tanks to obtain the benefit of this fuel. Constant use of this fuel (Optimax), can create unnecessary wear to sleeves and rings. If used in the correct manner it will clean your fuel system, and promote prolonged outboard life. Please take note of the pamphlet available at Shell service stations, but disregard the every second tank theory, and drop it to one in every four. Further info can be obtained at BP fuel technology listed in the white pages. Rusty

Kerry
30-03-2002, 06:06 AM
Also now that BP has announced this ethanol trial in the SE (and probable expansion throughout the state) I believe somebody (like BP) needs to come out with some hard convincing facts/data that this concoction will not be harmful >:( to 2S's.

Many comments out of the U.S where this type of stuff has been available doesn't give a real good picture as far as 2S's are concerned.

Cheers, Kerry.

Luke
09-04-2002, 11:14 AM
Theres a bit on the do's and don'ts on additives on this site
www.maxrules.com
cheers Luke

Sniper
14-04-2002, 06:50 AM
Personally dont use them either in my car, boat, or lawn mower. If they work so well then the fuel companies would be blending them into their fuel. Have seeeeen what some of the "so-called" fuel system cleaners do to fuel filters in vehicles. It eats the fuel resistant glue away that hold the filter material to the housing causing the material to break down and travel though the system to your motor. Now you cant say that thats good for your motor!!! :o

Bill http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm5.gif

The_Walrus
14-04-2002, 04:30 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm1.gifIf they work so well then the fuel companies would be blending them into their fuel. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm1.gif

Sorry, can't agree with you. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm16.gif Fuel companies make asuitable product for the least possible cost. Blending more additives would cost more money. Besides which the manufacturers would not appreciate motors etc lasting longer and operatring with less need for replacement parts.

I've been using additives in my car & boat engines for many years without any downside. I would not operate machinery without them. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm16.gif

Luc

Sniper
15-04-2002, 02:35 PM
Been speaking with my brother in-law today about the subject (qualified motor mechanic). Said that there are some products that on the market that claim to clean fuel systems and such. Most do work but you got to watch how much you use. Just got to watch the cheap unknow brands. They use some chemicals that can sometime do damage. So if in doubt, go without, but if they work then fine. Suppose there is know real answer. Just curious how they go with pre mixed feul for 2stroke? Does it affect the oil at all??? Lucky I have a 4stroke.
Sorry to have upset you Walrus, never intended to.
Bill ;D

The_Walrus
16-04-2002, 12:13 PM
No offence taken, just don't lke to see the same brush applied to all. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm16.gif Some product out there are definitely on the vicious side http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm36.gif

Definitely look at the track record and how long they've been around.
Also what remedies if the machine does go bust & all instructions have been followed!!

Re 2-strokes, worked real well in my old mower and the whipper snipper don't seem to mind.

Luc

Sniper
16-04-2002, 03:34 PM
Walrus, that is a tricky one you have pointed out. If one follows all instructions to a tee, and something does go wrong, I suppose all that someone could do is return to the original supplier and queiry them. Working in the Auto industry I see a few claims such as these. Most of the time they can be solved quickly but if major damage happens then usually the manufacture of the products want to inspect the damage which takes time and doesn't alway gaurentee they will come to the party of the repair. Its just the gamble everyone takes with different purchaces unfortunately. Just hope it never happens to anyone.
Bill

Fitzy
16-04-2002, 06:24 PM
Has anyone tried "Motor Up"?
A couple of mates that are into drag racing recon it is absolutely fantastic for motor life & maximum horses.
They showed me a video of a motor treated with it that had the sump off, reving at 5000 rpm (no oil remember) for 10 minutes. It should have blown up but kept on going not a problem.
Costs alot but they recon it saves them thousands in worn, broken parts.
The video also showed boaties using it in 2 strokes.
Must be like a better version of Slick 50.

Cheers,

Fitz

Sniper
17-04-2002, 03:28 PM
There is also another prduct called Roil. Havent actually seen it used it myself and don't know to much about it either but customers I have spoken to swear by it. Prevents metal deteriation apparently. I'll try to find out about it at work tomorrow. Hany working for an auto shop sometimes.
Bill

The_Walrus
17-04-2002, 04:23 PM
I use products from Pro-Ma systems.

They have fuel & oil supplements, gease and a range of other things for cars, boats machinery etc..

Luc

Sniper
18-04-2002, 05:07 PM
Luc, were abouts do you get Pro-Ma. Would like to find out more about it. May start to stock it if you and others seam to swear by them.
Bill

dnej
19-04-2002, 06:14 AM
Optimax is a great fuel to use, but be aware that it also cleans out steel tanks , and puts crap into the fuel system, so make sure that you have spotless tanks before using.
Have a client that races using this product, but had the clean up problem.
Probably reccon it could fix the varnishing also.
David

The_Walrus
19-04-2002, 04:08 PM
Sniper,

Have send you an email. Pro-ma site is

http://www.pro-masystems.com.au/home_page.asp

Luc