PDA

View Full Version : Bad Fuel - Diesel - ?Bug

Amberjack
27-04-2002, 05:04 AM
I fueled up with diesel from a local marina, broke down out in the Bay and have had enormous problems getting the boat back in the water. Thoroughly cleaned out the fuel tanks, lines filters, injection pump and injecctors. I got it going yesterday and went for a shakedown cruise. Got back after one hours running and found dirty brown, water-like fluid in the water trap. It was almost full and I would guess the ratio of fuel used to dirty "water" to be about 2 litres fuel - 100 mil contamination.

I can't understand where this came from, unless there is a bug in the tank. I would appreciate info on how this bug operates, what it makes the fuel look like and how do I get rid of it.

I am not really convinced it is a bug as the substance is like water.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Ta

AJ http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm6.gif

skales
27-04-2002, 09:12 PM
Hi Amberjack You say it is diesel, BP fuel have been having trouble with alot of trucks and 4 wheel drives. They have taken the sulphar out of the mix in diesel and pump seals are breaking down along with injectors. BP have come to the party in fixing the problems by paying a percentage of repairs . I would looking to see who is supplying your last tank load and go from there.

adrian
29-04-2002, 10:27 AM
hi aj
the brown liquid could be water i had it in my 4wd used proma deisel to get rid of it . don't know how it got there but it's gone now.

anzac

webby
29-04-2002, 05:32 PM
Hi AJ, Had the same prob at work in my high pressure steam
cleaner runs heater element on diesel and got the bug in it
filter kept clogging up with slimey brown substance, started
using Pro-ma DT 5 plus concretrated diesel treatment to
get rid of it it has pbal for low sulphur protection.. what it does
is break surface tension of water, controls sludge built up
and kill fungus growth, it also helpd cleans the fuel system
and exhaust , you add 50ml to every 50litres of fuel. also
run it in my 4x4 diesel, due to some oil companies reducing
sulpur contents in their fuel, this product help rebuilt that
content and protects the seals thru the injector systems
and pumps, have been using it for some 12 month now
and adverse effect on engine running, its is marketed and
manufactured by Pro-ma System (Aust) 151 currumburra
rd ashmore qld tel 1800800 802. Give it a try
hope this helps
regards

Amberjack
30-04-2002, 05:44 AM
Guys

Thanks for the replies.

Brian

I will give this Proma a run. I e-mailed Caltex (Shell and Horizon Shores didn't want to know me). The guy there was very helpful and made suggestions along the same lines.

I will try to run it through this weekend and will follow up with a status report.

Thanks again :) :) :) :) :)

AJ (David)