PDA

View Full Version : One or two outboards

dnej
08-05-2002, 11:15 AM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm6.gif
Will want to upgrade my outboard in the future. Want to go from a 60 HP to a 70 or 90 Yamaha.
Are two 35 hp better than one 70 hp, or is two motors just twice the trouble. Want to get outside a bit, hence the need for the bigger motor.
Anyone with experience? Is transom width a problem. Its a 5.3m Stessl
David

Kerry
08-05-2002, 01:37 PM
With that size and type of boat I would be more inclined to stick with a adequate single than smaller twins like that. Twin 35's is not really equiv to a single 70 maybe more like equiv to a single 60 with the addition of extra drag, weight and requiring a little more fuel.

Not so much twice the trouble but there's certainly 2 of everything and I doubt if you would be travelling far enough offshore to really require the safety of twins.

A single and a good VHF radio

Cheers, Kerry.

adrian
13-05-2002, 05:03 AM
hi
i agree with kerry on this one i have 1 motor and when able i head outside a good radio eprib will do . with 2 motor don't forget you use twice the fuel or close to it also the range is halfed something to think about when outside gets bumpy the 100 litre tank is not really enough with 2 motors as you really have only 50 litres of fuel for each motor . and the trip cost will increase as the amount of fuel needed to get there goes up

anzac

Kerry
13-05-2002, 05:53 AM
A single engine (on average but averages will vary) tends to burn about 10% less fuel than comparable twins as in say comparing twin 35's to a single 60.

Cheers, Kerry,