View Full Version : EPIRB  Do I need 1?

26-05-2002, 10:21 AM
Just trying to find out if I need an EPIRB when I go fishing in Moreton Bay and just outside in say Mooloolaba Bay or just off Caloundra, not far out but. Can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone really. Some say yes, some say no. Whats the GO. Department of transport couln'd even give me a straight answer. Does anyone know the truth???

26-05-2002, 10:50 AM
g'day sniper,
straight from the Qld Department of Transport Maritime division website.
All boats operating beyond smooth and partially smooth waters must carry an Emergency Positioning Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB) if more than 2 nautical miles from land. "
The lines of these limits are easily obtainable from department of transport offices, they were in the booklet I used to get my licence & some sections of Moreton bay require you to carry an EPIRB. Even if you are not going more than 2 nautical miles offshore carry one, it could save your skin.

26-05-2002, 10:55 AM

Have you got a copy of Qld Transports map Moreton Bay Manly to Mooloolaba Boat Safety Chart Aug 1998. If you haven't I suggest you get one. Available from good tackle shops and boat yard.

On the back it shows Smooth water, partially Smooth Water,and open Water.

"1. All ships operating beyond Smooth & partially Smooth Waters and when more than 2 nautical miles from land must carry an EPIRB."

Open Water is north of a line from Skirmish Point to Comboyuro Point.

You are required to have various safety gear in the various waters. The requirement are in the Qld Transport's "Queensland Boating Safety Handbook". You should able to get a copy of this from Qld Transport.

Safe boating.


27-05-2002, 05:32 AM
g'day Wes & Sniper,
you can see where the confusion arises from the ambiguity in two slightly different sentences.
From the website quote (which I copied directly) the implication is you can be outside the smooth & partially smooth limits, but as long as you are within 2 nautical miles of land you DO NOT need (by law) an EPIRB.

From Wes' quote taken from the safety chart an ambiguity arises from the use of the word "and". I interpret it to mean the same as the website but it could be read to mean an EPIRB is required INSIDE smooth & partially smooth waters if you are further than 2 nautical miles from land. I think though if that was what they meant, it would read ".... OR when more than 2 nautical miles from land ...".

Does anyone have a copy of the act to see how it is worded.

nit-pickingly yours,

27-05-2002, 12:35 PM

You required to have an EPIRB when you are more than 2 nautical miles(nm) off land in open waters.

You do not required an EPIRB in the middle of Moreton Bay because it is within partially smooth waters. If you are less than 2 nm off Caloundra or Mooloolaba you are not require to carry one.

I suggest a marine EPIRB is a good idea even if you are not required by law.


28-05-2002, 05:27 AM
Legally no Epirb is required "in" Moreton bay as defined by the Smooth and Partially smooth waters definition which basically are south of a line joining Skirmish Point to Comboyuro Point. The Smooth waters are south of a line joining Cleveland Point to Amity point down to the spit.

Now one could travel without the legal requirement to carry an Epirb around from Comboyuro Point down the outside of Moreton and Stradbroke Islands as long as one is not more than 2NM from land.

Similar north from Skirmish Point alonf the seaward side of Bribie as long as one is less than 2nm from land.

The wording is "All boats operating beyond smooth and partially smooth water must carry and Emergency Positioning Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB) if more than 2 nautical miles from land".

or from the Equipment safety check list is an Epirb required for

Smooth Water (as defined) : No
Partially Smooth waters (as defined) : No
Beyond Smooth and partially Smooth waters : Yes, all boats (including non-registrable) operating in these limits more than 2 nautical miles from land.

From the wording it's fairly clear that says No EPIRB is legally required in Moreton bay as defined by the Smooth and partially smooth water limits and within 2nm of land outside these limits


Why #:o wouldn't you have one anyway, I would.

Cheers, Kerry.

28-05-2002, 05:40 AM
in six knots of current it will take 20 minutes to drift 2nm off shore. i take one every time without exeption(even in the fresh).

saftey first

28-05-2002, 08:53 AM
Same situation as you. Fishing outside of Bribie but still within the 2nm limit, but outside the partially smooth boundry. Just as the other guys have said - safety first. I figure the couple hundered $$$ is pretty good piece of mind.

28-05-2002, 05:03 PM
Slightly off topic, but, what is Pumicstone passage classified as, smooth or partially smooth.


28-05-2002, 05:14 PM

Pumicstone passage is smooth waters. The bottom of Bribie Island around to Skirmish Point within 0.5 nautical miles from the shore is also smooth water.

Its shown on the map.


02-06-2002, 04:08 PM
Tried to find out for sure by talking to the Department of Transport but after about 45 minutes going throught their computer menu on the phone to get to talk to an operator then finding out that they "were'nt sure" really well was a little frustrating. Just heard of some guys getting booked inside the zone in Mooloolaba bay for not carrying one. Next door neighbour, who works for a marine dealer up here on the coast said that he had heard that the laws had changed but couldn't find out for sure either. Its not that I'm not going to buy one as they are indeed a good investment if one is unlucky enough to have to use one but not everyone would have the same thoughts and may be booked for not carrying the right gear. Very Interesting as to the real ruling still.
Bill ???