PDA

View Full Version : Trim Tilt

benny
11-06-2002, 06:18 PM
Ello to one&all
What i have is the unit sits behind the transon next to the outboard.So it gets dround every time i go out.
Two days latter the damm thing wont work.
We remove the brushes clean with steel wool replace and works fine till next time.Can i apply grease to them to stop them from binding or will that do more harm then good.Have replaced orings on caps but moisture still manages to get in.
Any help i will be greatfull.
Thank you
Benny

squire
13-06-2002, 07:28 AM
Benny once water gets into fluid it becomes completely useless sometimes it will only lift half way and other times not at all. if water is getting into the brushes grease wont help at all its sounds to me that u have a pin hole in the wall of the main cylinder somewhere so you would be better of targeting that? Curious is it a johnston trim and tilt? and have you checked the fluid for water? regards Squire

benny
14-06-2002, 06:00 PM
Hello Squire
Thank you for your reply.
Fluid in the oil is not a concern. The problem lies in the brushes. I have removed the brushes cleaned them with steel wool and then it works fine. Until the next time, then we repeat the process. On removal the brushes seem to be jammed in there. Whether it is a build up of salt deposit or not, it requires a bit of effort to remove them.
The outboard itself is a Tohatsu model M55B. The trim tilt is unknown as it has no markings on it and would have to be 25-30 years old, at a guess. Any further response on the matter would be gratefully appreciated.
Waiting to fish...
Benny