PDA

View Full Version : 4.35 Hornet Trophy

macca
28-04-2002, 06:27 PM
I have decided to upgrade to this boat. I am now looking at what extra's I should put on the boat. To all you hornet owners what are the neccessities?
Is the side console a good option or do you loose to much space?
I was told today at the Tinny show that Quintrex will make custom changes to suit your needs.
I will be starting with a rod locker and the larger 60l live tank they now have and extending and raising the casting deck to the height of the anchor well.
Is there anything else I should consider without going over budget.

Thanks in advance

Macca

Mick-P
29-04-2002, 01:09 PM
Hi Macca,
I've just ordered a 435 Hornet Trophey and was'nt aware a 60l Live well was an option. Do you know if you need the underfloor fuel tank to accomodate the live well as I assume the live well will take up residence where the battery box and live bait tank currently is and the battery box will move over to where the removeable fuel tank compartment was. If that's the case it would be an expensive exercise as to get the 40litre underfloor tank I was quoted between $400 & $500. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm36.gif

macca
30-04-2002, 09:52 AM
I was told I could make the rear casting deck double width. This would allow the 60l well to be fitted in the extra space, as well as creating another compartment for storage, maybe extra fuel. I think the extra cost of the fuel tank is too much just to gain an extra10-15 litres. What specs are you getting ?

By the way I saw the new larger well in a Quintrex boat on the weekend.

Hope this helps

Macca

Mick-P
30-04-2002, 12:49 PM
I'm going with the 435 Trophey with 40 merc 2stroke tiller steer. It suits my type of fishing and the console would just be taking up room. I also went with a side pocket and upgraded the X29 sounder to an X51. I'm going with short side rails and getting them to add a mounding bracket for the Minn Kota. Also got the accesories kit, which includes nav light and bilge pump. If the Livewell goes in the back as you say then I dont know how you would go with a tiller steer, you may need a side or sports console. Did you get a price on adding the livewell as I have phoned a few dealers(NSW) and they could'nt tell me how much they were worth, and most did'nt know it was an option for the Hornet. One guy said the live well would go under the front casting platform.

macca
30-04-2002, 02:06 PM
Mick
I went to a local boat show on the weekend in Brisbane. One of the Quintrex dealers had two hornets on display.

There was a new model , which has just been released, the 445 Hornet Wildfish. I was told it is basically a Hornet 435 with a Maxi Transom added. It has a double width rear casting deck with 60l well, rod locker on the port side, sports console, a extended raised casting deck at the front with short side rails{455 hornet w/fish style}, another 60l well in the front, accessory pack, sounder, 60l under floor tank with a Mercury 50hp 4 stroke efi on h/duty trailer for $20,500.

They also had a tiller steer 435 Hornet trophy with double width rear casting deck sporting 60l well. The front casting deck had been raised to the same height as the anchor well deck and extended 300-400 mm also. It had a 60l well in the front too. The rails were taken off the front and small ones were used as above.The pedestal for the tiller steer went straight thru the extended rear casting deck i think. Believe it or not, this boat had 3 wells in it as it had the std one down the back next to the battery compartment.
Price somewhere arond $10000 for modified hull and h/duty trailer. Plus motor of course.

The dealer was Springwood Marine. It might be worth your while to give them a ring.

Cheers
Macca

aussiebasser
01-05-2002, 01:22 PM
Mick
I went to a local boat show on the weekend in Brisbane. One of the Quintrex dealers had two hornets on display.

There was a new model , which has just been released, the 445 Hornet Wildfish. I was told it is basically a Hornet 435 with a Maxi Transom added. It has a double width rear casting deck with 60l well, rod locker on the port side, sports console, a extended raised casting deck at the front with short side rails{455 hornet w/fish style}, another 60l well in the front, accessory pack, sounder, 60l under floor tank with a Mercury 50hp 4 stroke efi on h/duty trailer for $20,500.

They also had a tiller steer 435 Hornet trophy with double width rear casting deck sporting 60l well. The front casting deck had been raised to the same height as the anchor well deck and extended 300-400 mm #also. It had a 60l well in the front too. The rails were taken off the front and small ones were used as above.The pedestal for the tiller steer went straight thru the extended rear casting deck i think. Believe it or not, this boat had 3 wells in it as it had the std one down the back next to the battery compartment.
Price somewhere around $10000 for modified hull and h/duty trailer. Plus motor of course.

The dealer was Springwood Marine. It might be worth your while to give them a ring.

Cheers
Macca
That Black 435 was less than $14 grand as displayed without the Minn Kota. Trav may be able to shed some light on it. It is his boat after all. It looks a bit like this.

Travis
06-05-2002, 09:04 AM
macca l guess you were one of the 20 l spoke to about my custom hornett????????

It is the greatest decision l have made in getting myself one of these,and yes quintrex are very accomadating when it comes to modification.....So put in or take out whatever you dont need...

Mickp as writen, l have 2 x 60 litre live wells in the boat and l can still put a 65 litre underfloor fuel tank in if l wish.....l just extended the front and rear decks to suit...

Mick l will see you down at Forster next week and you can have a good look,you never know you maybe the unlucky one to pull me as a boater ;)

As for price the hull modified yes was around $10 gorillas and the motor to suit is up to you but l chose the 2 stroke USA mercury 40 for her and l can pull 35 MPH and she gets out and goes hard.........The motor is around $5 gorillas so it sits on the water for around $15000 and l have added a minn kota and other bits also.......

Basser geeez it look so much like that its not funny,somebody has copied it down to a T........hehehehehe

Hayden at Sprigwood Marine was the brains (of course) behind the building of my boat he can be contacted on
07)32085755

Mick-P
06-05-2002, 11:59 AM
I think the dealers up your way are more accomodating than in NSW. When I ordered my boat I inquired about a live well being added and was told by the dealer that Quintrex did'nt like making changes, as they would have to remove floatation etc etc and if any modifications were made, they would be expensive. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm36.gif.
Trav: I heard the smart money was on you for the comp http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm1.gif. I'll make sure I have a crawl around your boat while I'm up there, to steal a few ideas for my boat .

Travis
06-05-2002, 06:54 PM
Mick you have been given the wrong information the guys at Quintex are very accomadating when it comes to customizing your boat,and as far as the money goes from the standard hornet to mine it was around $1000 thats not bad with all the floor work,tanks and the paint job included.....

l'm going to forster to catch up with mates and have a ball if l catch a bream its a bonus.........

See ya there l'll be there Wednesday at the crack of dawn.....

StuH
01-06-2002, 06:07 AM
Hi Guys,
I ordered my hornet at the tinnie & tackle show and can't wait to get it. ;D ;D. After looking at Travs boat and talking to him I made a few mods including raising the front casting platform to one level, (gives a little extra storage as well), removing the front rails alltogether and mounting a bow roller.This combined with a bow mounted Minn Kota with auto pilot should be a neat little set up. I have also stuck with the 2 stroke Merc and standard fuel tank just to keep weight down to a minimum.
Trav, I just read in the latest QFM that the new hornets will have 3mm floor. Do you know when they are going to start building them like this?
Also how many hours run time could you expect with this motor and fuel set up?
Stu.

krazyfisher
01-06-2002, 09:33 PM
I just sold my 435 with 40hp standard tank would last between 1 days fishing up to 4 days depending on what motoring you did but I would say an easy 3 hr flat out I always took 2 tanks they are not easy to paddle.

sydfly
02-06-2002, 04:20 PM
Hi Macca,i have the 5 meter and although a lot bigger i dont regret raising the rod locker to the gunwhales.I also got a mounting bracket for minn kota fitted and rails around (great for rod holders and accessories) cheers,Justin.

Travis
17-06-2002, 05:01 PM
Stu just saw your post as you are about to pick up the boat in the next few days l'm just in time with my response ::).....

Your boat looks great,it has the new shaped bottom with the 3 mm sheets must be close to the first one,the minn is on it looks the goods ready to go........

Run in time is 20 hours the first few are the most important though with a variation in throttle use the way to go and dont open it up straight away no matter how tempting ;D

They arn't as bad on fuel as you would expect they are great boat and l know you will enjoy it........

l am about to update to a 50 2 stroke with power tilt \trim and key start .....more speed, more speed.... 8)

StuH
18-06-2002, 07:26 AM
Trav,
You may have noticed I now have the US 40Hp Merc, had a bit of a supply problem with the other and Graeme has looked after me really well.
The boat should be on it's way this week and I will pick it up in Rocky and head out around Yeppoon for a spin this w/e.
Have scored really well to with the new 3mm bottom and thanks to your suggestions I think I have come up with a top outfit. (Have I plugged you guys enough yet for a few freebies?) ;)
The 50 sounds like a great option but how do you think the extra weight will affect your's?

Travis
18-06-2002, 11:25 AM
the 50 has no extra weight in her so it will be good........l still have future plans of the forward underfloor fuel tank so this will help if it were heavier......

l noticed the motor but l didnt realise that you wern't going that way from the start,good decision though....

sorry mate l missed the plug to where you got your hornet where was it again??????

It looks good enjoy........

StuH
23-06-2002, 04:21 AM
Sorry about that Trav.

Springwood marine, particularly Graeme and Trav have done a great job in helping me fit out my boat and getting it delivered and I would thoughourly recommend them to anyone after a new Quintrex.
They really know their stuff.

Stu.