PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Buying Tinny

cHiCo
25-05-2002, 04:18 PM
G`day
I am after some advice on buying a 13 - 14' tinny. Console or tiller doesnt matter. Would like to know what to look for and what to avoid.
Regards
cHiCo :)

davo
25-05-2002, 05:38 PM
Chico,

Your question is very open ended but from some of my experiences a few things are important.
This is for pressed alloy. Firstly get a 3mm bottom they have a much longer fatigue live and also while making the boat stronger, add weight and improve ride. For a new hull if you really like the design you can always pay a little extra and get the heavier sheeting it makes a huge difference.

Crewed down plywood floors a common place in tinnies and should be removed cleaned under approx every 12months.
Remember stainless steel and alloy don't mix so lube all floor screws with something like a silicon grease or Tecyle spray so the threads don't seize in.

Paint jobs are excellent even on a tinnie even if only the inside is painted firstly for your own comfort but for corrosion. Make sure your trailer has heaps of centre rollers and the boat is evenly loaded on the trailer. Skids on the
side are much better than rollers as small dents can appear on the hull (found that one out the hard way!)

For fastenings use all alloy pop rivets (alloy stem etc...) and if you use a stainless boat make teflon washers to isolate the stainless steel from the alloy.

A friend of mine up north has found to his peril that not washing the boat down properly has let the salt sit in behind the keel and chine extrusions and now his boat is swiss cheese. Wash them with soap the salt still sticks after hosing.
A mate of mine is even using Lanolin on the inside intrusion areas to stop long term corrosion.

If second hand don't buy if it's been rewelded, chances are the fatigue life left is short.

Buy a name, when you sell it the resale is much higher and they don't get a good name for nothing.

Savage, Quintrex Stessl just to name a few.

Good luck
davo

cHiCo
27-05-2002, 04:43 PM
Cheers Davo
your advice is great and i will keep it in mind.
Regards
cHiCo

deb
31-05-2002, 09:43 AM
Chico,
What Dave said is absolutely spot on ;D, I just went through the exercise to pick one up to take north, be very very very wary of the private ad's, you will meet some lovely people with every story under the sun and see some absolute shockers! Watch the age, anything over 15 years needs a survey if you want to insure it. Having said that, I bought a original oldie and am really pleased with it. Good luck 8)

cHiCo
02-06-2002, 05:54 PM
Thanx alot for the advice fellas
Good luck fishing
cHiCo

Cando
14-06-2002, 07:02 PM
#Watch the age, anything over 15 years needs a survey if you want to insure it. Having said that, I bought a original oldie and am really pleased with it. #
Hi there.. just had to put my 2c in...I just insured my 4m quinnie 1979 model with a new 40hp on the back for $7500 for the cost of about $316... Without a survey needed...It was with Culb Marine... Just for your Info
Good luck
Noel

cHiCo
16-06-2002, 03:54 PM
thanks Cando
I think it really depends on what sort of condition ya boat is in. Anyway cheers
cHiCo

Rosso
26-06-2002, 11:14 AM
Aviod holes :-)

You most defently don't want them in the bottom or anywhere else for that matter (unless its the bungs)

Good Luck!

Rosso.

deb
01-07-2002, 09:12 AM
Without a survey needed...It was with Culb Marine... Just for your Info

Noel, our boats are with Suncorp Metway, but hey pays to shop around ;D